PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington NOAA Weather Radio

mtruman
07-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm considering carrying a handheld weather radio for our White Mountains backpacking trip in a couple of weeks. I'm curious about how the reception is from the Mt Washington NOAA transmitter around the area. Do any of the other here carry one of these? How's your experience been with it? Model?

Knapper
07-15-2009, 10:47 PM
The coverage by our receiver and surrounding receivers is pretty good. I have never myself carried one but have gone with other that had one; Oregon Sci WR102. The coverage in the Whites can be a bit spotty at times, especially along the ME/NH boarder and in deep ravines like the bottom of the Great Gulf and Tux. This coverage map will give you a better idea of some expectations while hiking: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/states/newhampshire.html. A lot of it is all about line of site. If you are only out for 3-4 days, I would say just a general forecast would be sufficient to lighten your load. But for peace of mind, it is a good investment, especially if you can find one built into a walky talky. But, looking at long term models tonight, they aren't showing a change in pattern for at least the next week and a half. Clouds, cool, with a chance or likely pattern of rain/thunderstorms.

mtruman
07-15-2009, 11:09 PM
The coverage by our receiver and surrounding receivers is pretty good. I have never myself carried one but have gone with other that had one; Oregon Sci WR102. The coverage in the Whites can be a bit spotty at times, especially along the ME/NH boarder and in deep ravines like the bottom of the Great Gulf and Tux. This coverage map will give you a better idea of some expectations while hiking: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/states/newhampshire.html. A lot of it is all about line of site. If you are only out for 3-4 days, I would say just a general forecast would be sufficient to lighten your load. But for peace of mind, it is a good investment, especially if you can find one built into a walky talky. But, looking at long term models tonight, they aren't showing a change in pattern for at least the next week and a half. Clouds, cool, with a chance or likely pattern of rain/thunderstorms.

Thanks for the advice Ryan. Just had another thought - carry a cell phone and call you for forecasts ;). Of course the forecast that you just related here sounds easy to predict. More of the same as the last 2 months or so. :( Please make it end!!! We perhaps need to once again call on the forecasting magic from Brian to give us a sunny day for Seek the Peak.

mtruman
07-22-2009, 08:54 AM
I picked up a pair of 27 mile range two way radios with full NOAA band receivers. They work great here - we'll find out how the coverage in the Whites is this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion Ryan - having the walkie talkies is a nice safety feature anyway.

CHRIS
07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
What brand did you end up getting Mark?
Could you post how they work in the whites after your hike.

mtruman
07-22-2009, 10:20 AM
They're the Cobra microTALK LI 2700-2 WX (http://www.cobra.com/products/sales/microtalk-li-7200-2-wx-27-mile-radio-with-weather). They were on clearance at BestBuy for $49 so it was too good a deal to pass up. I'll let you know how they work at the end of next week...

mtruman
08-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Just wanted to report that the NOAA weather radio reception in our walkie talkies worked great. Tried them out in multiple locations on Mt Washington, Moose Brook campground and several places along the Bondcliff trail and got perfect reception everywhere. This was nice to have for up to date forecasts on the multi-day backpack and having the walkie talkies around as a safety measure is a good idea (although we never used them on this trip).