PDA

View Full Version : New Here

Homeschool2boys
06-03-2009, 08:55 AM
New here! We live in Southern NH and homeschool our 2 boys. They are both huge weather fans, the more bizarre the better! We've been on this website many times but for some reason I never considered a membership...until a friend suggested it to me yesterday. I'm so glad I did! I spent every summer during the first two weeks of July in North Conway and Mount Washington was always a favorite! Sadly, I have not taken the boys up yet. I am so thankful for this website. It is well put together and filled with tons of information and beautiful scenery. Thank you so much! :-)

Steve M
06-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Glad to have you aboard. Are you also a member of the Observatory? If not please consider joining. They do a great job Observing and forecasting the weather in the mountains, as well as teaching in the schools and the research projects they are involved in. They have some great benefits for their members as well. Seek-the Peak is a great time to raise money for the Obs. and to meet fellow forum members and the staff of the Obs. Check out this page: https://secure3.convio.net/mwobs/site/SPageNavigator/membership/membership_center

Homeschool2boys
06-05-2009, 12:27 PM
I purchased the Family Membership a few days ago. We've only gone on a few very moderate hikes, but as the boys get older, we'd like to try a few more challenging hikes. Well, not too challenging as our youngest is only 6! Although, I wasn't even thinking about hikes or things like that...I was thinking about the fantastic weather scenes and data on the website that we're all so interested in! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Amanda :)

Brad
06-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Amanda

Welcome to the forum and thanks for becoming a new member. The web site has a lot of information including weather records (highs and lows, etc.) We have been known to run contests to guess the snowfall for a month or the highest temp.

For the past couple of years the web camera images and Conditions image have been archived. The web site updates the images every 15 minutes. If everything is working right, those images get sent to the archive site so we can review them later. The link is in my signature line below.

mtruman
06-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Welcome Amanda and thanks for becoming a member. Love to see more people supporting the OBS. Look forward to your participation on the forums.

CHRIS
06-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Welcome to the forum Amanda. You will find a great bunch of people here with all kinds of experince in the whites and knowledge of MWO that are more than willing to help out anyone. Great to have a new member of the Obs. they can never have enough members. Of course we require just one thing if you start doing any exploring and that is PICTURES we love trip reports and pictures. Look forward to your participation on this forum.

Steve M
06-06-2009, 07:49 AM
I purchased the Family Membership a few days ago. We've only gone on a few very moderate hikes, but as the boys get older, we'd like to try a few more challenging hikes. Well, not too challenging as our youngest is only 6! Although, I wasn't even thinking about hikes or things like that...I was thinking about the fantastic weather scenes and data on the website that we're all so interested in! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Amanda :)

Don't underestimate the potential of your kids. My son (6) and my daughter (8) (at the time), both hiked to the summit for Seek-the-Peak in 2007 on the Ammonosuc Ravine Trail. Then a few days later hiked up Tuckermans ravine around the alpine garden and down Lions Head trail. You will find the kids do better than the adults because they are like the energizer bunny, they keep going and going.
It is good to get everyone out on hikes on lesser mountains though and get everyone accustomed to hiking and to establish "rules" for them to follow. When we started taking the kids on hikes in the Smokies (they were younger then) we had harnesses for them so we weren't worried about them falling. It doesn't take long for everyone to understand what is expected.

TrishandAlex
06-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Amanda,

We homeschool as well -- I have two daughters. I get both of them out hiking regularly, you can always start on small hikes and see how they do. If they do well and are having fun, increase the mileage/elevation gain the next time around. My oldest is 6 and is finishing up the 4Ks this summer. My youngest is 4 and enjoys hiking as long as its no longer than 4 miles. You never know what your kids can do until you try.

This is a great forum with a lot of very friendly and knowledgeable people on it. Enjoy!