PDA

View Full Version : Be a weather recorder & lighthouse keeper for a week

spyboy
06-19-2009, 02:26 PM
This looks interesting, you can stay overnight in the lighthouse in the museum (1st floor) or stay for a week on the 2nd floor and run the lighthouse and museum...

Your daily duties start about 7:30 AM when you listen to the marine weather on the VHF radio. At 8 AM your rounds begin by raising the flag (you will lower it at sunset). Next you will record and manage our NOAA cooperative weather station, wind-powered electric system, and rainwater gathering system. You'll make sure the lighthouse is clean and presentable for the day, will greet visitors and overnighters in the museum, and will collect money from the landing fee boxes and gift shop at the end of the day.

http://roseislandlighthouse.org/weeklong_keepers.html

Brad
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Now that is cool. It would be a very enlightening week.

Does the lighthouse have a foghorn?

mtruman
06-19-2009, 05:09 PM
We spend a lot of time in that area as my inlaws live right at the foot of the Newport Bridge directly across from the lighthouse. This is a great area to paddle a kayak (which we do frequently) and Rose Island would be a cool place to explore and just hang out watching the boats sailing in and out of Newport harbor (not to mention all the features of the lighthouse).

h2oeco
06-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Definitely a nice place to visit - one of my aunts has a house in Jamestown, and I went to high school in the area as well - I've kayaked, fished, and sailed near Rose Island quite a bit, but have never set foot on land there. While playing lighthouse keeper might be fun, I don't think I'd want to pay the $700 to $2300 fee for the opportunity...

Ed