PDA

View Full Version : STP Trails Question

CHRIS
06-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I am trying to decide if I want to go up Tucks and down Lions Head. Or go up Lions Head and down Tucks. I know there are alot more people That have hiked that side of the mountain here.I have only hiked the West side. I also plan on starting pretty early if that would make a difference. (4ish)Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtruman
06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Last year we went up Lion Head and down Tucks. That's the plan again this year. I wanted to do Boott Spur but since this is the first time to the top for our daughter we're going with the Lion Head route. From our one circuit this way I think it's easier going up Lion Head rather than down but I've seen many comments that say the opposite.

Tar Heel
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
last year we went up lion's head and down tucks. i liked this because once on top of lion's head there was some flat to "recover" before heading up the summit cone

CHRIS
06-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks Mark and Tar Heel. I do believe I am going to ascend Lions Head and descend Tucks. Your pictures were great Mark from your hiking photos. Looks like a nice hike.

smithtim
06-09-2009, 11:11 AM
if late winter and the snow is still good I've seen some people hike up Lions head to the rock outcropping with Skis or a snowbaord on their pack. Then ski right down into the ravine :D

Brad
06-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Chris, here are my pictures from STP last year - up Lion Head and down Tux. Cookies in between at the summit.

http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/hikes/2008-hikes/2008-07-26-stp/

CHRIS
06-09-2009, 06:19 PM
You had some great pictures also Brad. I do believe that is the way I am going this year.
The picture of the smart car made me laugh. If there was a good wind gust it would have blown away.