PDA

View Full Version : Best Dates for Alpine Flowers

mtruman
04-18-2009, 09:01 AM
We're looking at doing an overnight at Lakes of the Clouds sometime in June to try to catch the peak of the alpine bloom. Is the first week of June (6th/7th) too early for this?

Breeze
04-18-2009, 01:16 PM
LOLOL I had a finger twitch to answer this off- the- cuff this morning, but decided to look a little further, glad that I did hold back!

From VFTT posts last year in a Spring Flower thread, it seems that by June 13th, the alpines were fading fast on on Eisenhower and Pierce ( diapensia, rhodora, lapland rosebay, etc).

My best guess is that you are looking at a pretty good weekend for viewing in the Alpine Garden that first week in June. My first thought was that it was a tad early, but we had a LOT more snow last year in March and April, and still Mid June was past peak.

Breeze

mtruman
04-18-2009, 03:09 PM
LOLOL I had a finger twitch to answer this off- the- cuff this morning, but decided to look a little further, glad that I did hold back!

From VFTT posts last year in a Spring Flower thread, it seems that by June 13th, the alpines were fading fast on on Eisenhower and Pierce ( diapensia, rhodora, lapland rosebay, etc).

My best guess is that you are looking at a pretty good weekend for viewing in the Alpine Garden that first week in June. My first thought was that it was a tad early, but we had a LOT more snow last year in March and April, and still Mid June was past peak.

Breeze

Thanks for the input. Guess I could have been less lazy and done the research here and on VFTT myself. Time to go make a reservation. :)

JimS
04-18-2009, 04:06 PM
The nice thing about the alpine flowers is that while individual patches of flowers only last a week, the ranges of elevation that they occur over, as well as the aspect and slope basically gives you nearly a month to see some.

They start around 4000 feet in late may in exposed areas, and are good the first week of June around Lakes, eisenhower and parts of the alpine garden. I would target the 6th through the 12th. After that, the cow pasture and north slopes are still good until nearly the last week.

In addition to viewsfromthetop, the amc has some great info on their mountainwatch site!

http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/mountainwatch/

Uncas
04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I will be up there that weekend for the same purpose. Plan on sleeping in the woods somewhere. This is still legal below treeline?

FisherCat
04-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Blooming depends a lot on locale and weather. Last year, the first weekend of June over on MT Flume, there was nothin' goin' on. It had been such a rainy and cool spring (just like the summer would prove to be) it set them back.
The year before, 2007 & the same weekend, they were in full bloom. General sense, you are pretty safe with the first two weekends of June, but the caveat of variance applies.