PDA

View Full Version : Elevation Map of the White Mountains

orangecat04
08-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I need help finding an elevation map of the White Mountains. My father has been saying he wants to get one for years, but doesn't know where to buy it. If anyone has been to the Willey House, they have a small one there, its very worn, but similar to what i would be looking for. If anyone has any suggestions at all, i would greatly appreciate it!

Brad
08-10-2009, 05:24 AM
Go to LL Bean (or I think REI stores can do this also) and check out their display for topo mapping software. They have the ability to print a color copy of a map. Line it up the way you want - print - then have it framed.

I have had one of our lake in Maine framed in my office for several years done this way. I did it at LL Bean in Freeport. If you have Delorme's TopoUSA software you can print the color map yourself.

mtruman
08-10-2009, 08:22 AM
I need help finding an elevation map of the White Mountains. My father has been saying he wants to get one for years, but doesn't know where to buy it. If anyone has been to the Willey House, they have a small one there, its very worn, but similar to what i would be looking for. If anyone has any suggestions at all, i would greatly appreciate it!

When you say an "elevation map" do you mean a regular topo map or something else? You can obviously get the AMC White Mountain Guide map set or one of the other similar maps.

Bill O
08-10-2009, 11:11 AM
If your looking for one to display or frame get the Washburn White Mountains map. For hiking get the small AMC map. There is also the raised relief plastic maps that can be framed. The Obs has a great composite of New England with all those maps stitched together, it's pretty cool. I did the same for Vermont and turned out great.

Brad
08-11-2009, 03:48 PM
This is an example of a Topo map of MW and some of the range from Delorme's Topo USA product.

http://images52.fotki.com/v1554/photos/8/8235/242566/MWTopo-vi.jpg

KD Talbot
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
but that software shows the trails, but not their names. It shows the contour lines, but has no elevations marked. It doesn't show length of trails or distance between junctions. I don't find those maps useful at all.

Go with the AMC maps.

KDT

Snow Miser
08-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I recently bought the AMC Guide with the maps, and I do have to say that they are the nicest, most detail ones I have seen.

Brad
08-11-2009, 05:37 PM
With the Delorme software mouse over the trail and the name appears - the elevations are listed when you zoom in enough for them to make sense - there is a profile ability for a route to see distance traveled and elevation gain, etc. It is not a substitute for the AMC maps. It is a handy tool for hike planning.

Getting back to the original question, if the desire is to have a topo map to mount and frame as a gift, this is an easy way of doing it - and you can do it for any area/section you want.

KD Talbot
08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Brad, that makes more sense, but without the software I don't have the capability.

I guess the question is dependent on what the use of the map will be.

KDT