PDA

View Full Version : Best place to live in northern NH?

krummholz
04-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Due to a change in my personal circumstances, I am planning to sell my house in Gloucester, Mass., and move somewhere in the White Mountain region so that I can be right near the mountains I love to hike in. I'm a freelance editor, which means I don't have a lot of money but I can do my work from anyplace that I park my computer. I'd like to buy a small inexpensive house that hopefully has some trees around it.

So...any thoughts? Littleton? Lincoln? Gorham? Conway? Plymouth? Whitefield? Colebrook? (etc., etc.).... Just off the top of your head--impressions, ideas welcome!:)

Jenny B. (a.k.a. krummholz)

hobbes
04-04-2009, 12:14 PM
When we decided to move north (from Northern Virginia), we rented a house for a year to get a feel for the area and see what the community was like to live in. Although I had been coming to the Mount Washington Valley for 20 years prior (on vacation), I figured until I lived here I wouldn't know it that well. As a result we ended up buying a house in a neighborhood we didn't even know about near Conway Lake beach, and have been quite pleased with the choice (great neighbors, mountains nearby, kayaking a short distance away, ...). Frankly, the only thing that would make it better is if it was more of a "college town," but all the other great things about this place (and people too) more than make up for it.

Brad
04-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I would probably look at the Gorham and Randolph areas. Far enough away from the summer crowds but you can get to a bigger town (N Conway) pretty easily. I have a friend in Randolph and the trails go right past his house.

FisherCat
04-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Just get north of the Notches and you will be fine, trust me I know, I'm from Jefferson!:D

All depends on what you want (the following is all opinion) Littleton is your best bet for a town on the grid. Lisbon area is nice, so is Bethlehem. It will get cheaper the farther north you go. Good deals for buying or renting can be found in Gorham & Berlin, even cheaper in Milan, Dummer, and such. Even up near Stark.You have alternatives in that area. Brad is right, Randolph is great, but there are a lot of long-timers there and houses for sale aren't as common as they can stay in the family awhile, when they go up for sale they can go fast.

Subscribe to the Coos County Democrat (online or print, I still get my print down here but an online sub is included with the price) or Berlin Daily Sun.

If by chance you want a college-like town, take Plymouth, its south of the Notches but still in striking distance.

Another option is the Lancaster, Whitefield, Lunenburg area. Lots of houses and apts. for rent and sale. Lancaster is a nice town. Whitefield has a great Common too.

Of course, my fav is Jefferson, but not everyone gets to grow-up in a homemade log cabin that abuts National Forest and can only have been seen by airplane. Some of us are just lucky!;)

Tim&Val
04-05-2009, 07:25 PM
I guess as a resident of Ashland, I am voting for the Plymouth area. It gives you a relatively short drive to the first Notch (Franconia) but still leaves you only an hour from Manchester, if needed.

We *love* Ashland and could not be happier with our home purchase back in 2005. We got ourselves a tiny boat and enjoy summer afternoons on Little Squam Lake.

That being said, there are times in the summer when the "tourists" really outnumber the "residents". I put it in quotes because "tourists" means Mass folks and "residents" must have family that goes back several generations in Ashland. :D

We'll probably never be considered locals, but that's OK. Some folks were surprised the first time that we stayed through a winter here.

We love it, and I'm sure you'll love it too, no matter where you choose. We moved from Wilmington, Delaware and it was the best decision of our lives.

Valerie

krummholz
04-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like Hobbes' idea of renting in the area to give me lots of time to explore the region. It'll probably be a matter of weighing lower costs/a more peaceful, out-in-the-woods feeling/fewer amenities (north of the notches) versus lots of things to do/restaurants, movies, etc./also more traffic and real estate more expensive (south of the notches).

rockin rex
04-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Once the kids are out of school we will be moving to New Hampshire. I have looked in many areas and I have settled on the Gorham area. It is close to Maine and the 100 mile wilderness and yet right in the White Mountains. I have looked at home prices in Gorham and they are very reasonable. This town also attracts me because it is a major Appalachian Trail Town. I guess the bottom line is any place in New Hampshire is better than living any where else ( Especially New Jersey :))

FisherCat
04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Once the kids are out of school we will be moving to New Hampshire. I have looked in many areas and I have settled on the Gorham area. It is close to Maine and the 100 mile wilderness and yet right in the White Mountains. I have looked at home prices in Gorham and they are very reasonable. This town also attracts me because it is a major Appalachian Trail Town. I guess the bottom line is any place in New Hampshire is better than living any where else ( Especially New Jersey :))

I agree with everything you say, when our daughter has graduated (2 years to go) we're going back home to NH. Only caveat: be prepared for tough job situations.

hobbes
04-06-2009, 12:35 PM
I guess the bottom line is any place in New Hampshire is better than living any where else ( Especially New Jersey :)) Yeah, I'd have to agree with you... First time I came to NH was from Exit 8 (NJ TPK) with my school's Outing Club.

RI Swamp Yankee
04-06-2009, 12:40 PM
... I guess the bottom line is any place in New Hampshire is better than living any where else ( Especially New Jersey :)) or Rhode Island :(

Here is a good site to look at Real Estate listings:

http://www.nneren.com/

mtruman
04-06-2009, 05:54 PM
or Rhode Island :(

What, the RI Swamp Yankee doesn't like Rhode Island?;) I have to say that there are down sides with the current job situation and housing market in RI, but outside of Maine, New Hampshire or Northern California (which each have their own unique downsides) I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be. We've got the ocean, the wonderful New England seasons (which I suppose are an acquired taste but something I really love) and we're still only a couple of hours from "the north country". We may migrate north someday as well (we discuss it regularly) but I wouldn't feel too bad if we just stayed here...

Charlie
04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
or Rhode Island :(

Here is a good site to look at Real Estate listings:

http://www.nneren.com/

this is a good site i have bin looking at it for a long time now dreaming of moving soon

h2oeco
04-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Mark,

Where are you in Rhode Island?

Ed

mtruman
04-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Mark,

Where are you in Rhode Island?

Ed

East Greenwich

RI Swamp Yankee
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
What, the RI Swamp Yankee doesn't like Rhode Island?;) ....
Well, we do have more taxes than New Hampshire :rolleyes: but NH has better air, views, Mt. Washington, and some really good people.

MelNino
04-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I do like RI (great chowder), I try to make the quick drive a few times year....I'd rather swim in RI than CT.

Would love to make the move to NH...just need to figure out where/when/ and have a really good excuse

Debi
04-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I live in Amherst which is in the south central part of the state. We love it here. Has gotten a little busier since we moved in 10 years ago and some day we hope to move closer to Tim&Val but it's a good place. We are about 60-90 minutes from Boston, the ocean, and the mountains. Don't get north enough, but love the state as a whole