PDA

View Full Version : Black Cap Mountain, July 5, 2009 (a Sage hike)

TrishandAlex
07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Cut and pasted from Sage's very pink hiking blog: http://sagehikes.blogspot.com

Accompanying pictures can be found there.

Black Cap Mtn. Trail, 2.2 miles roundtrip.

I got to take Sage out today, just the two of us. We choose a hike with ledges and views. It was a gorgeous day!! Finally, after over a week of solid rain, there was sunshine.

After the steep and windy drive up Hurricane Mountain Road (on the outskirts of North Conway), we found the trailhead.

The trail starts off flat and easy.

We saw some cool-looking roots. One of them was shaped like a Y.

More flat and easy trail...

Sage had a lot of fun finding and pointing at all the blazes...

...and making a silly face or two.

We enjoyed the beautiful, sunny day. We played word games and Sage sang a few songs for me. When we got to the 0.7 mile mark, we sat and took a short break.

After some water, we continued onward. Sage drew a line in the dirt for me to follow.

The trail became a bit steeper and rockier.

The trail opened up, and we came to some ledges.

0.2 miles later, we arrived at the summit! Sage sat and examined a piece of grass.

We then both stood, enjoyed the views, and took pictures.

A nice lady took our picture.

After eating lunch and taking a leisurely rest, we meandered on down. Of course, we stopped to play with dirt whenever the urge took over.

Sage was in a great mood. She sang most of the way down, and was very proud of herself when she arrived back at the trailhead.

Happy 4th of July weekend, everyone!

mtruman
07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
What a great way to end off the holiday weekend! Sage is going to be stepping up into Alex's shoes (uh, boots) soon. This looks like another small peak with a lot to offer. What's better than "a hike with ledges and views"!

TrishandAlex
07-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks, Mark!

I don't know if Sage will ever want to hike 4Ks. It's okay if she doesn't -- I just want to get her out there and have her do what she enjoys, and exist out in nature.

I love getting out there with each of them. They are two very different kids, and both my husband and I both enjoy getting one-on-one time with them.

Thanks for your kind words. :)

CHRIS
07-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I admire what you and your husband do Trish. I wish more people would be more involved in the kids lifes and get them outside and spend qaulity time with them. There are way to many kids that just cannot pull themselves away from electronic toys and tv.I try to spend as much time as I can with my daughter. How ever I wish she would get into hiking more but I will take whatever I can get. So keep up what you two are doing and believe me your daughters will remeber. My son is almost 25 and sometimes he starts telling me about something I did with him when he was little and I cannot even remember but he does

TrishandAlex
07-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks, Chris. Getting them out and in nature is one of my priorities in life. I am lucky that I have a husband who shares my no-TV-or-video-games philosophy, and I am lucky that he trusts me to take them out on a trail (especially in winter).

I appreciate your nice words.

Tar Heel
07-09-2009, 04:30 PM
sage, keep playing in the dirt. it's amazing what you can find in there :D