PDA

View Full Version : trails . com

Charlie
07-11-2009, 09:00 AM
is it worth it or is there a free one some on line

BlueDog
07-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I tried it and didn't think it was worth it. Also, I think AMC touted it as a benefit for membership, and when I joined there, found out that it was a discount. Uber Fail.

Backpacker.com has been building up a database of hikes, trail reports, all with downloadable GPS tracks and photos. That's one of the first sources I check when looking for places to go.

Bill O
07-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't understand why somebody can't make this work under a free, advertising based model.

Charlie
07-11-2009, 02:06 PM
thanks i do look at Backpacker im a member there

mtruman
07-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Backpacker is getting very good. I've had a membership with trails.com for a couple of years and I keep it for a different reason. Rather than just user posted trips and directions they provide access to hundreds (or more likely thousands) of complete hiking guide books. There are many times when I'm looking for info on a particular trail or route and I can find it there when I can't find anything elsewhere. Rather than buying the book I can just download and print (or save as PDF) that one trail/route. I still buy books as well but since the annual membership is no more than the cost of one book I think it's worth it.