PDA

View Full Version : boot suggestions

Tar Heel
07-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I have come to the conclusion I need to get boots that are slightly larger then what I wear for sneakers so I can wear thicker socks. Right now I have North Face Jasper Canyons but they don't make those any more. I also have Asolo FSN 95 GTX and have never been all that comfortable in them. So I am hoping some of you have boots you either love or hate and can give suggestions. I know everyone's feet are different but it is always good to hear where other people have had luck (or not luck). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

iceclimber
07-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Boots are really hard to suggest sometimes because it really depends on your foot type. However, I have a pair of La Sportiva trango evos that are not the most comfortable, but they fit my feet, don't give me blisters and they are waterproof. The downside is that they are not very insulated, so they are limited to use in only a certain climate. So, really, you need to just get to a store and start trying stuff on. Perhaps get to a good bootfitter and allow them to measure your feet and suggest to you some types that would be ideal for what you intend to do. Hope that helps. Remember, what may work for me may or may not work for you. Also, depending upon the climate you generally find yourself hiking in, you may or may not need a thick pair of socks, but sounds like you are looking for something a little more insulated if you are wearing thicker socks and thus are looking for a pair slightly larger than your street shoe size. I would recommend only going up a half size and finding a pair of boots like the La Sportiva brand that is suited to your climate and terrain demands.

Bill O
07-25-2009, 06:52 AM
What are these boots for? Mount Washington in the summer? Maybe you don't need boots at all.

Remember how these used to put big steel bars in the road to stop cattle? Now they just paint lines. There are different ways to do things.