PDA

View Full Version : Seek the Peak Guides

MaureenR
05-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Hello, I am registered for STP 09 and have little hiking experience, but have been planning this hike. My family is backing out because of the "stories" they've heard about the mountain and I certainly won't try it on my own. Does anyone know if there are guides (whom are paid) to take you at least part way up the mountain? Thanks,

MaureenR

Steve M
05-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Maureen,

Don't worry about a guide for STP. There will be so many people hiking to the summit that day all you will need to do is hike along with a group. My wife and kids will be hiking together this year and there are many others around this forum that will be there too so you should have no trouble. Most hikers will be hiking up on the east side taking Tuckerman Ravine Trail or Lions Head trail or both. That would be my suggestion to you is to stay on the East side. The Trailhead for both of these trails begins at the Pinkham Notch visitor Center on Rt. 16. It's before you get to the MW Auto Road if you didn't already know.

If you go to the Kick-off party at Flatbreads Pizza on Rt 16 in North Conway you will meet a bunch of people and can make plans for the next day if you would like.

Bill O
05-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I'd focus on getting your family back in gear for STP 2009. Over the next two months you can train and learn everything you need to about climbing Mount Washington safely.

MaureenR
05-31-2009, 07:00 AM
Thank you very much for the information. We will be at Flatbread's on Friday and will meet some of the people then. All along I have been considering the Jewell Trail to the Gulfside Trail because I've heard it's an easier climb. Are there trails on the East side that would be good for "beginning" hikers?

CHRIS
05-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi Maureen, I have done the Ammo/Jewell trail twice last year and I do believe the Jewell trail is on of the easiest. You are above tree line alot longer thou.It is also on the west side over by the Cog r/r station. I am sure there will be plenty more people chimming in here with more experince on the other trails. God luck and don't worry there will definetly be alot of people on the trails that day you could tag along with.

Bill O
05-31-2009, 09:39 AM
I agree with Chris. West side routes are going to put you a long way from the after party and the North Conway area. If you can walk up stairs you can handle pretty much every route on the mountain. East side routes are going to have much bigger crowds and people to tag along with.

Brad
05-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Based on what I saw the past two years most people went from Pinkham Notch Visitor Center up Tuckerman Ravine trail - up the Headwall - summit - then down the same way. The next set of folks went PNVC up Tuckerman Ravine Trail and cut to the right before getting to Hermit Lake and then going up lion Head. Then across the Garden - summit - and either down the same way or down with the Tuckerman Headwall crowd.

So, either route on the east side you will have company. If you see you can not make the summit due to weather or otherwise, either trail is fine for going down. Getting to the summit is not required. Having a good time, enjoying the day and getting to dinner are required. Dinner will be on the east side of the mountain just north of PNVC on route 16. So, the east side routes are close to dinner - a key factor for me. Have I mentioned that the dinner has been awesome!

CHRIS
05-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Absolutley right on Brad. Exspecialy the diner part. YUMMY!!!

Brad
05-31-2009, 07:53 PM
I'd focus on getting your family back in gear for STP 2009. Over the next two months you can train and learn everything you need to about climbing Mount Washington safely.

I ran the Vermont City Marathon in 3:43:42...it was awesome.

Bill, when I saw your signature line I was thinking of me - 3 days, 43 hours, 42 minutes. That would be an excellent time for me.

mtruman
06-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Everyone else who responded is definitely right about not needing a guide. There will be more people on the mountain that day than probably any other day this summer - and many who will be glad to provide assistance. The main thing is if you are all beginning hikers you should try to get out and do some easier mountain hikes to "get you hiking legs" and get comfortable with your ability and stamina. There is lots of information here about the kind of gear you should be carrying. Plenty of help to get you all to the top for STP.

MaureenR
06-02-2009, 05:37 AM
You have all been helpful. I will definitely leave from Pinkham Notch rather than the Jewell Trail. As for training, we don't have "mountains" in Connecticut, but we've been trying to hike what is available.

I will also pay attention to the packing list too! Thanks so much

Maureen

Brad
06-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Speed will vary for different folks. Someone like Bill O can leave PNVC at 7AM, get to the summit and be in a hot tub at the hotel for a couple of hours before going to dinner. 2 years ago we started a bit before 7AM and last year at 6AM - and got to dinner when most folks had done their first pass through the line. Conditioning is key. Check out the local High School football stadium stairs - or even just your basement stairs. There may be other places near you which doing it over and over again will help get you ready.

