PDA

View Full Version : Seek the Peak Fundraising and Participation

h2oeco
04-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Many of you here probably read Cara's recent email or saw Scot's video, both under the heading "Storm Clouds on the Horizon." Obviously, when the economy slows down, everyone suffers, but non-profit organizations are hit the hardest. When money becomes tight, one of the first things that gets cut off are charitable donations.

As a result, Seek the Peak is even more important than ever this year. It is the Observatory's largest annual fundraiser, and if we all make our best effort, it can make a huge difference to the Observatory in a bad year.

To that end...

Sign up up for Seek the Peak! If you haven't already signed up, please do! Then start raising money! The event is a lot of fun - great people, great prizes, and of great benefit to the Observatory - and in turn, costs you very little out of your own pocket. There is no entry fee - raise $100 - then you just have to get yourself there, and hike.

If you have signed up already, why are you here reading the forums instead of out raising money for the Observatory? :-) Ask everyone you know - friends, family, clients, co-workers, businesses that you frequent, etc. - the worst that they can do is say no!

$100 = 10 $10 donations. $100 will get you in the door! Try asking 10 people/places - parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, your favorite bar/restaurant/coffee shop, the local hardware store or general store where you've shopped your entire life, even your boss, and so on.

By way of example, I asked the owner of an online business that sells flashlights, headlamps, etc. to contribute - in my email, I explained that a number of things I have bought from him are gear that I use when I volunteer at the Mount Washington Observatory - and received a $50 donation - I have never met this person or spoken to him on the phone - and yet he contributed. It can be done!

If you are uncomfortable with fundraising, but still want to participate, simply sign up anyway, and donate $100 of your own.

If you are unable to participate in this year's event, considering supporting someone who is. If you read these forums, it is likely that you "know" many of the people who have already signed up for Seek the Peak - pick one, and make a contribution. It all goes to the observatory, and it is all tax deductible.

To sign up: http://www.seekthepeak.org/register.php

To support a hiker: http://www.seekthepeak.org/hikers.php?o=rd

I raised a lot of money for the Observatory last year, and am off to a good start this year. If you have any fundraising questions, feel free to ask me, either by posting here, or by sending me a private message.

Ed O'Malley

Summit Volunteer

BlueDog
04-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Great post Ed!

As Ed mentions, I'm one of those people that's a little uncomfortable about going around asking for money. However, I'll let folks in on an idea that netted me at least $1200 in donations last year.

I'm an active member of a car club that has two track events a year at local road courses. At one event, I spent some time going to several spots around the track and took pictures. After the event I cleaned up the photos and posted them on our club website and then offered the hi-res versions in exchange for a donation to support my StP campaign.

mtruman
04-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Great suggestions Ed. There are many ways of fund raising that I'm sure that most people wouldn't think of. Your example of soliciting the donation from the online merchant is a really good one. You're right too - the best way to do it is just get started, and then keep at it. It would be good to hear more of any unique methods that people are using in their fundraising efforts. Post them in this thread so that others can take advantage of them. Hopefully there will be more ideas being shared with everyone in the upcoming webcast as well.

faegilr
04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the reminder! I just emailed my family and got 50 bucks for me and my boyfriend already :)

You might also look into mini-grants. I've gotten one in the past from Harvard Pilgrim and it was for $500 so that is a great easy way to get money raised.

RI Swamp Yankee
04-09-2009, 12:43 PM
... If you are unable to participate in this year's event, consider supporting someone who is. If you read these forums, it is likely that you "know" many of the people who have already signed up for Seek the Peak - pick one, and make a contribution. It all goes to the observatory, and it is all tax deductible. ....
Excellent idea for the many readers here.

h2oeco
04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Another idea to consider... When I returned from my recent volunteer week, I emailed a link to my pictures to about 70 people - one of them just responded, apologized for not giving last year, and then proceeded to donate $100. If you have pictures from last year's Seek the Peak, or any other MW/MWO related event, be sure to include a link to them if you are contacting your donors via email. If you only have a single picture of yourself, perhaps on the summit or the like, and don't have any sort of online gallery, consider attaching that to your fundraising email. People like to see what you're up to and what they're contributing to...

