PDA

View Full Version : Tucks in April

Stets
04-19-2009, 04:35 PM
It is time for the annual Spring Tuckerman visit. :cool::cool::cool:

We will be hiking and skiing Tuckerman and The John Sherburne Ski Trail this week on April 22 and 23rd.

Hopefully the weather and conditions will allow for some decent days.

We have been very fortunate in past years, but you never know until you step into The "Bowl".

If anyone is around Pinkham this week we will hopefully run into you.

I mean say hello, not "really" run into you.

You know what I mean.

If not, we will make a few turns for you.

Brad
04-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Doug, Check out my Inferno 2009 pictures. They will give you an idea of the trail conditions up to the Bowl. We put on microspikes at the first bridge. Even after that there were a couple of stretches with bare ground. But the trail quickly changed to ice and packed snow. There was one part above HoJo's with bare rocks.

We saw folks leaving HoJo's to ski down. but as we were coming down I did not hear any skiers go by. So, I do not know how far they were about the make it.

Stets
04-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Brad, thanks for the heads up.

I checked out your Inferno photos and they gave me a good sense of what to expect this week on the hike up.

As far as the skiing portion of the journey, we will be careful and only do what we can handle.

The latest Avalanche Advisory from Tuckerman.org has the usual concerns and The Sherburne open most of the way down.

We most likely will be unable to ski out of the "bowl" due to the condition of The Little Headwall.

We will pick up The Sherbie from Hermit Lake and go as far as we can.

Thanks again for the info.

Brad
04-19-2009, 07:49 PM
On Saturday there were some folks starting on the Little Headwall - went across the stream to the Lower Snowfield and down to HoJos

smithtim
04-20-2009, 12:27 PM
anybody know how are the conditons on the other side of the notch? I'm flying up for a confernce and hoping to hike up either liberty or lafyette on Friday..

thanks