PDA

View Full Version : Moose on the loose

Brad
07-06-2009, 04:12 PM
When driving back from the Cog Base Station to N Conway this morning on route 302 almost to Dry River campground there was a moose walking slowly along the side of the road. All sorts of cars were stopped with cameras out the windows. No, I did not stop and run back with my camera. There was too much activity already and someone - maybe the moose - would get hurt. We drove slowly by.

Charlie
07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
very good brad why take a chance of spooking the Moose

krummholz
07-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Reminds me of something that I experienced a few weeks ago in the Smokies. There was a giant traffic jam on the road into Cades Cove, and the word was passed down that there was a bear. Probably a couple dozen people were out of their cars with cameras, etc., but the bear had gone. An hour later on a side road in the Cades Cove area I was driving along, nobody else around, and a bear slowly ambled up to the wire fence, held down the lower strand with his paw, squeezed through, crossed the road, did the same manuever with the fence on the other side, and walked calmly up the hill into the woods. I didn't have my camera accessible, but that's okay. Much as I admire good photography (especially some of what I see on this forum), I realize that some experiences don't need to be photographed.

TrishandAlex
07-07-2009, 03:55 PM
A few days ago I was driving along the Kanc. A good handful of cars had pulled over just west of the intersection with Bear Notch Road -- and there were four of five teens and a couple of kids in the woods by the side of the road. Of course, there was a moose, who really wanted to cross the street. The kids/teens kept approaching the moose, who thankfully went further back into the woods instead of running them over.

The poor thing finally got enough space between it and the people...it went up through the forest and managed to cross about 50 feet away from the crowd.

I had stopped, but I stayed by the side of my car and videotaped the people. There was an adult telling them to get out of there, but of course the kids/teens didn't listen. :(

spyboy
07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I was 30-40 feet from a moose IN MY DRIVEWAY a few weeks ago.

He was between me and the house, and I was looking for a place to run if he charged (of course he would have gotten me, they move fast)

I don't have to travel far to see wildlife, I've seen just about everything, out the window of the house or in the yard.

bald eagle
deer (tons, walking through the yard)
turkey w/6 babies
fisher cat
red squirrel
moose (twice)
all sorts of birds in the winter

Still haven't seen a porcupine or black bear (in the yard)