Ed

h2oeco
04-22-2009, 09:55 AM
As of this morning, the top Seek the Peak fundraisers are:

• ecomalley (Edwin O'Malley) $2895
• StephenSargent (Stephen Sargent) $1300
• BlueDog (Erich Rainville) $925
• BradBradstreet (Brad Bradstreet) $595

For the rest of you - get cracking on your fundraising, sign up and hike, or send in your money to those who are hiking!

:-)

Remember that small donations add up - 20 $5 donations is all it takes to reach $100. I suspect that many of the people in your lives could spare $5.00...

Remember that the Observatory's fiscal year ends on April 30th - if you are considering donating, DONATING NOW rather than later will help their year-end numbers.

Click here to support a hiker of your choice...
(http://www.seekthepeak.org/hikers.php)

The same goes for membership too - if you have considered joining, but just haven't gotten around to it, please join now (https://secure3.convio.net/mwobs/site/SPageNavigator/membership/membership_center).

Thanks.

Ed

mtruman
04-22-2009, 07:11 PM

? ecomalley (Edwin O'Malley) $2895
? StephenSargent (Stephen Sargent) $1300
? BlueDog (Erich Rainville) $925
? BradBradstreet (Brad Bradstreet) $595

For the rest of you - get cracking on your fundraising, sign up and hike, or send in your money to those who are hiking!

Thanks for the nudge to everyone Ed (and congrats to the top fund raisers). My fundraising email just went our to 235 of "my closest friends". Hope the donations start rolling in. Can't wait to see everyone on top on 7/25...

MsCntry
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM

? ecomalley (Edwin O'Malley) $2895
? StephenSargent (Stephen Sargent) $1300
? BlueDog (Erich Rainville) $925
? BradBradstreet (Brad Bradstreet) $595

I wanna know who Ed, Erich, and Stephen are robbing to get these huge donations!! LOL Give me a clue how you are doing this PLEASE!! :D

mtruman
04-23-2009, 09:55 PM
After a month of procrastination I finally got my STP pledge emails out yesterday. $400 of pledges in on the first day and more promised. (Hmmm, that's 40% of a fleece :rolleyes:). Sometimes all you have to do is ask! Let's all get to it and make this another record breaking year!

Brad
04-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Great show Mark! $400 a day in contributions for each day between now and STP will be a great addition to the coffers. Keep up the good work and give Ed a run for his money.

BlueDog
04-26-2009, 04:22 PM
I wanna know who Ed, Erich, and Stephen are robbing to get these huge donations!! LOL Give me a clue how you are doing this PLEASE!! :D

As mentioned before... this past week was out April car club track day. I took about 1800 pictures and have been editing and posting them. I give all my pictures away and ask that if people like the pics and use them they make any size donation to STP, what ever they think they are worth. You can check it out on quattroworld.com (http://forums.quattroworld.com/midatlantic/msgs/6634.phtml) and see the replies. I have a lot more pics to edit and been asked to take pics at another event in May, where I'll do the same deal.

Also, last year at my company picnic, I won a prize to attend a air dog fighting school/experience. I made a deal with my boss to trade in prize for a donation to MWO/STP.

mtruman
04-26-2009, 04:44 PM
As mentioned before... this past week was out April car club track day. I took about 1800 pictures and have been editing and posting them. I give all my pictures away and ask that if people like the pics and use them they make any size donation to STP, what ever they think they are worth. You can check it out on quattroworld.com (http://forums.quattroworld.com/midatlantic/msgs/6634.phtml) and see the replies. I have a lot more pics to edit and been asked to take pics at another event in May, where I'll do the same deal.

