PDA

View Full Version : How's the Snow Arch This Year

mtruman
07-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Last year there was all sorts of buzz prior to STP about the condition of the snow arch (including the "when will it fall" contest). Haven't heard anything this year. What have we go in store for next Saturday? Has all the spring rain washed it away this year?

Here's what was left last year after it collapsed (I think) about a week prior to STP.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_KuEV5mt1_ak/SJX601H9XOI/AAAAAAAACIQ/fe7RSNN2I1Q/s640/080726-140244.jpg

faegilr
07-18-2009, 02:34 PM
http://www.mountwashington.org/photos/journal/2009/07/2330-450.jpg

Supposedly this is how it looked early July. Hopefully there will still be enough left for some good pictures.

JimS
07-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Supposedly this is how it looked early July. Hopefully there will still be enough left for some good pictures.

I wouldn't count on it being there this year looking at that picture. There are two factors that affect snowmelt on the mountains, temperature and humidity. I'd argue that the humidity is probably the larger factor on summer snowmelt in the Whites. And...though the weather has been cool, and we started out with an average pack, I think we've just been too wet, humid and foggy to allow it to stay...

On the upside, the flowers are beautiful around that area once the snow melts away!

Bill O
07-18-2009, 07:06 PM
I don't know. While June was a total washout in this area, the first part of July was extraordinarily dry. Low humiditiy, cold nights and dry days.

JimS
07-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Still snow on the webcam on this very clear morning. A quick look at the size of the patch, and the melt time from similar size last year was bout 5 days. Not looking good...

Knapper
07-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Not sure of the arch, I didn't see it hiking up my last week off but I wasn't really looking for it. There wasn't nearly as much snow as last year but there were still a few patches there. In contrast, the Jefferson snow field disappeared last year between the 11-13 where as this year we saw it the 16th and lost it the 17th. So like Jim said, about 5 days difference. So there is a chance.

Steve M
07-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, My opinion is I hope there is something for you all to see. Good luck on your hike everyone and I hope the weather lets you all summit!!:)

mtruman
07-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, My opinion is I hope there is something for you all to see. Good luck on your hike everyone and I hope the weather lets you all summit!!:)

Wish you were going to be there with us to see it (or not). Keep looking forward to next year...

Bill O
07-30-2009, 08:50 PM
So, was there any snow left in the bowl this year?

kendra4
07-31-2009, 11:39 AM

first time I did this I wonder if it works with the attachment!

Brad
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Nice - when was this picture taken?

kendra4
07-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Brad if your talking to me it was last sat on seek the peak day. we took lions head up and tucks down. As you can see from my friend in the background 2 seconds later i was hit with a snowball!

Brad
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Brad if your talking to me it was last sat on seek the peak day. we took lions head up and tucks down. As you can see from my friend in the background 2 seconds later i was hit with a snowball!
Ah, snowball fights in NH at the end of July. Lots of fun.

Snow Miser
07-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Ah, snowball fights in NH at the end of July. Lots of fun.

Hurry though, my brother Heat Miser is about to take all the snow away. :(

KD Talbot
07-31-2009, 07:24 PM
http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/61awashington72509.jpg

This was the first time I ever climbed up on it. I boot skied down until I fell and finished with a butt slide right off the end into the talus. I think I might have scared a few people. :D I was in control the whole way. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Wish we had that on film!

KDT

mtruman
07-31-2009, 11:44 PM
This was the first time I ever climbed up on it. I boot skied down until I fell and finished with a butt slide right off the end into the talus. I think I might have scared a few people. :D I was in control the whole way. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Wish we had that on film!

KDT

I'm sure that film could be auctioned off to raise a lot of money for STP '10 ;)