PDA

View Full Version : Special MWO event May 16th

Brad
04-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Who is coming to the photo show at the Discovery Center in N Conway on May 16th? ForestGnome and Jim Salge will be there since it is showing their photos. I will be there for sure - from NC. It sounds like Charlie will be coming for it - from PA.

It is for Club Level members only. So, bump your membership up to that level and come along! I saw nothing that said you have to be Club Level for any period of time. It would be great to see folks there.

Who is coming?

Charlie
04-17-2009, 10:07 AM
bump bump bump it up and come join us it will be a good time ;)

JimS
04-17-2009, 05:46 PM
GREAT TO HEAR THAT YOU GUYS ARE COMING!

I will be shooting all weekend up there, as the regional forum of naturephotographers.net will be having their spring outing that weekend. If either of you (anyone here) wants to come along, we'd love to have you! We will be focusing on waterfalls and wildflowers. Details are being ironed out!

See you mid may!

Jim

fifteendays
04-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Invitations are out, folks... Watch your mailboxes!

If you are a Club Level member ($150+), we host these events from time to time to say thanks for your generous support of the Obs. In the past, we've done things like birdwatching walks, foliage hikes and XC ski outings. This one is especially good, since two very good friends of the Obs and these here forums will be the "featured acts." Photographers Patrick LaFreniere and (former observer) Jim Salge will each present their own collection of incredible White Mountains photography.

You've seen their incredible work here in the forums. Jim captures grand, macro-scale, other-worldly views of the mountain in all seasons. Patrick's night sky images and absolutely mind-boggling photos of wildlife are incredible. We are so excited and honored that both of them have agreed to spend an evening with us. (Maybe it was the free wine and cheese?)

If you are a current Club Level member of the Observatory, you can now learn more about the event and RSVP on the event's webpage (http://observatory.mountwashington.org/site/Calendar/1469375386?view=Detail&id=100141).

If you are not a member of the Mount Washington Observatory and you want to join at any of our Club Levels, you can do so in our online membership center (https://secure3.convio.net/mwobs/site/SPageNavigator/membership/membership_center). If you are already a member at a lower level, we certainly invite you to "bump up" (as Brad says). You can do that on our renewal page (https://secure3.convio.net/mwobs/site/Donation2?idb=384558131&df_id=1361&1361.donation=form1). (In doing so, you'll also receive a pewter USGS Mount Washington summit marker keychain... not too shabby!) Either way, you'll be able to participate in the event.

Please join us! I would love to have the chance to meet you and put a face to your forum username.

My best,

Scot
MWO Staff

Charlie
04-17-2009, 11:15 PM
my RSVP is in
and nothing will stop me from seeing this

alora7
04-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Hello Everyone -- I am really excited about this one (not that I wasn't excited about other events!) and schedules allowing, I think I can join you all on the 16th!

Charlie
04-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Hello Everyone -- I am really excited about this one (not that I wasn't excited about other events!) and schedules allowing, I think I can join you all on the 16th!

good the more that come the better it will be

Brad
04-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Where will you be coming from?

RI Swamp Yankee
04-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Got my invitation in the mail today but it had the wrong picture for Patrick. Everyone knows he looks like this

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/image.php?u=86&dateline=1208341949

How else could he get such really great photos of moose. ;)

I have to add that the photos by Jim Slage of Portland Head Light posted in these forums last year caused me to add that stop to my vacation tour last summer. :)

Charlie
04-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Got my invitation in the mail today but it had the wrong picture for Patrick. Everyone knows he looks like this

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/image.php?u=86&dateline=1208341949

How else could he get such really great photos of moose. ;)

I have to add that the photos by Jim Slage of Portland Head Light posted in these forums last year caused me to add that stop to my vacation tour last summer. :)

good one :D

Brad
04-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I just pulled into the house in NC - time to start planning my next trip north . . .

mrohssler
04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Wife and I will be there from Connecticut

Brad
04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Wife and I will be there from Connecticut
Wonderful. I just talked with Karen and it sounds like we will have a good turnout for this event. Lets make it a blow out - standing room only deal!