Also, last year at my company picnic, I won a prize to attend a air dog fighting school/experience. I made a deal with my boss to trade in prize for a donation to MWO/STP.

Terrific ideas Erich. Lots of creative ways to ask for (or suggest) donations based on related events. A good thing that many of us could probably find a way to put into our fundraising bag of tricks. Hopefully there will be more ideas about how to conduct a successful STP campaign in the upcoming webcast. Right Scot? ;)

h2oeco
04-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Another aspect of this sort of fundraising is to simply talk to A LOT of people - if you don't ask, you won't get. Since starting sometime in February, as of today, I've contacted 106 people re: contributing to Seek the Peak. $162.50 has come in so far today...

Ed

mtruman
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Another aspect of this sort of fundraising is to simply talk to A LOT of people - if you don't ask, you won't get. Since starting sometime in February, as of today, I've contacted 106 people re: contributing to Seek the Peak. $162.50 has come in so far today...

Ed

Hmmm - I sent my pledge invitations to 235 people so if I get the equivalent returns I should be well over $5000 by June and on my way to the summit next winter. ;) Not quite on that curve yet. Great response the first 2 days and then drastic tapering off. Still working on the strategy for keeping the request alive without getting too much in people's faces.

One technique that I'm starting this week is wearing my STP shirt from last year to work and other locations where I see the folks that I've asked for pledges. I've also added a STP decal to the back window of my car and am parking in next to the walkways that people go by on their way into the office every day. Just some subtle reminders...

Brad
04-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Mark,

How is that car wash idea coming? The one with the girls in STP T-shirts.

mtruman
04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Mark,

How is that car wash idea coming? The one with the girls in STP T-shirts.

Now you're just trying to get me in trouble. Besides, I only have one shirt... :rolleyes:

CHRIS
04-29-2009, 08:54 AM
One shirt is good they can just keep passing it around after every car :D.
Bet that would raise a few bucks..

crudio
04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
A car wash, eh? That's right up there with the "Men on Top" calendar idea, haha!

In all seriousness, I just wanted to respond to a few comments regarding the webcast. I'm working on content, but am torn on whether it should be a webcast or a simple pre-recorded video. I'm nervous about all the technology involved in putting on a webcast (not to mention the overwhelming task of choosing a host!). Either way, the presentation will pretty much just be a Power Point. Any strong feelings about a webinar vs. video?

h2oeco
04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
A pre-recorded video plus a FAQ document is probably enough. A FAQ can address most of the questions that might otherwise be asked/discussed live (in a webcast), beyond the scope of the video.

Ed

Patrad Fischroy
04-29-2009, 12:56 PM
The biggest advantage to a webinar would be the back and forth that you could be getting from a participant. Sometimes, even the best ideas can be made better through discussion and collaboration. Another advantage is that once it is over you could have the recording available for download or streaming to those that missed the original airing. It can also serve as a framework for next year.

BlueDog
04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I think we have such a diverse group here in terms of career fields and such, that trying to get everyone at their computers at the same time might prove difficult. If we were all pixel-pushers and code-monkeys (like I am) who are in front of the computer and on the Internet 40+ hours a week, that'd be different. So, I think a recorded video using screen cast, flash video, would be the bet method.

mtruman
04-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Either one will certainly work. The webcast seemed like a good idea because it would allow interactive participation but Erich is probably right. My vote would still be to go that way though since it should still be easy enough for those less tech savvy to just play the webcast and for those that are interested and able to participate.

Patrad Fischroy
04-30-2009, 09:44 AM
I still think the back and forth would be valuble. If you were to offer up a few, say 3-5, diverse time slots when you wanted to do it and asked when people could participate, you could then just choose the time slot that had the greates participation. Even if everyone was not able to attend, there would at least be some interaction. I am assuming that the cost to pull something like this off is not too onerous.

Brad
05-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I count 96 people who have raised $100 or more for STP09. Let's keep it coming.

