PDA

View Full Version : out west WA summer trip

smithtim
06-27-2009, 05:15 PM
So we're planing our summer trip and my wife wanted to visit Seattle and then Olympic natl park... we're staying in downtown Seattle for 6 nights then a few nights at the lodge so we've got a few free day trips; I'm curious to see if you all know of any "day hikes" that would be recomended???

I've been looking at the north face of Mt. Bakter from SR542 trailhead in the cascades

and

K ridge of hurricane ridge road in Olympic.

Both of those appear to get up to treeline (actually approaching Glacier on Bakter) which is about what we are looking for in a day hike... I'd like to let my wife see some things at treeline and maybe even throw on some crampons but I don't want to be throwing a rope to cross crevasses or whatnot ( she has never done any formal climbing before, but she's done much hiking and in good shape)

Anything you could share and/or suggested day trip hikes would be apprehcaited :)

Thanks, Tim

Bill O
06-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I've been out to Seattle a few times for climbing trips (Rainier and Adams), but I don't know much about the area. What I do know is there is a lot of terrain to explore. If you are into outdoor recreation that is the place to be.

I'm curious, why six nights in Seattle? Are you going to do day trips from there? Beyond a few tourist sites Seattle can be seen in just a few days.

The only thing I can recommend is the day hike from Paradise Lodge up to Camp Muir on Mount Rainier. That is a great dayhike, but not necessarily in the direction you were headed.

I know Backpacker Magazine is always writing about WA day hikes so it might be worth poking around there. Their hikes are usually pretty tame, great routes, but no crampons needed.

smithtim
06-27-2009, 05:42 PM
thanks... I'll check into that magazine & probably add paradise upto muir to our list (or at least in the direction of muir); I'd been reading a little about that on summitpost before and they seem to say muir is a pretty good and easily acessiable day trip

thanks again & best regards, Tim

p.s we just did the six nights in Seattle cause my wife hates to change hotels ( i.e. likes a home base) and that's where we are flying into + day trips north to the cascades etc. or day trips south to Rainier etc, seemed doable

Bill O
06-28-2009, 05:38 AM
I understand. I like a home base too. It is nice to unpack and come back to the same place every night.

I didn't mention the North Cascades, which are probably some of the most scenic and rugged mountains in the country. It might be a little far for a day trip though.

smithtim
06-28-2009, 12:17 PM
yeah we are defintey doing at least one in the cascades! defintley Baxter north face and shuksan west face maybe ... both look like about 2-3 hour drive from seattle I-5 then SR542 so it will be a long day and our time on the trail will probably be limited to 6ish hours but i'm sure it'll be worth it :)

Patrad Fischroy
07-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Not much to do with outdoor stuff, but at least one evening in Seattle has to include the "Wild Ginger" restaurant on 3rd and Union. It is an Asian fusion place that has never disappointed me.

BlueDog
07-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Not much to do with outdoor stuff, but at least one evening in Seattle has to include the "Wild Ginger" restaurant on 3rd and Union. It is an Asian fusion place that has never disappointed me.

And a must stop is to the REI flagship store (http://www.rei.com/stores/11)!