PDA

View Full Version : Observer comments 5/7/09

Steve M
05-07-2009, 07:50 AM
I know it has been discussed here before but now it's official, Marty will have his own facebook fan page. Thanks Ryan for letting us know. We will be watching for it. :)

mtruman
05-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, didn't see Marty mentioned in the observer comments. You getting inside info Steve?

Knapper
05-07-2009, 04:23 PM
No, Steve is not seeing things, he just saw part of my comment before it was edited earlier this morning. I wrote my comment without going through the proper channels apparently. I was under the impression that it was 100% a go but in reality it is an idea that is being discussed and will be voted on this next week at shift change meeting. Since it will need to be updated from time to time we need to see who is willing to be in charge of updating information. Odds are something will move forward, we just need to iron out the details before we start building hype for something that might not happen or might be stalled for a while. Be patient.

Brad
05-07-2009, 05:58 PM
So, this announcement has eight more lives.

mtruman
05-07-2009, 10:48 PM
No, Steve is not seeing things, he just saw part of my comment before it was edited earlier this morning. I wrote my comment without going through the proper channels apparently. I was under the impression that it was 100% a go but in reality it is an idea that is being discussed and will be voted on this next week at shift change meeting. Since it will need to be updated from time to time we need to see who is willing to be in charge of updating information. Odds are something will move forward, we just need to iron out the details before we start building hype for something that might not happen or might be stalled for a while. Be patient.

Ah ha, Steve does have inside info ;). I was corresponding with Cara about this last week. I volunteered to help set it up and would be happy to maintain it as well but that would mean that I'd need to spend time in the Obs with Marty. Hmm, maybe not such a bad thing. I know that you guys want to keep the Obs content "officially sponsored". I'm still willing to help if there's anything I can do.

Brad
05-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Ah ha, Steve does have inside info ;). I was corresponding with Cara about this last week. I volunteered to help set it up and would be happy to maintain it as well but that would mean that I'd need to spend time in the Obs with Marty. Hmm, maybe not such a bad thing. I know that you guys want to keep the Obs content "officially sponsored". I'm still willing to help if there's anything I can do.
Oh, sneaky guy. I knew there was a way you would wiggle up to the summit.

Steve M
05-08-2009, 06:53 AM

I hope all the d- tails can be worked out. The only tail we care about is Marty's so we look forward to seeing him on FB.

crudio
05-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I'd like to weigh in on the discussion of a Marty Facebook page and other social networking activities.

My position was created last year to consolidate and improve our marketing and communications-related activities. Among these activities is social networking. Obviously, I and others at the Obs realized that there is a LOT more we could be doing in this realm. However, the reality is that we have a small staff, and must focus our time and efforts on mission-critical operations.

Yes, creating a Facebook page or Twitter account is quick and easy to do. However, such social networking outlets are only popular and effective when they are updated regularly with interesting information. As a member of the Observatory's valley staff, I am able to provide information about events and organizational activities, but let's be honest -- nobody follows the Obs to hear about our latest matching grant or website update! It's the activities at the summit weather station that people want to hear about -- the weather, the crew, and yes, the cat. So, while creating a Facebook page seems like an easy enough task, it actually involves a lot of people making a commitment and fitting it into their schedules. This time of year is a bit slower on the summit, but once EduTrips, tours, school groups and the rest of the summer madness hits, it's a whole different story.

I firmly believe that this is a natural growing pain, that can and will be worked out with time. A lot of businesses are beginning to experiment with social networking outlets right now, and are struggling to figure out where it fits withing their organizational structure. Some have figured it out -- who the best administrators are, what content is popular, how often to make updates, and most importantly -- how to make their efforts pay off. So many others, however, have thrown up pages just to say they have one, without making a commitment to maintain them. And the only thing more lame than not having a page, is having a page that stinks and reflects negatively on the organization.