BlueDog
05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
I see you're about to hike the $1k mark! :) Moved into 2nd over the weekend, but that Ed has a big lead. Don't know if I can catch him before he laps the whole field!

Steve M
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm half way to $100. Woo Hoo :) Now if I could get the other half I would at least secure my place at the dinner table. :D

h2oeco
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I see you're about to hike the $1k mark! :) Moved into 2nd over the weekend, but that Ed has a big lead. Don't know if I can catch him before he laps the whole field!

Last year I made it to $5,225, this year I hope to beat that... :-)

mtruman
05-04-2009, 01:37 PM

I'm hanging on in the top ten. Gave up very early on catching Ed but hope to still have a shot at some of the other top guns. Need to find a couple of those $500-at-a-whack donations. Sure adds up better that way. ;)

BlueDog
05-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Last year I made it to $5,225, this year I hope to beat that... :-)

<sticks leg out to trip Ed> I did $2k even last year. My goal is at a minimum, beat last years. At the best... papa needs a new car!

Year before, my first STP, I think I hit $500.

Brad
05-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Wait a second. That is my car. Last year they said "Brad won the car" and I was ready to stand up. Problem was it was the other Brad.

I got to $1,000 and change last year and want to at least beat that this year. I am ahead right now compared to last year at this point. It looks like the local paper will be printing a News Release based on the template Cara put together. They asked for a picture to go with the article. Hopefully that will bring folks to contribute to my efforts - or they will feel sorry for others and help them along. Either way it is going to a great cause - and I will be over $1,000 to get my fleece.

BlueDog
05-05-2009, 09:22 AM
What paper, Brad? I'll email them and make sure they have the right link to your page. :D

Brad
05-05-2009, 12:49 PM
What paper, Brad? I'll email them and make sure they have the right link to your page. :D
And you assume they have e-mail. The request was a link to their page. Maybe some day they will have a web site - not now.

I am thinking about - what color I want my new Subaru to be . . .

h2oeco
05-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Seek the Peak is about 58 days away, as of today... If you have not already signed up, or contributed in support of a hiker, please do.

Signup: http://www.seekthepeak.org/resources.php

Contribute: http://www.seekthepeak.org/hikers.php

If you need help in your fundraising efforts, here are some ideas -

Remember that almost any business that you support is a potential donor - if you support them as a loyal customer, they will most likely try to help you out in your efforts on the Observatory's behalf - restaurants, dry cleaners, hardware stores, doctors, dentists, etc...

Even if you aren't particularly comfortable asking people to support you, it really isn't that big a deal - the worst they can do is say no. If possible, ask people in person, face to face - it is much harder to say no to your face then it is to delete or ignore an email, letter, or phone call.

Be sure to thank all of your donors, now, and then again after the event, in writing.

Ed

CHRIS
06-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Great job Ed. Broke $5000.00 :eek:. Dam I suck @ this :(

BlueDog
06-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Dangit! Just when I thought I was catching up on him! </sticks out leg to trip Ed>

Congrats Ed!!

CHRIS
06-05-2009, 12:29 PM
You are doing pretty darn good to Erich.

BlueDog
06-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks Chris!

h2oeco
06-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks! Feel free to catch me or pass me, it all amounts to more money for the Observatory. :-)

BlueDog
06-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm workin' on it! 50 days to go and I still have a few tricks up my sleeve. :X

faegilr
06-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I (and my boyfriend) just finally passed the 100 mark. Doubt we'll be able to make it much further :( Too bad cause I would love to have a STP fleece. Oh well...guess I'll just have to console myself with a birthday Edutrip later in the summer :)

crudio
06-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Calling all Seek the Peak hikers!

As promised, we will be holding a live, interactive Seek the Peak fundraising webinar next Wednesday, June 10 at 7 p.m. EDT.

