PDA

View Full Version : Quick Warm up for STP (Monroe) - Question: How is the Ammonoosuc right now?

corey.mcentyre
07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Ok ... Sorry for the late question, but was thinking of a quick trip to see Lakes of the Clouds and possibly Monroe. Has anyone seen the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail in the past few days? Any equipment advice for an early morning hike tomorrow? (trailhead @ 6:30am)

Thanks!!

billysinc
07-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Hiked it on Sunday and other than a few muddy patches on the flat sections near the bottom the trail is great. Other than bug spray no special gear.

corey.mcentyre
07-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Hiked it on Sunday and other than a few muddy patches on the flat sections near the bottom the trail is great. Other than bug spray no special gear.

Thanks for the tip. We're off to see the Wizard. Hope the sun peeks through for us.

mtruman
07-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey, glad to hear that you're joining us again this year Corey. Must be tough adjusting to not having the "Brad bus" to ride north more regularly. Enjoy Lakes and Monroe - hope you have a great day!

Brad
07-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Corey,

It looks like a nice day so far for you. Did you put on a helmet camera so we can follow along with you?

Mark,

I did do the airport run to pick them up yesterday - and they (Corey & his son Michael) are staying at my son's "cabin". So, the bus from NC to Maine might not be running, but we are still working on making sure they can get their Maine/NH fix.

corey.mcentyre
07-23-2009, 05:47 PM
It looks like a nice day so far for you. Did you put on a helmet camera so we can follow along with you?

I did do the airport run to pick them up yesterday - and they (Corey & his son Michael) are staying at my son's "cabin". So, the bus from NC to Maine might not be running, but we are still working on making sure they can get their Maine/NH fix.

As always, a HUGE thank you to Brad and Bill! At this point my debt to the Bradstreets is so great, I might as well see if Brad is open to adoption. ;-)

Got our fix. :) The hike was wet, buggy (thanks again for the tip - we were covered), and tough .. but, fun. I'll post some pictures later once I have a chance to get them downloaded. We did brunch at the hut and hit Monroe when it looked clear and wandered around the Lakes for a while before heading back down. Met a group of 40-50 middle school girls who had just spent the night at the hut - their guides looked tired. ;-)

FYI .. The forum should be on the lookout for some "missing or rescued hiker" reports soon: On our descent, we talked to at least a dozen people headed for Mt. Washington via Ammo-Lakes-Crawford. Many started as late as 1 or 2pm. One of the groups had a girl who was tired and balking at my hour estimate just to Lakes - I tried to convince her and her hiking buddies to stay at the hut or reverse w/o success. Lots of shorts/tee/sneakers - not much in the way of other gear in sight. Maybe "Not Without Peril" should be required reading before being allowed in the Whites?

KD Talbot
07-23-2009, 06:02 PM
not to worry. Normal gear/experience/knowledge for Mount Washington trails. Incredibly, 99.99% make it.

KDT

Brad
07-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Nice to hear you had a good day - and got down before the weather really closed in tight.

mtruman
07-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Sounds like a great warm-up hike! See you tomorrow night...

corey.mcentyre
07-24-2009, 02:46 PM
The trip was a good one and the weather cooperated just enough to allow us to enjoy the area and the views.

Trip Pictures (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2029536&id=1379500386&l=ceb841cb25)

There are descriptions along with most of the pictures.

Breeze
07-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Be careful all of you STP hikers tomorrow! IT IS WET!

There was a carry-out this morning from Lakes Hut ( hiker was coming up Ammo).

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2009/07/24/mass_hiker_breaks_leg_in_nh/

Breeze

AndyM
07-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm new to the forum and will be a first-timer later in August. 'Not Without Peril' - is this a publication, web page, other document? How can I access it? BTW, enjoyed Corey's photos.

AndyM
07-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Never mind, answered my own question after a Google inquiry.

corey.mcentyre
07-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm new to the forum and will be a first-timer later in August. 'Not Without Peril' - is this a publication, web page, other document? How can I access it? BTW, enjoyed Corey's photos.

Its a book by Nicholas Howe. It has a great history of the area and some historical deaths that occurred in the Whites.

Brad suggested I read it prior to attempting some solo winter summits - he wanted to make sure I had the proper perspective and level of respect before I headed out. It worked as I always thought before acting and evaluated my fitness and circumstance as I did my winter hikes.

Short version: it will scare you into being careful. ;)

Here is a link to the Amazon listing for the book (http://www.amazon.com/Not-Without-Peril-Misadventure-Presidential/dp/1929173067).

soldsoul4foos
08-05-2009, 05:15 PM
slippery trail indeed i can imagine when it's wet. first time was last year...in the lighting..eek!

does anyone know the name of the trail that starts right in front of the cog railway? i want to try that saturday weather permitting. I'm at work, and don't have my trail book, thought i'd research a bit tonight. :)

thanks,
bill

soldsoul4foos
08-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Jewel Trail. Got it. Isn't google great. :)

Brad
08-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Cross the tracks at the Cog base Station - and that trail joins the Jewell. To the left at the junction is to the hikers' parking lot. To the right is up towards Clay.

Before the summit of Clay hang a right and go right along the side of the ridgeline of the Great Gulf. In good weather it is an awesome view. Cross the cog tracks as you head to the summit. It is a good trail with good footing till you hit the summit cone.

Also, being on the west side you can see storms coming. There is a lot of time you will be exposed above treeline. So, watch the weather and see what is coming in at you.