PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hike recommendation

ChrisN
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi all, my wife and I are looking for recommendations for a White Mountains hike involving a fair amount of scrambling. A few weeks ago we hiking Mount Jefferson via Caps Ridge and both loved it. Ideally we are looking for terrain similar to that.

I know Huntington Ravine offers this but I have also been advised to stay away from that trail due to its difficulty. Could anyone here possibly comment on that? I know the length is greater, but how does the difficulty compare to Caps Ridge?

I have gone up Washington via Lions Head and Jewell/Gulfside in the past so am familiar with the conditions on the mountain as a whole, just not the difficulty of Huntington.

Thanks in advance.

bluerex
08-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Have you hiked tuckermans yet? if not I would suggest trying that. It is harder then Loins head, but easier then Huntington.

billysinc
08-07-2009, 12:18 PM
IMO if you've done LH, Jewel, and Caps Ridge then Huntington Ravine shouldn't be a problem. There are sections that are a bit exposed if heights tend to bother you, but if they don't then you'll have a blast going up. Just make sure you pick a dry day. The slabs above the fan if wet would be pretty dangerous. I wouldn't plan on descending though wet or dry. All three times I've gone up that route I've descended by other routes after stopping at the summit. Twice by Lions Head and the other time Boot Spur.

ChrisN
08-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Nice, thanks for the reply, that is encouraging.

Yeah, the plan would be to take Lion Head or Spur down. Thanks again.

krummholz
08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Some other ones that have sections you might enjoy:

King Ravine
Castle Trail
Madison Gulf
Great Gulf

In the northeast but outside the Whites:

Mahoosuc Notch
A lot of trails on Mt. Mansfield
Just about everything on Katahdin

ChrisN
08-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Excellent, thanks! I will look into those. King Ravine on Adams I have read about before and that looked pretty good.

Katahdin is unfortunately a loonnnnngggg drive from here.

Edit: Madison looks pretty good. Probably between that or Huntington right now.