Register now (https://mwo.ilinc.com/register/rtfmphc) for "Seek the Peak Fundraising 101: How to Take Your Fundraising to New Heights":

This free, 20-minute seminar will begin by reviewing the basics of Mount Washington and the Observatory, giving you simple, concise talking points to use when approaching potential donors. Then, we'll dive into the heart of fundraising, discussing tactics and messaging for effective, high-yielding appeals. Learn what has worked for past Seek the Peak participants, and join the discussion in a live Q&A session at the end.

The webinar is quick, easy, and best of all, free! All you need is a web browser and a telephone. You've got nothing to lose... except, maybe, your chance at winning that new Subaru!

Register now! (https://mwo.ilinc.com/register/rtfmphc)

If you can't attend, watch for a recording of the seminar to be posted in the Hiker Resources page on SeekthePeak.org afterwards!

BlueDog
06-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks Cara and Scot! I'm registered and have it on my calendar!

mtruman
06-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks Cara, Scot, Karen and everyone involved in making this happen! I'm registered too.

One note for people using Firefox though. I hadn't used this webinar service before and ran the test connection as suggested. It installed the app fine and passed the connection test. The thing is when you launch the meeting it closes Firefox. When you close the meeting Firefox remains closed. If you have Firefox set to restore your previous session on startup then when you start it again the first thing it does is launch the meeting again - which closes Firefox. :mad: The trick is to start Firefox and then close the tab that is launching the meeting quickly before it has time to start. Yup, gotta love technology... :rolleyes:

I'll be interested to see if others have a similar experience. At any rate I'm really looking forward to the webinar and this is just a minor annoyance.

CHRIS
06-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Also registered. I also would love to get one of those jackets. My wife says why don't I just buy one. But I told her its not the same I want bragging rights when I wear it that I at least raised 1000.00 But I don't think that is going to happen this year. I do still have to collect some $$$ from the people that promised but they never give it to me until its closer. I need to hit the lottery :D then I would be top money raiser for sure. Thanks to everybody involved in the making of the webinar.

Steve M
06-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I'm looking forward to the webinar also. I need some fresh tactics to get my stingy friends and relatives to come off the cash!:D

mtruman
06-06-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm looking forward to the webinar also. I need some fresh tactics to get my stingy friends and relatives to come off the cash!:D

If that doesn't work you can always try strangers...

CHRIS
06-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks Cara great ideas. I am dying to try some.

M_Six
06-19-2009, 02:17 PM
I (and my boyfriend) just finally passed the 100 mark. Doubt we'll be able to make it much further :( Too bad cause I would love to have a STP fleece. Oh well...guess I'll just have to console myself with a birthday Edutrip later in the summer :)

You should be a little closer to that fleece now. ;)

faegilr
06-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks Mark!!!

I cannot wait for STP! I think we are going to climb Field, Tom, and Willey next week and then Cannon :)

h2oeco
06-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Hey Erich - you better get a move on - the gap is getting wider... and there are only 29 days left! :-)

Ed

h2oeco
06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
For those of you who are below the magical $100 mark, keep trying to think of ways to get there... Ask almost anyone to support your efforts on behalf of the Observatory - the worst they can do is say no. Even people that you don't know well may contribute - perhaps there is a hiker or skier in your neighborhood - ask them - they are the sort of people who might have a connection to Mount Washington, or might like to have one...

Another option - ask for $1 per mile of trail hiked - using 8 miles as an example, you would only need to raise $8 each from 13 people, to end up just over $100...

If you're really stuck, and live in a state that offers a refund for cans or bottles - save your cans and bottles, even ask friends and neighbors to save them - then donate proceeds from the refunds to the Observatory - a 12 pack of beer (assuming 10 cents for bottles) is about $1.20, a 12 pack of soda (assuming 5 cents for cans) is about 60 cents.

Good luck!