Given the high level of interest among the Obs staff and its constituents, I do hope to continue cultivating our social networking efforts. However, I ask your patience and understanding if it seems like we could be doing more. We are a small organization, undertaking a lot of large tasks. And especially in this dismal fundraising climate, we must be good stewards of our constituents' donations by first and foremost working to ensure the success of our mission-critical operations.

fifteendays
05-09-2009, 12:07 AM
So you're saying that Marty's Facebook page is almost done, right? :-)

Nicely put, Cara. I appreciate that post and I think most everyone in the forums will as well. There's so much we want to do, but we need to make it all fit within all the stuff that we absolutely have to do.

If only Marty would just learn how to type. A little HTML wouldn't hurt, either.

Scot
MWO Staff

mtruman
05-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I think we all understand how busy the Obs staff is the number of high priority things there are to do. I think that a lot of us "fans" get caught up in the many opportunities for promoting the Obs without realizing how all the effort adds up. Cara certainly sums it up very well.

So, Scot - how are those typing lessons going? Teaching cats to type has to be right up there with herding them. Perhaps you can forget about teaching him to type and focus on some mouse training... :rolleyes:

Steve M
05-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I'd like to weigh in on the discussion of a Marty Facebook page and other social networking activities.

My position was created last year to consolidate and improve our marketing and communications-related activities. Among these activities is social networking. Obviously, I and others at the Obs realized that there is a LOT more we could be doing in this realm. However, the reality is that we have a small staff, and must focus our time and efforts on mission-critical operations.

Yes, creating a Facebook page or Twitter account is quick and easy to do. However, such social networking outlets are only popular and effective when they are updated regularly with interesting information. As a member of the Observatory's valley staff, I am able to provide information about events and organizational activities, but let's be honest -- nobody follows the Obs to hear about our latest matching grant or website update! It's the activities at the summit weather station that people want to hear about -- the weather, the crew, and yes, the cat. So, while creating a Facebook page seems like an easy enough task, it actually involves a lot of people making a commitment and fitting it into their schedules. This time of year is a bit slower on the summit, but once EduTrips, tours, school groups and the rest of the summer madness hits, it's a whole different story.

I firmly believe that this is a natural growing pain, that can and will be worked out with time. A lot of businesses are beginning to experiment with social networking outlets right now, and are struggling to figure out where it fits withing their organizational structure. Some have figured it out -- who the best administrators are, what content is popular, how often to make updates, and most importantly -- how to make their efforts pay off. So many others, however, have thrown up pages just to say they have one, without making a commitment to maintain them. And the only thing more lame than not having a page, is having a page that stinks and reflects negatively on the organization.

Given the high level of interest among the Obs staff and its constituents, I do hope to continue cultivating our social networking efforts. However, I ask your patience and understanding if it seems like we could be doing more. We are a small organization, undertaking a lot of large tasks. And especially in this dismal fundraising climate, we must be good stewards of our constituents' donations by first and foremost working to ensure the success of our mission-critical operations.

I can appreciate this. Owning a business, I too feel the pressures of fitting commitments into a busy schedule. The more I get involved in the less time I have to commit to each project which in turn causes each project to be less productive. Stick to what works the best and slowly bring in the others as time and resources permit.

RI Swamp Yankee
05-10-2009, 09:36 PM
...So, Scot - how are those typing lessons going? ...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3583/3301395930_5d19a43fd0.jpg

fifteendays
05-10-2009, 11:42 PM
HA! That's great. I'm now hopeful that Marty can indeed learn to type. Maybe Marty could also record minutes from our staff meetings. Or weather observations...

Scot
MWO Staff

Knapper
05-11-2009, 12:58 AM
...Maybe Marty could also record minutes from our staff meetings. Or weather observations...

Scot
MWO Staff

The cat can take the minutes but if he starts doing observations...just one other thing I am going to have to discuss with NWS as to why our obs keep having misprints and our remarks keep saying "RMK BIRDS FLYING ALQDS".