PDA

View Full Version : Did Nin sign a book deal?

JimS
05-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I stumbled across this link this afternoon...It seems former MWO observer and Author Eric Pinder (who I believe does post here from time to time) has a new childrens book coming out?

http://www.ericpinder.com/html/nin.html

Looks interesting...Anybody know anything about it? One thing for sure...Nin is about to be famous...and the obs is gonna get more press!

Bill O
05-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I'd love to take a look inside.

Alpine
05-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Jim, thanks for giving the book a mention. Yes, the book is a cat's-eye view of the Obs and Mount Washington's wild weather. It should be hitting the shelves in North Conway and bookstores everywhere in the next week or two.

Nin was getting jealous of all of Marty's recent publicity, so he hired me to transcribe his memoirs. Good ol' Nin. I miss the days when he used to jump up on my desk and flop across all my notes right in the middle of the radio forecasts.

You can see another small picture from the book (of Marty, from the appendix) by clicking on "Cats" in the menu bar on the page you linked to. A portion of another picture is on the "Observatory" page.

Who knows, if the book does well maybe we'll have a sequel starring Marty one of these days. I think Brian Clark should write that one, though.

Knapper
05-14-2009, 03:03 AM
I'm going to see Nin this week off. Now I have something other than weather to talk to him about.

Brad
05-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Eric,

Will we have a book signing event in N Conway coming up?

Steve M
05-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Eric,

Will we have a book signing event in N Conway coming up?

Sure, not another event I'm too far away to attend...Wahhhhhh:(

crudio
05-14-2009, 09:24 AM
We just received our advance copy! Thanks, Eric! Looks great!

BlueDog
05-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Very cool! I will have to pick one up for my little niece.

Brad
05-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Ta heck with my nice niece. I want one for me.

mtruman
05-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Definitely want one of these. New edition of Life at the Top coming this summer too...

Alpine
05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Brad, yes, there are some book signings coming up, including one at White Birch Books in North Conway on July 25.

MelNino
05-15-2009, 03:45 PM
How cute! I'll have to pick one up.

mtruman
05-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Brad, yes, there are some book signings coming up, including one at White Birch Books in North Conway on July 25.

But that's the day of STP! Should have been on the 24th since we'll all be in North Conway then...:(

storygirll
05-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Dear Eric,

Your book looks wonderful! Can't wait to read it cover-to-cover!! Beautiful illustrations! Do you do school tours? I plan on purchasing at least two copies, one for myself and one for the school library. Just a thought (for us tender-hearts) . . . have a rubber stamp made from an ink print of Nin's paw print for book signings. A little something special (just a thought).

Mrs. T. in the library
>^..^<

Tim&Val
05-18-2009, 06:35 PM
When we were in N Conway this weekend, I asked at White Birch Books and was very sad to find out that the book signing was 2pm on Saturday of STP. Many of us will be "unavailable" as we'll be on the mountain. :(

If there are any other signing events planned in the area, please let us know!

Alpine
05-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up regarding the scheduling conflict with Seek the Peak. The booksigning at White Birch Books in North Conway has been changed to Friday, July 24, at 4 pm.

There will also be a reading and signing at the Weather Discovery Center in North Conway on Saturday, June 20, at 1 pm.

Cat in the Clouds just had its first reading at a preschool in Nashua, introducing Nin and the Mount Washington to a future generation of Obs members (I hope).

Breeze
05-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Eric, I had the book in my hands yesterday in Gorham. Louise and Steve at Mr. Pizza were talking about the possibility of a book signing there in the future?????? On a Tuesday evening? I would SO BE THERE as weekends I'm engaged in sending lots of people UP to the summit!

I absolutely was bowled over, what an awesome, winning package of story-telling and evocative, imaginative illustration!

Deep purrs of thanks and congrats to you for such a marvelous achievement!

Breeze

Steve M
05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
That's great news on the July 24th date change. Me, my wife, and two kids will be in North Conway that evening so we will be there.

Brad
05-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I will try for the Saturday date. On the 24th we are invited to a large gourmet dinner at a friend's house on the lake. Would not miss that for obvious reasons.

Alpine
06-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks, Breeze! For those north of the Notch, there'll be a signing at Wonderland Books in Gorham from 11-1 on June 27, and I'll be speaking and reading at the Berlin Library from 10-11 on Thursday, July 23.

Great idea with the Nin paw stamp, Mrs. T.

The illustrator, TBR Walsh, recently talked about the artistic process of putting together the book at his blog, which also has a few sample watercolors showing Nin: dovetails.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/new-children?s-book/ (http://dovetails.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/new-children?s-book/)

mtruman
08-02-2009, 02:05 PM
We were very glad that the book signing in N Conway was moved to the Friday of STP registration. We got there just in time to hear Eric's talk. Not only did we get a copy of Cat in the Clouds signed by both Eric and the illustrator but Eric had also brought a few pre-release copies of the new edition of Life on Top and I was lucky enough to snag a signed copy of one of those. It was nice meeting you Eric. Good luck with the book sales and your future authoring. Look forward to reading more of your work in the future. For anyone that didn't get a chance to get there you really should pick up a copy of Cat in the Clouds. Just a wonderful book (and a wonderful tribute to Nin).

Alpine
08-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Thank you, Mark. It was great to meet you and other Obs folks at White Birch. Hope you all had a great time during Seek the Peak.

Sad news about Nin. I'd been away for two weeks and only found out when I got back the day before. So the book signing became sort of a wake for Nin, too. I hope the book makes a nice tribute for this amazing cat.