Charlie
04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Wonderful. I just talked with Karen and it sounds like we will have a good turnout for this event. Lets make it a blow out - standing room only deal!

i would like to have a seat ok :eek:

Tim&Val
04-26-2009, 06:03 PM
We just bumped up our membership and signed up for the event! We're bringing my parents, as they already had plans to visit us that weekend. That makes 4 more of us stealing seats from Charlie! :p

Valerie

Charlie
04-26-2009, 08:38 PM
We just bumped up our membership and signed up for the event! We're bringing my parents, as they already had plans to visit us that weekend. That makes 4 more of us stealing seats from Charlie! :p

Valerie

thats ok for mom and dad to take my seat but i think your younger then me so you should let your elders have a chair first .

now if there is only 1 left when brad and i get there then i think im standing :(

Brad
04-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Tim & Val,

Great participation! Thanks. It will be fun to see everyone there.

Charlie,

Do not worry, I will let you have the one remaining seat (if we get down to that). I can handle standing for a show like this.

Charlie
04-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Charlie,

Do not worry, I will let you have the one remaining seat (if we get down to that). I can handle standing for a show like this.

thanks but you could have it , i will be by the cheese table anyway :eek:

Brad
04-28-2009, 07:04 AM
thanks but you could have it , i will be by the cheese table anyway :eek:
I am hoping there is more than wine to drink. I will get pretty thirsty otherwise. Water or juice would be fine.

Charlie
04-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I am hoping there is more than wine to drink. I will get pretty thirsty otherwise. Water or juice would be fine.

your right for the non wine drinkers :D

mtruman
05-01-2009, 08:28 AM
We were able to work out the logistics so I just upgraded our membership and registered for the event! Can't wait to see everyone on the 16th.

Brad
05-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Mark, that is great news. See you there!

crudio
05-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Juice and water request noted! See you all there...

Tim&Val
05-01-2009, 11:21 AM
We were able to work out the logistics so I just upgraded our membership and registered for the event! Can't wait to see everyone on the 16th.

That's GREAT!! See ya there! :D

mrohssler
05-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Coffee also please,for us junkies

Charlie
05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
looks like it going to be a good time

this is a good time to up your membership so you can make it also :D

Brad
05-08-2009, 06:04 AM
We are getting closer to this special event. I can see it now - Big Daddy (moose) waiting in the Discovery Center parking lot greeting us as we arrive. Or, maybe it will be Patrick (moose) greeting us.

I am sure your schedule changed and you can now get to this event next Saturday night. Sign up now and we will see you there.

Brad
05-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Can we have stick on name tags for the event?

Charlie
05-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Patrick did you tell some of you moose friends to come to the event

crudio
05-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Umm, sure, we can do stick-on name tags! =P

Tim&Val
05-11-2009, 09:23 PM
So what's the dress code for this event? :confused:

Thanks!!
Valerie

Brad
05-12-2009, 05:56 AM
Full Spring antlers for Patrick or I am not wearing a dress. I think having folks be able to come is more important than what they wear.

Tim&Val
05-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I was going to make a joke about "tails" being required, but didn't want to scare anyone off. ;)

mrohssler
05-12-2009, 05:31 PM
I talked to Cara today and she suggested light casual would be appropriate

JimS
05-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Just finished the slideshow...a full 40 images!

I'll be presenting the seasons on the Presidential Range, highlighting the transitions between them, and what I look forward to in landscape photography

From my end, I can't to hear Patrick talk about some of my favorite moose pictures of his, and he ends with some incredible night sky images over White Mountain Icons.

Should be a fine evening!!!

KD Talbot
05-12-2009, 07:36 PM
I have to wear clothes? :(

KDT

Steve M
05-12-2009, 09:08 PM

KDT

You don't have to but you may take away from the topic at hand. :)

Brad
05-13-2009, 03:22 AM
Just finished the slideshow...a full 40 images!

Here we are in the digital age and Jim is still taking slides. Oh my, it will be an interesting evening. He will probably arrive in a horse and buggy.

