PDA

View Full Version : Tripyramids 4-25-09

mahony
04-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Hiked the Tripyramids and decided to take the Sabbaday Trail up and Pine Brook Trail down to get a nice loop in. I knew the hike would be challenging, but it took me 5 hours to get to North Tri because the snow on Sabbaday was already soft (Southeast facing) at 9-10am on the steep top sections. I was originally going to bareboot, but thought that snowshoes would be good just in case...the trip wouldn't have happened without them.

Despite snowshoes the slog up (and some of the down parts) left me well scratched up (couldn't wear long sleeves) and bruised. The monorail in the saddle (between the peaks) was solid enough and lunch on Middle Tri was beautiful and warm. The trip down Pine brook was treacherous down low where the snow was soft and the slope became an open ski bowl. I had several spans of flopping down the hill despite the snowshoes.

Well...I wanted a challenge and I got it.

TrishandAlex
04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the TR -- looks like spring conditions are here for a bit, yes? Wonder how long it'll take for the snow to melt.

Congrats on making it. I find this to be a very tough time to hike 4Ks. Good for you for making it, takes some gritting of the teeth, doesn't it.

KD Talbot
04-27-2009, 09:50 PM
This is an excellent trip under good conditions. It seems you had less than that. Excellent perseverance to get through. Grid hikers say spring is hardest to hike in the mountains because of rotting snow and tough water crossings.

KDT

mahony
04-28-2009, 08:26 AM
I'll keep doing the hikes and I like doing the 4000 footers. Getting the wife and kids to do any serious hiking will require clear trails first. The snow up top is deep and it's going to be there until at least mid-June.

Funny thing is: I get a lot less banged up playing hockey than I did on Saturday rolling (I mean hiking) down Pine Bend Brook Trail.

Tim&Val
04-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Wow! Good for you! We like Sabbaday Brook Trail *in the summer*. It's like an elfin trail - totally green with moss and ferns. We've not yet tried it in good winter conditions, never mind end-of-April! Congratulations on what I'm sure was a very challenging hike!

Valerie