PDA

View Full Version : Best bet for moose in the Whites?

mojonh
06-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I've lived in NH for just over 2 years now and have done more than my fair share of hiking in that time. I'm usually up north most weekends regardless of season and I still have yet to actually see a moose in NH (I've seen them in Maine on a couple of occasions..and out west).

I have a couple of friends coming in from out of town in a couple of weeks to do the single day Presi Traverse. I thought it might be fun to to try and bag a moose sighting with them the night before we start.

Can anyone recommend our best bet for a sighting them the Gorham area? Thanks...

mtruman
06-10-2009, 11:10 AM
My suggestion is go whereever Patrick (forestgnome) goes and stay away from whereever I go. My family refer to me as "moose repellent". :(

Knapper
06-10-2009, 08:38 PM
While there is no guarantee you will see a moose while visiting, it is worth the try. It took me nearly 11 months before I saw my first moose when I moved out here to start work at the obs and my first time was across the street from Pinkham Notch visitor center in the bog that is there. The two key things are head north and get away from popular, people heavy places. For a guarantee, try Moose Alley which is the stretch of Route 3 from Pittsburg, NH to the Canadian boarder. But for some other good places and for some pointers on where to go and how to be safe, check out: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Outdoor_Recreation/wildlife_watching_moose_spotting.htm. This is the NH Fish and Game site for moose watching. Good luck!

Bill O
06-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Northeast corner of US-2 and NH-115 at dawn.

MountainMan
06-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Try anywhere from Twin Mtn. on 302 all the way thru Crawford Notch....early morning and dusk

Magpie
06-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I saw my first Moose in Bartlett heading up towards Wildcat. I have also seen them in Lincoln woods.
If you really want to have a good chance take the tour in Lincoln. Don't know the name. Its across from Muncies.

KathyC
06-18-2009, 05:14 AM
I often see them on the Kank going towards Lincoln, there are some marshy areas just after Bear Notch Rd. and the Oliverian trail.

mahony
06-18-2009, 09:26 AM
On a bushwhack just beyond Sabbaday Falls and before Fool Killer on the West side of the River I found many many piles of moose poop and I followed moose tracks all over the area. Also saw a lot of eveidence of moose on the way down Passaconaway toward Square Ledge. Now if I could just see a moose instead of poop.

mtruman
06-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Based on the hoofprints and piles of poop ever few hundred feet or less when we were hiking aroung Mountain Pond last month I'd say that's a good location. We of course did not see one though...

mojonh
06-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Well we gave it a good shot. The Friday before our traverse we drove the Kanc around dusk. 16 to 93 and nothing. On the way back we see it.......5-6 cars pulled over. Everyone is excited, we pull up, and are told we juuuuuust missed 2 that crossed the road. Ouch!

Anyways, on to Conway to stock up on some food for the hike. Dinner at the moat...driving towards Gorham.

Then, off the right side near Pinkham I see that silhouette. I shout it out, we screech to a halt and sitting right infront of us was a small cow. We had a decent look at it but it quickly turned off the road and disappeared into the brush.

A couple miles up we see another one, turn around and get real good looks at it for being night.

It only took 2.5 years and countless trips to the Whites to FINALLY see one in NH.

While we were pulled over looking at the second moose my buddies in the trailing car kept going and saw a cow and calf another mile up the road. I can't believe it took me that long....these things are like blackflies in June :rolleyes:

Oh yeah...the hike was great too....:D

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs082.snc1/4882_1165275525964_1050157030_30499086_7412900_n.j pg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs082.snc1/4882_1165275565965_1050157030_30499087_5530422_n.j pg

Slojourner
07-18-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm an AT section hiker - done from Springer to I 40 - and am THE ONE who has never seen a bear. All through the Smokies I expected to turn every corner and there would be my bear. Other hikers told stories of bear encounters at the shelters each night. I had no bear story.

BUT last week, my wife (not a hiker - but a shuttle bunny EXTRODINAIRE) and I went on our first car trip to NE. The thing at the top of my list of places to see was the top of Mt. Washington. After picking up a couple of hitch-hiking NOBO's at Gorham and dropping them at Pinkham Notch we went up the Auto Road on the afternoon of Tuesday, July 7 (day before camel summit). It was a little touch-n-go on the way up as my wife doesn't do well in these situations. But we made it to the top and had a wonderful time exploring the summit in the clouds, rain, and wind.

Now understand, having lived in the southeast all our lives (SC, FL, New Orleans, GA), we had gotten excited seeing "Moose Crossing" signs and "Brake for Moose" signs. Those were a novelty for us. As we were headed back down the Auto Road, about a 1/4 before the AT crosses it, we had OUR moose encounter. Actually it was 2 'mooses' - what appeared to be a mama and her calf. They crossed the road ahead of us and the mama began grazing as we took a few pictures. The were majestic animals - didn't seem to be the least bit intimidated by our presence.

Now when my hiking buddies are telling their 'oh-so-common-bear' stories sitting around the fire at night, I'll have a fresh spin to put on things.