PDA

View Full Version : Pictures: Summit Volunteer Week - March 25 through April 1st

h2oeco
04-03-2009, 08:09 AM
I've just returned from a week at the summit as a volunteer - here are some of my pictures:

http://www.ecomalley.com/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=3213

http://www.ecomalley.com/mwoposts/towersunrise.jpg

Enjoy!

Ed

CHRIS
04-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Absolutley fantastic pictures Ed.Your photos never cease to amaze me. Looks like you had some fantastic weather the week you were up there. I envy you and hope that some day I have a chance to volunteer. Just need the time. It must be great to have the summit basically alone. Besides the crew of course. Marty really sticks out being black in the white snow. Thanks for everything you do and for taking the time to share your pictures with us.

Charlie
04-03-2009, 08:49 AM
very nice pictures
the Shutter Speed Value changes for different pictures ,do you change this or is it automatic

billysinc
04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Nice shots.

I thought pix 47, 48, and 48 were the best. Makes me want to go get a wide angle lens.

h2oeco
04-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the compliments. In answer to Charlie's question, I use both manual and automatic modes/settings on my camera.

Ed

BlueDog
04-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Beautiful pics Ed! Looks like I missed a great time to be up there. Things didn't work out like I had hoped for, to do the EMS overnighter. Guess I'll have to wait for next winter.

KathyC
04-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Ed, those are really beautiful pictures...

Was your friend John up with you again? I read the article about you and him in the last Windswept.......That is you, Right???:)

mtruman
04-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Just a fantastic album. Some really amazing shots of the undercast. Marty is clearly the star of the show though. Does that crazy cat really like the snow? And how come there are no pictures of the kittens?

h2oeco
04-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Marty really does seem to enjoy the snow - he was out on the summit with Ali (intern) and I several times during the week, for an hour or more each time. The Observatory specifically asked for help in getting pictures of Marty, which is why there is a focus on him. In the course of the week, I probably took a few hundred pictures of Marty.

Ed

Brad
04-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Wonderful pictures. I will volunteer to go to the summit for a week and take pictures of Marty.

Charlie
04-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Wonderful pictures. I will volunteer to go to the summit for a week and take pictures of Marty.

i said you can go with me and i will do the coking and you take the pictures :D

h2oeco
04-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Brad - you should be aware that there were over 100 hours of cooking - not including general cleaning, as compared to only about 3 hours of Marty photo-shoot...

:-)

Ed

Charlie
04-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Brad - you should be aware that there were over 100 hours of cooking - not including general cleaning, as compared to only about 3 hours of Marty photo-shoot...

:-)

Ed

thats why i said i will cook
he can set the table :)

forestgnome
04-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Nice images! Thanks for sharing :)

h2oeco
04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Glad everyone is enjoying the pictures. It was a great week!.

Ed

Patrad Fischroy
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Getting a good shot of an all black cat in bright sunlight with all that snow has got to be a real challenge. I can hardly think of any film or sensor that has enough dynamic range to get it all in one shot. I think this is a place where I would have to resort to some photoshopping skills, if just to get some detail out of Marty and not have the snow all blown out. These shots are some of the best that I have seen yet, but they are still lacking the detail in his coat. If you have these shots in a raw format, you might want to try doing some High Dynamic Range processing (HDR). Believe me the composition is wonderful, I just think the medium is not able to capture the detail at such a wide range.

h2oeco
04-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the ideas - Re: tweaking in photoshop, you're right. I worked with the one of Marty on the tracks, and was able to improve it quite a bit.