PDA

View Full Version : Vintage ice axe value?

mtngael
06-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I've tried this on several mountaineering forums I'm a member of with no replies, maybe someone here is knowledgeable enough to answer?

I'm curious as to what the market value of a mid-1940s vintage Stubai ice axe would be. Not a big item on the commercial front but I figured someone must know this stuff! Condition is near mint (only a teeny very shallow scratch on the side of the pick, otherwise it would be mint!).

mahony
06-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Did you try looking on eBay? I search for completed sales there to get an idea of the value of much of the crap...I mean stuff...we have from cleaning out the houses of assorted grandparents.

If that fails there is a guy who advertises locally (MA), who buys old tools...I'll look for his name today when I get home and post it...if I can find it myself.

mahony
06-16-2009, 05:22 AM
The ad for the guy locally who buys old tools and may be able to help:

number is 978-779-6086 or 978-875-1541....I have been seeing this ad for years so I think that they have been in business a while.

FtrPlt
08-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Sent you a private message. A lot of factors involved including specific makes/models, overall length, etc.

FtrPlt
08-21-2009, 09:18 PM
There are many variables in determining value. For someone wishing to use one, length is a consideration. Obviously condition is very important. I have a few vintage axes but they hang on my wall. I've paid between $20 to $75 for mine.

Chris