PDA

View Full Version : A Credo for Mountain Photographers

mtruman
04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I started reading Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light" this week (awesome book). In the preface he presents "A Credo for Mountain Photographers" from Cedric Wright who was an author, photographer and best friend of Ansel Adams. In light of the upcoming photography show by Jim and Patrick I thought I'd share it here. I think that all of us who have seen their images (and the images of a number of the other very talented photographers here) will feel the connection.

The mountain photographer is interpreting the face of nature - that mysterious infinity, eternally a refuge, a reservoir, an amplifier of spirit; a mother of dreams; a positive though elusive voice in whose depth lies its subtlety. They will interpret best who are never so content as when under the influence of situations where silence is rich in the mute assurance and beauty of mountain surroundings. The quality of emotional knowing has a finer integration with our spirit than anything that comes from barren intellectual processes. This point of view only accumulates slowly, out of long experience and contact with wordless influences. Under the spell of solitude and of natural beauty the root system of this kind of awareness establishes itself. Great art is usually created under some such saturation of awareness. The work is then permeated with an inner perception of beauty and an inner personal philosophy. The hope for our photography is that it shall retain these high lights of more than beauty, that through it symbols shall be preserved of response to our mountains, keeping them to a flow, a golden thread, in our experience.

Cedric Wright, 1941

MsCntry
04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
I like that, very nice:)

KathyC
04-23-2009, 05:04 AM
That is really nice and perfect for them. I know that I come to this site and look forward to when they post their photo's. It takes me away even it it's only for a few moments.

I wish so badly that I could make it up on the 16th, but I already had previous plans.:(

forestgnome
04-23-2009, 06:02 AM
I started reading Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light" this week (awesome book). In the preface he presents "A Credo for Mountain Photographers" from Cedric Wright who was an author, photographer and best friend of Ansel Adams. In light of the upcoming photography show by Jim and Patrick I thought I'd share it here. I think that all of us who have seen their images (and the images of a number of the other very talented photographers here) will feel the connection.

um...what he said ;)

Seriously, that just made my morning. That just brought me to a few past moments out there in the forest. Thanks for posting.

happy trails :)

Brad
04-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Very nicely stated. I was thinking of Patrick yesterday afternoon - when on a beach - moving closer and closer to a bird - wait - shoot - move closer - shoot. This quote is really good.

Orgnoi1
06-15-2009, 07:48 AM
A very passionate statement!