Steve M
05-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Here we are in the digital age and Jim is still taking slides. Oh my, it will be an interesting evening. He will probably arrive in a horse and buggy.

I don't think he was talking about film slides on an old projector, Brad. :p

Patrad Fischroy
05-13-2009, 08:29 AM

KDT

No Kevin, it is only nekkid HIKING that is allowed, indoors, you must wear clothes.

mtruman
05-13-2009, 01:42 PM
No Kevin, it is only nekkid HIKING that is allowed, indoors, you must wear clothes.

Don't encourage him or he'll be getting dressed in the parking lot...

Charlie
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM

no we would have to leave your place way to early :eek:

crudio
05-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Just got an orientation on how to use the projector, so here's hoping we'll pull this thing off without a hitch! :)

Brad
05-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Just got an orientation on how to use the projector, so here's hoping we'll pull this thing off without a hitch! :)
But, did you do this with the specific computer that will be used on Saturday?

Charlie
05-14-2009, 06:17 PM
get the bugs worked out im on my way from PA to see a moose show off his pictures :D:D:D:D

Brad
05-14-2009, 07:58 PM
get the bugs worked out im on my way from PA to see a moose show off his pictures :D:D:D:D
Don't worry. The MWO Discovery Center has big wide front doors. So, Patrick can get in with his full rack.

Tim&Val
05-15-2009, 06:22 AM
i talked to cara today and she suggested light casual would be appropriate

thank you!!

KD Talbot
05-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Some of us are meeting at Moat Mountain Brewery @m 5PM for supper before the show. If anyone wants to join us-

Details:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhat related to MWO Photo Presentation, a last minute Eats & Spirits Night is being scheduled prior to the event.

Who: You?

What: Eats & Spirits.

Where: Moat Mountain Smoke House and Brewing Company - Route 16/302, north of downtown North Conway - Map

When: Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Why: "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the go to Eats & Spirits Night, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." -President Theodore Roosevelt

How: By car, truck, moped, donkey, or hitchhiking.

While this is being scheduled with the MWO event in mind, you *don't* have to be going to the MWO event in order to go to Eats & Spirits night (nor do you have to be a VFTT member).

Folks going to the MWO event will likely be hitting the road around 6:45 PM. I may do a brief pilgrimage to Dairy Queen in between the two.

KDT

Brad
05-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Ready or not - here we come. See you all this evening.

Steve M
05-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Is everyone wearing clothes? Kevin??

Have a great time all, wish I could be there!

Brad
05-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Linda, Brad and Charlie will be heading to Tut's in N Waterford, Maine for dinner before The Event. Tut's is now called Melbye's, but it will always be Tut's to us.

Charlie
05-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Linda, Brad and Charlie will be heading to Tut's in N Waterford, Maine for dinner before The Event. Tut's is now called Melbye's, but it will always be Tut's to us.

yum yum cant wait ;)

Charlie
05-16-2009, 10:02 PM
what a good time we got to see friends again from seek the peak [ and they all looked good with out a back pack on ]
i did wish emma was there :(
but if you were not there and you like seeing Jim and Patrick's pictures well we did see a lot more of them .
thanks for sharing this with us and you two be safe out there

and Patrick tell big daddy to smile a little more :D

Charlie
05-16-2009, 10:04 PM
and mark it was nice that we were able to communicate to each other with out a computer :D

KathyC
05-17-2009, 08:39 AM
I really wish I could have gone, I missed out. I already had plans to go to one of my best friends baby's Christening.

Had it been next weekend, I def. would have made the trip up.

storygirll
05-17-2009, 12:30 PM
A great big "THANK YOU" to Jim, Patrick and the crew from MWO and the Discovery Center. It was an awesome way to spend Saturday night! Perfect timing - visiting with my friends from "Seak the Peak "08" makes me long for the school year to be over - I'm ready hike again!

Charlie - you make me smile! I can't wait to meet you and Brad on the trail again (or at the top!!!!!!) this STP. These quiet distant friendships mean so much to me. Life's responsibilities get in the way of forum chatter for me, so last evenings brief "Hello" and quick update was perfect.

