PDA

View Full Version : backcountry tent sites

EarlyBird
05-27-2009, 08:37 PM
hi,i have a question regarding a week long trip i have planned for next month regarding backcountry sites.

Garfield Ridge
Guyot
Ethan Pond
Nauman

can you pitch a freestanding tent at these sites or are there only platforms to pitch tents on? :confused:

billperegoy
05-28-2009, 01:06 PM
I was just at both Ethan Pond and Guyot last weekend. Ethan Pond has only platforms. Guyot has platforms at the main site but also has an overflow area which uses bare ground. I believe that use of the overflow area is regulated by the onlsite caretaker so it is likely you will need to use platforms at both locations.

I was successful with my non-freestanding tarptent at both locations. Just bring extra rope and prepare to spend a little more time setting up.

Tim&Val
05-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi EarlyBird,
Your question confused me a bit and it seemed that Billperegoy assumed that you asked a slightly different question, so I'll ask cuz I'm not shy...

Are you asking about setting up a freestanding or non-freestanding tent on the platforms?

Ours is freestanding, and we've never had any issue with it on the platforms. As Billperegoy said, a non-freestanding still works. There seem to be a lot of nails and sometimes even hooks on the sides of the platforms that you can lash to.

And the caretakers will try to keep you on the platforms until they fill up.

Hope this helps.
Valerie