PDA

View Full Version : Any sign of Winter in the near future?

Ryan
01-05-2007, 09:07 AM
I live 1.5hr NW of NYC.

Rain is on its way, and its supposed to be around 63 degrees tomorrow.

Yesterday I was comfortable in a T-shirt.

My thermometer read 47 degrees this morning at 7am.

Ive heard some reports recently that this is the first time in 111 years NYC has had no snow in November and December.

Flowers are blooming in NJ.

Etc, etc.

I haven't been able to catch much lately on The Weather Channel or local news regarding this record warmth in the Northeast. All I can see is their 10 day outlook, which shows more rain and temps in the 40s and 50s. I assume you guys have better access and "inside" information regarding forecasting and can shed some light on any potential changes coming our way in the forseeable future? Is it possible (read: likely) this will continue for the rest of the season and would it indicate a possible record setting Summer as well?

Thanks,

Ryan

Bill O
01-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I consider that to be dream land and the forecasts for that time frame have all been wrong this winter. The big problem when you have record warmth is that the models always want to return things to normal at the end of their forecast period. It happened all last winter, and its happening again.

It's unlikely that a warm winter will translate into a hot summer. The forces at play here are totally different. Everyone thinks last summer was hot, but I only recored 6 days above 90.

Buds are getting very green in Connecticut. We might see some leaves if the sun pops out today or tomorrow.

Pete S
01-05-2007, 12:28 PM
A Maple syrup producer in Waterville, VT has made over 1000 gallons already this season---2 1/2 months before the taps used to go into the trees!

Bill O
01-05-2007, 03:28 PM
A Maple syrup producer in Waterville, VT has made over 1000 gallons already this season---2 1/2 months before the taps used to go into the trees!

That's crazy.

Pete...do you recall any winters like this in the past? There has to be some, they just seem to get forgotten.

I remember back in the 90's when the ski areas lost all there snow in a January thaw. Not sure, what year maybe 94 or 95.

rockin rex
01-05-2007, 03:48 PM
But if I remember correctly they had an extremely good Dec. ski season that year for skiing. This is the first time I remember ski resorts closing down. I can't remember ever not having any snow thru Jan. For skiers like myself this is horrible!!!!!!!!! When was the last time people in the northeast were in shorts in Jan. (OUTSIDE) Please mother nature smile upon us with cold weather and snow.

Doyle
01-05-2007, 08:27 PM
weather is changing not only here, Dehli was around 32 degrees today, this is a place where they never need insulation.

I CA last year it rained 9 months of the year, and the west this year it snowed with accumulation in Vegas in Nov. and don't forget about Seattle where it has snowed at least 2 times this year, it snows very rarely in Seattle to the point that they do not have trucks for treating the roads.

Weather patterns are locked in place, hence the extremes in high's, low's and precipitation in different area's of the Country and world

Ryan
01-06-2007, 07:09 AM
low 60s at 7am!! crazy

Bill O
01-06-2007, 08:06 AM
60 in coastal CT, and 180 miles to the north at my place in VT its 58.

Doyle
01-06-2007, 09:54 AM
I agree, things are going to change in the next week and a half, at least back to normal. Finally the JetStream with push the colder air south 63.1 at 9:45 here in Lowell (right on the NH border)

Bill O
01-06-2007, 02:23 PM
72F and sunny. Lots of fair weather cumulus.

Patrad Fischroy
01-06-2007, 10:14 PM
and here in Colorado we have had three weeks and three snowstorms with a total accumulation of about 5 feet in the Front Range. Here we hope that it stays as snow for a bit so we can be drinking it this summer.

Ryan
01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
looks like you guys have found some cold air, but still in the low-mid 40s here. no snow for us but at least you guys might get something frozen. we do have a flood watch though haha.

Brad
01-27-2007, 07:40 AM
The Conditions image at 6:15 Am is very interesting. 0 degrees F on the summit. And -14 at the base. that is quite a difference.

http://images20.fotki.com/v382/photos/1/1002902/4445389/20070127_062435_conditions-vi.jpg
http://public.fotki.com/MWO/favorites/2007/20070127062435conditions.html

Bill O
01-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Unusual, but very predictable. This always happens when you have warm air advection. The upper levels warm more easily than low levels. Cold air stays in the valleys and radiational cooling continues, while we saw Mount Washington warming all day yesterday.

Later this morning when the wind picks up the valleys will quickly recover above Mount Washington.

AlpineHikerFan71
01-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Warm front approaching from the SW today. Good cause of the that warm up on top like Bill said. Again it will change, it is actually lightly snowing here in south central NH dut to the front. this band has held together since last evening in Southeast PA

Brad
01-27-2007, 10:24 AM
I love the fact we have this type of data available to us now - so easy to get at.

Ryan
01-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Well I dont have much to add so far. At least you guys up there got a good taste of winter.

The coldest temperature I saw in my backyard over the past few days was -2 on my digital thermometer. I think that was on Wednesday morning around 7am. But still no snow storms this season, and only a mere dusting once or twice from a passing snow shower. Apparently we set a record here in the Lower Hudson Valley with no measureable snowfall so late in the season (dont remember the exact date). And the extended outlook doesnt show much potential into the first week of February. At this point Im just about ready for Spring.