Mark and Natalie - thank you so much for remembering me!!! I am soooo impressed!!!! So good to see you, to re-connect. Hiking with your daughter will be a blast!!! We all need to meet up for Friday evening before STP. I promise - I'll hang around longer this time.

Again, to all the folks at MWO - THANK YOU!!! I had a wonderful time.

Shelley >^..^<

Brad
05-17-2009, 02:58 PM
I too want to say thanks to everyone who helped pull off last evening's event! It worked out very well - the pictures were great - and it was fun to see everyone again. I did miss a few folks - like StoryGirl - but got to meet most folks. It was nice to see such good attendance.

We left pretty quickly as the alarm went off at 2:30 AM and we were out the door to Portland and to Cambridge, Mass by 7:00 AM to be ready for the tufts graduation day.

mtruman
05-17-2009, 07:33 PM
We had a blast last night! It was wonderful seeing all our friends from the forum and many of last year's STP crew. Great meeting many of the crew from the Obs for the first time too. If you weren't there it's hard to describe how great the presentation was. Jim and Patrick were both amazing. Those of us that hang out on the forums have of course been fortunate enough to see many of their fantastic photos on a regular basis but having them narrate the "best of the best" of their shots in person was a real treat!

Charlie and Brad - glad to be back talking electronically again. Really tough having to do it in person :rolleyes:

Scot, Cara, Karen, Brian, Ryan and all the rest of the Obs crew - great seeing you all and great job with the event!

Ed - looking forward to seeing the "official event photos" from last night. You'd better quit hanging out at these events and concentrate more on your STP fundraising if you expect to get to $10,000

Tim and Val - great seeing you guys and looking forward to STP.

Shelly - so glad that you made the event and that we got to chat. Nice to see you back on the forum today and look forward to seeing you at STP.

Jim and Patrick - great finally meeting you guys after all this time online. Thanks for putting in all the effort that went into last night's presentation (let alone what it took to get these pictures in the first place). Can't wait for your next pictures! :)

Kevin - if you hadn't pushed me out the door last night I'd probably still be there. :rolleyes:

The countdown timer says 68 days till STP. Can't wait to see everyone again then!!!

JimS
05-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks to all who made it on Saturday, it was a great event, and a fun way to see everyone who supports the Obs at such a high level. It was also very nice to meet so many of you who I converse with on here. Really enjoyed meeting Patrick, whose photography I've long admired...

I wanted to pass along my website, as I only highlighted images from the Presidential Range in the slideshow, but have a larger collection here:

http://www.jimsalge.com

Right now it's best viewed in Explore, but am working out bugs and kinks, and adding more photos regularly.

Again, thanks for coming, and see y'all at seek the peak!

h2oeco
05-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Ed - looking forward to seeing the "official event photos" from last night. You'd better quit hanging out at these events and concentrate more on your STP fundraising if you expect to get to $10,000

"Hanging around" at those events may actually be a good thing - I got home from NH about 2 hours ago, and found a $1,000 STP donation in the mail...

If that's what it takes, I guess I'll just have to go up to NH more often... :-)

Ed

Tim&Val
05-18-2009, 06:32 PM
We wanted to thank Jim and Patrick and all the OBS staff for the wonderful event! We had a great time and enjoyed all the photos and the fun time with friends!

Looking forward to similar events in the future!
Valerie

Brad
05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
"Hanging around" at those events may actually be a good thing - I got home from NH about 2 hours ago, and found a $1,000 STP donation in the mail...

If that's what it takes, I guess I'll just have to go up to NH more often... :-)

Ed
Ed, that is wonderful news. Is it correct that you will be splitting that between others a bit lower than you on the donation scale? It is going for a great cause. :cool:

KD Talbot
05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Great to see everyone! Had a great time! Thanks Patrick and Jim!

KDT

Charlie
05-18-2009, 07:46 PM
We all need to meet up for Friday evening before STP. I promise - I'll hang around longer this time.

Shelley >^..^<

i to will be there friday evening and stay longer this time now that i know more very nice people :D