PDA

View Full Version : Hiking into tucks 5 / 16

Charlie
04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
i will be heading up north on fri and i want to hike into tucks sat morning and be back down so i can have dinner and be at the Weather Discovery Center by 7 pm for the big show .

will there still be snow or ice on the trail going up .
if any one would like to take a stroll up let me know

MelNino
04-15-2009, 09:08 AM
So tempting, but I'll be there a week after that

Charlie
04-15-2009, 08:53 PM
i will be heading up north on fri and i want to hike into tucks sat morning and be back down so i can have dinner and be at the Weather Discovery Center by 7 pm for the big show .

will there still be snow or ice on the trail going up .
if any one would like to take a stroll up let me know

i should have said will there still be snow or ice at the top of the trail :eek:

MelNino
04-16-2009, 08:33 AM
i should have said will there still be snow or ice at the top of the trail :eek:

When I was there last year around 5/21, there was still a godo amount of snow. (I slipped on it)

Ugh, I went on a mini-hike after work today....not hiking for a few weeks really showed...I gotta get in shape fast, hahaha.

Brad
04-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Charlie,

I am heading back into Tux for the Inferno on Saturday. I will take some pictures for you.

Charlie
04-16-2009, 09:34 PM
very good looking forward to seeing them

Tim&Val
04-17-2009, 04:51 PM
We have a family commitment on Saturday so could not attend the Inferno this year. To make up for it, we hiked up there today.

In the morning, the lower trail was frozen granular and ice. I used microspikes, Tim barebooted. 99% of the people on the trail were barebooting or skiing up. That being said, it was easier with some traction.

From Hermit Lake Shelter to the bowl is just messy. No way around it. Still, no postholing or anything like that. Just slushy on top. It may freeze overnight again, but will likely thaw again during the day tomorrow. We both wore the microspikes up and back down to the Shelter.

Back to the road was icky on Friday afternoon. Of course, it was 58 in the valley, so slush and puddles were everywhere. We kept the MS's on all the way to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center although there were some open muddy patches.

We carried the snowshoes all day and didn't put them on.

Tomorrow, there will be tons more people so I expect that the trail will degrade even more.

Overall, a GORGEOUS day and I am burned despite the SPF 30 in my backpack. The crowd was much smaller and there were more conservative skiers and less showboating than when we were there last year. If it hadn't been for a chilly breeze, we could have lay there all day!

mtruman
04-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Overall, a GORGEOUS day and I am burned despite the SPF 30 in my backpack. The crowd was much smaller and there were more conservative skiers and less showboating than when we were there last year. If it hadn't been for a chilly breeze, we could have lay there all day!

Sure looked like a beautiful day up there from the webcams. Hope you guys got lots of pictures!

Brad
04-17-2009, 04:57 PM
You certainly picked the better day for the weather. The forecast for tomorrow is not great. But, I have the grandsons almost ready with their clothes selected. I will pack for myself a bit later.

Tim&Val
04-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Falling Ice warnings at PNVC - I'm particularly fond of the illustrations

http://www.barkeater.ws/ForumPics/p4170079.jpg

Headwall

http://www.barkeater.ws/ForumPics/img_9611.jpg

Lunch Rocks

http://www.barkeater.ws/ForumPics/img_9613.jpg

Weird Cloud

http://www.barkeater.ws/ForumPics/IMG_9641.jpg

Charlie
04-17-2009, 10:20 PM
wow nice looking pictures thanks

Brad you and the boys have a safe fun trip

mtruman
04-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Great shots Val. I can't wait to hear the explanation for that cloud. Haven't seen anything like it before

Brad
04-18-2009, 05:15 AM
The cloud looked to me to be a Lenticular. Standing looking up at it is my guess.

Tim&Val
04-18-2009, 06:34 AM
The webcams do not look good this morning at all. I hope the clouds clear by race time! :(

alora7
04-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Weird Cloud

http://www.barkeater.ws/ForumPics/IMG_9641.jpg

Hello all -- we were on Wildcat yesterday and had the same types of views of these clouds. We also got some interesting photographs, it looked like a spaceship invasion throughout the area. Then I just saw this info below on the home page from Stacey Kawecki and thought you would be interested. She called it the "mother ship" --

16:38 Fri Apr 17th

Lenticular clouds are named so because they are shaped like lenses. They also suspiciously resemble over-sized Frisbees. Taking this one step further, one could say that lenticular clouds are shaped like flying saucers, also known as UFO's. In this particular case, they are neither flying nor unidentifiable. But they sure do make a spectacle.

I'm convinced that some of the reported UFO's are likely lenticular clouds. They cast huge, imposing shadows and can look quite other-worldly as the sun plays its tricks. In some instances, they might even look like a flying saucer that is glowing or on fire. Regardless of what these fantastic clouds might look like (besides clouds that is) they surrounded the summit today, in a rather invasive fashion. Every which direction there they were, waiting to attack. There were uncountable clouds. And, just to the east, there was the mother ship. The largest lenticular in the sky hovered directly over Wildcat, casting its unearthly shadow.

But what is a lenticular, besides a cool-looking cloud? It's actually an interesting equilibrium. They are technically called standing lenticulars because they do not seem to move, though the process of forming such a cloud involves constant movement and phase change. When there is some turbulence, often caused by air rushing up and over mountains, the upward motion causes water vapor to condense into a cloud. As the air descends, the water droplets evaporate in the warmer or drier air. The cloud itself is in constant somewhat unchanging motion.
Stacey Kawecki / Observer and Meteorologist

Tim&Val
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
I pulled that word, "Lenticular", out in the car yesterday and Tim was impressed! :p

All the way home in the car from Gorham to Twin Mountain to Franconia Notch, it was like a scene from War of the Worlds. Tim kept saying "do you want to stop so we can get the camera out of the back?" but we didn't. Some we called "mother ships" and others were smaller and more like scout ships, BUT THEY SURE LOOKED CREEPY!

Dozens of them!!