PDA

View Full Version : first time to mount washington, advice needed

marinellib
07-26-2009, 10:55 AM
This will be my first time to Mount Washington and I would like some advice as to where i can find lodging on the mountain, what trails are recommended, and what supplies I should carry on the hike.

Thanks,
Ben

KD Talbot
07-26-2009, 10:45 PM
The only lodging you will find is Lake of the Clouds Hut on the southwestern flank of the mountain, reached by the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. You'll need a reservation well in advance:

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/huts-lakes.cfm

On the east side, Pinkham Notch, there is the Joe Dodge Lodge.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodges/pnvc/index.cfm

There are tentsites and shelters at Hermit Lake, reached by the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, if you are willing to backpack your stuff there. There is no other place to camp legally.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/campsites/hermit-lake-shelter.cfm

KDT

Brad
07-27-2009, 05:50 AM
This will be my first time to Mount Washington and I would like some advice as to where i can find lodging on the mountain, what trails are recommended, and what supplies I should carry on the hike.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben,

Can you give us a bit more info on what you want to do? Are you looking to do a day trip? Or pack for overnight? Is this a week long event you are looking for or what? What time of year?

Also, you might spend some time with the search capability on this forum. You will see several threads where some of your questions have already been asked.

Bill O
07-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Take a look around these forums. There must be twenty plus threads with the same title as yours. Some of them are just a few threads below yours. Gather all the info you can from there, then come back and ask away.

iceclimber
07-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Isn't there a tent site closer to the Lions Head trail?

climbabout
07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Jeremiah - closest tent site to the Lion Head trail is Hermit Lake shelters just below Tuckerman Ravine.
Tim

Brad
07-27-2009, 11:38 AM
When you go from PNVC up Tuckerman Ravine trail just before the ranger station, Lion Head trail goes off to the right - right at that junction on the right is a 3 sided lean to. From there to the ranger building and around to the left are tent sites and lean tos. This is the major place where hikers spent a night to get an early head start to summit. They leave heavy gear at the shelter or tent.

iceclimber
07-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Jeremiah - closest tent site to the Lion Head trail is Hermit Lake shelters just below Tuckerman Ravine.
Tim

Thanks. It has been awhile since I looked at some maps and I can't seem to find them at the moment, but will begin planning a trip soon.

Brad
07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
We can be confusing with our names. Hermit Lake = HoJo's. Many of us remember the ranger cabin which used to look like a Howard Johnson's. We have always called it HoJo's and probably will even though there is a new building.

Also, "we" = me for sure.