View Full Version : 01-13-2007 or perhaps the 14

01-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Does anyone want to hike Washington this Sat or Sun?

01-11-2007, 12:24 AM
No, not 1/13 or 1/14.

But I plan on hiking it next Sat. 1/20 or Sun. 1/21.

Planning on doing the Tuckerman-LionHead Route.

Going to be heading out from Pinkham Notch visitor center anywhere from 6:30 to 7:30am.

Hopefully I'll summit sometime between 11:00-1:00pm, where I'll be jumping up and down, waving my hands and generally acting goofy into the observatory webcam (hi Mom!). Let's hope for light to moderate winds that day.

If anyone wants to join me, you're more than welcome.


01-11-2007, 05:29 AM
We will be watching looking for you.

01-11-2007, 10:54 PM
The forecast does not look promising, I prefer it to be a little colder and rule out chances of rain and would rather have snow. I am down for the following week.

01-12-2007, 11:01 AM
With the way the forecast looks for this weekend and next, you should have all snow. It is going to getting very cold here starting Sat afternoon in NH especially in the mountains. I dont think you will have any rain to deal with unless your driving from southern New england along the coast

01-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Snow is nice--freezing rain can make the climb a little more treacherous. But, it's the wind that I'm mostly concerned about, and unfortunately wind conditions are much harder to predict.

I'm shooting for a Sat Jan 20 summit. I'll keep an eye out on the forecasts and will probably make a stronger commitment Thurs or Fri.

Dirty, if you're going to be doing it on the same day let me know, so that we can coordinate things a bit.


rockin rex
01-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Winter on Washington wind is a given. You can plan on high winds if you do a winter climb up the rock pile. Can't remember a winter climb on the rock pile where I didn't have some kind of wind above tree. Plan on high winds then if they are not that bad you will be happy.

01-13-2007, 01:53 AM
I am 90% commited to the 14th I will be departing from Pinkham Notch at 7 but I will wait till 8 if no one is showing. I may come back the following week to do it again.


01-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Relatively nice weather this afternoon: light snow, 19°F, W 46 mph, -3°F windchill, 1/16 mile visibility.

Congratulations to any and all who hiked the summit today.