Ed

BlueDog
06-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey Erich - you better get a move on - the gap is getting wider... and there are only 29 days left! :-)

Ed

Oh damn! I've been getting a lot of dead ends lately. Time to put a bigger thinking-cap on!

byjimminny
07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
See there is $75k raised so far---what is the goal?

BlueDog
07-10-2009, 10:38 AM
goal is $100,000+

CHRIS
07-10-2009, 02:46 PM
"WOW" I just got an email that said there are now 400 registered hikers for STP. They had better be making alot of cookies up there on the summit :D because there is going to be alot of hungry hikers. Now all I got to do is hit the lottery so that I can beat Ed. No offense Ed you are doing a terrific job. All I have raised is 294.00 :(. Alot of people keep saying they will be sending me some $$$$ but they haven't yet. I would love to hit 1001.00 but even 500.00 would be nice.

Brad
07-10-2009, 05:43 PM
To get the fleece is it $1,000 or $1,001?

Brad
07-10-2009, 05:48 PM
The STP web site says 7 people have qualified for the fleece and the Subaru drawing. Those odds are very good.

h2oeco
07-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Chris - just keeping asking people - I have asked 130 people via various methods, and of those, 62 have made a donation. A few others have said yes, but have not yet followed through. There's still time for you to make headway - by way of example (not to rub it in), in the last two days, I've raised $225.

Think of some one who you support as a customer - i.e. - your favorite restaurant, local hardware store, etc. - odds are, they'll give you something - in general, no harm in asking - they worst they can do is say no...

Ed

Brad
07-18-2009, 08:57 PM
There are now 9 hikers qualified for the Subaru - my Subaru.

Charlie
07-18-2009, 10:53 PM

and when you get it you can sell me your car cheep i need one for Becky soon :D

mtruman
07-19-2009, 12:09 AM

$30 more and I'll make number 10. Just noticed that the "person" right behind me is Emma Talbot. At least I'm managing to stay ahead of her here since I certainly can't on the trail. Wouldn't mind if she passed me here too though... Do you have to be a licensed driver to win the Subaru? :rolleyes:

mtruman
07-19-2009, 01:27 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_KuEV5mt1_ak/SmNVYFXFXdI/AAAAAAAAPTc/bMUJfFEJ584/STP%2011.jpg

Thanks to Trish (and Alex) who can't make STP this year but gave the contribution that put our $1000 goal over the top!!! I was going to post the image of the "10 qualified for the Subaru (yes Brad, your Subaru) but before I could number 11 joined us (congratulations Susanne). Most important we're now over $85,000 with almost a week to go!

Thanks again Trish. Keep looking forward to next year!

BlueDog
07-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Don't let Brad fool you ladies and gentlemen! He's just trying not to face the fact that the Subie is coming home to Virginia.

mtruman
07-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Just noticed that Ed needs $26 to get to 6288. While that would be an excellent number to land on I suspect that he won't stop there. :)

Snow Miser
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Just noticed that Ed needs $26 to get to 6288. While that would be an excellent number to land on I suspect that he won't stop there. :)

Probably not at the rate he has been collecting donations. Truly an incredible amount raised Ed!

h2oeco
07-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks. I did take note of the fact that I am approaching 6288, but you're right, I have no plans to stop there... :-)

mtruman
07-21-2009, 08:54 PM
And clearly Ed didn't stop at 6288. By Saturday he's going to have a blimp view of 6288 at the current rate. Way to go!

A few more donations today and I'm back up to #10 - but it looks like Emma is nipping at my heels again. Go Emma Go!!!! Is it possible for a non-licensed driver (canine) to win the Subaru?

Patrad Fischroy
07-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Who says she isn't licensed???;)

Brad
07-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Mark, I see you are over $1,000. Congratulations on getting a fleece!

mtruman
07-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Mark, I see you are over $1,000. Congratulations on getting a fleece!

Thanks Brad. Wish it was more. We're at just about $1300 for the overall family fundraising. One final push on Facebook before the weekend...