PDA

View Full Version : A Little MWO History

mtruman
04-30-2009, 05:58 AM
I was talking with a friend about Seek the Peak last week and it turns out that he used to be an Obs member and was a friend of Al Oxton (http://www.thecatdragdinn.org/resume99.htm) who was an observer and communications engineer at the Obs in the mid-80s. They worked together on the New England Network which was a Ham radio repeater network linking all the NE states (with one of the stations on Mount Washington that Al maintained).

He mentioned that he got the Obs news bulletin to which I replied "oh, you mean Windswept". No, he said, that's not the name of it. Hmmm, didn't know that there was another publication. He said he'd bring me a copy. This week he stopped by my desk at work and dropped off a copy of the "Mount Washington Observatory News Bulletin" just as he said - the Spring 1987 edition! Turns out it was Windswept, just with a bit older name. It was great fun reading about life on the mountain 2-1/2 decades ago. Scot was good enough to give me permission to scan it and make it available to everyone here. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

https://sites.google.com/site/mtrumanfileshare/files/MWO-NB28-1.pdf?attredirects=0

Steve M
04-30-2009, 07:59 AM
I just read a little bit of it. Thanks for sharing.

crudio
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Don't forget that if you are an Observatory member, you're always welcome to come peruse our collection of past Windswepts, Bulletins, and other publications at our Gladys Brooks Memorial Library in the basement of the Weather Discovery Center! There's enough Obs history to keep you busy for a year!

To make an appointment, contact Peter Crane at (603) 356-2137 x203.

mtruman
05-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Don't forget that if you are an Observatory member, you're always welcome to come peruse our collection of past Windswepts, Bulletins, and other publications at our Gladys Brooks Memorial Library in the basement of the Weather Discovery Center! There's enough Obs history to keep you busy for a year!

To make an appointment, contact Peter Crane at (603) 356-2137 x203.

Sounds like a good way to spend a rainy afternoon (or by the sound of it a rainy week or two). Not that I'm wishing for rain any time that we're in NH mind you...

BruceWO1B
07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Mark, thanks for the memories, I as a Ham Radio Operator, also used to talk with Al Oxton when he was working on the Rock Pile, hated to see him leave but couldn't blame him for leaving for the South Pole. He was also known for his annual sled treck down the Auto Road.

Bruce