The beauty of the east side trails is you can go as far as you want - rest - and go back down - and be satisfied with your day and the accomplishments. Charlie last year wanted to get back up to Hermit Lake shelter. The view there of the whole ravine is wonderful. That would have been a great day for him. He surprised himself by getting above treeline on Lion Head (partly because he paced himself very slowly). For several hours he sat on the rocks looking out over Wildcat Mt and the valley. Then he headed down for the hot tub and dinner. It is all about doing what you can, having a good day and supporting MWO.

Steve M
06-02-2009, 07:47 AM
I don't know where in CT you live, Maureen, but if you have time between now and STP, take a ride to NW CT. There are lots of good hiking places like Bear Mtn. that can aid in getting you prepared. In central CT there is Ragged Mtn., Meriden Mtn., Mt. Lamentations. although not very high, they are still worthy of helping you get in shape. Those hikes are also great to take your gear with you on and will help you see how things are working or not working so you can make adjustments before you hike Mt. Washington.

WinterWarlock
06-02-2009, 02:04 PM
You have all been helpful. I will definitely leave from Pinkham Notch rather than the Jewell Trail. As for training, we don't have "mountains" in Connecticut, but we've been trying to hike what is available.

Maureen

Maureen - where in CT are you? I get down there every other week for work, and am looking forward to some after-work hiking...

Scott

Charlie
06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
im thinking of starting at 4:30 and then get above the trees and take a nice rest and when brad and others come by i will finish hiking with them .

this is just a thought for now i still have to get up at 3:30 and have my wife drop me off :eek:

mtruman
06-03-2009, 09:13 PM
As for training, we don't have "mountains" in Connecticut, but we've been trying to hike what is available.

Maureen

Actually you have many more "mountains" in CT than we have in RI. Steve's suggestions are good. Sleeping Giant is another good option. The main thing is to get some good distance with some cumulative elevation gain (which in the CT case means somewhere with many ups and downs). Depending on where in CT you are there are good options in MA (Blue Hills and Middlesex Fells in the Boston area and a number of locations in central and western MA). Another good option is Mt Monadnock in southern NH. It is only a 2 hour drive from RI and should be that or less for you. This is a "real mountain" (obviously not anything like Mt Washington or any of the other bigger mountains in the Whites). Get some New England hiking books at the library, explore you options and go have fun. The planning is half the fun anyway...

WinterWarlock
06-04-2009, 05:02 AM
Actually you have many more "mountains" in CT than we have in RI. Steve's suggestions are good. Sleeping Giant is another good option. The main thing is to get some good distance with some cumulative elevation gain (which in the CT case means somewhere with many ups and downs)..

I can second Sleeping Giant as a good workout because there are many ups and downs...some pretty steep too. Last time I was there I was on all fours on one of the trails - of course it was raining and blowing stink, but it was a good challenge.

CHRIS
06-04-2009, 06:46 AM
im thinking of starting at 4:30 and then get above the trees and take a nice rest and when brad and others come by i will finish hiking with them .

this is just a thought for now i still have to get up at 3:30 and have my wife drop me off :eek:

Thats pretty funny. I told my wife I was going to try to start of around 3:30-4:00 and she says I was nuts but I like starting things early. Plus we will be camping in Lancaster so I should have a good drive there and back plus once I get back down I have to run back and pick them up for the dinner. Glad to see I am not the only one that wants to start early.

mtruman
06-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Last year we started at 6:00 and it worked out great. Missed all the crowd doing the regular 7:00 send-off. Mostly had the trails to ourselves until we got to the junction of Tucks in the Alpine Garden (went up Lion Head). Worth beating the crowds to get an early Obs tour (and the best choice of cookies too)!

CHRIS
06-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Did someone say COOKIESSS. My grandaughter love the cookie monster.

Brad
06-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Two years ago we started at 6:30AM and last year we started at 6:00AM with Charlie. I was also going for an earlier start as that is good hiking weather and I would have a better chance of being down in time for dinner.

Charlie, if Diane is hiking also, you two might think about having a set of Family Radio units as you will probably want to set a different pace - and you may end up getting higher. If things work well, Diane might be back down in time to drive up and pick you up at the summit. Then you would not have to deal with DOWN as I know that is hard on you. The small radio units would let you know each other's plans and whether she could pick you up or not.

Charlie
06-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Two years ago we started at 6:30AM and last year we started at 6:00AM with Charlie. I was also going for an earlier start as that is good hiking weather and I would have a better chance of being down in time for dinner.

Charlie, if Diane is hiking also, you two might think about having a set of Family Radio units as you will probably want to set a different pace - and you may end up getting higher. If things work well, Diane might be back down in time to drive up and pick you up at the summit. Then you would not have to deal with DOWN as I know that is hard on you. The small radio units would let you know each other's plans and whether she could pick you up or not.

we will have to set some thing up with radios wit every one that way we all can chat .
and mark we wont have to bring lap tops to talk to each other :eek: