PDA

View Full Version : good 2-3 nights in the whites

EarlyBird
08-10-2009, 07:15 PM
looking for any suggestions for a good 2-3 night traverse.I did a pemi traverse from crawford notch to lafayette at the end of june.

has anyone done a carter-moriah range trek before?if so...can you recommend a good route?i hear wildcat E is pretty challenging.

anyother trip suggestions would be greatly noted and appreciated.I'm looking for something rewarding with great views and and not too far off the beaten path.

thank you in advance

KD Talbot
08-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Wildcat E is pretty challenging, but then so is the hike up the Carter-Moriah Trail from Carter Notch, not to mention North Carter. :)

OK, I think this is a great trek, but if you're worried about steep, scary climbs, then it is not for you.

If you're intent on doing it, consider doing it from north to south. 1st night at Imp Shelter/Tentsite. Next day the toughest part would be climbing up to North Carter. 2nd night at Carter Notch then up over the Wildcats day 3. The climb down from Wildcat E can be avoided by hiking down the Polecat Ski Trail. Total distance about 19 miles and about 8000' elevation gain.

A lot of people do this in a day, but not with a heavy backpack. Depending on your ability you may be able to do it with only one night camping.

KDT

EarlyBird
08-10-2009, 10:28 PM
thanks for the great trip advice.i'm thinking i might scout this one out as you recommended.
i'm going to tally up the miles and see what i have to work with.

it's funny you mentioned hiking direction because i have always found i hike in the wrong/hardest direction.:D

is this trip accessible by way of the wmnf hiker shuttle?

KD Talbot
08-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah. It's actually the AMC shuttle. Check in at Pinkham Notch and you can get a schedule.

KDT

EarlyBird
08-10-2009, 11:52 PM
you recommend starting out on the stony brook trail?

i think i would do it in 3 full days of hiking and 2 nights so i can take my time and take lots of pictures....
i hear the wildcat ridge trail is steep and the water crossing by glen ellis falls can be dangerous....was going to aim for lost pond trail...

i like hiking on the AT mainly because it is well traveled.especially if your hiking alone.

this sounds like a good hike...i will definitly let you know how it turns out.

i added up and this is what i came up with...

4.5=stony brook trail-->imp campsite
7.4=imp campsite-->carter notch hut
5.9=carter notch--->pinkham notch

17.8 total miles

mtruman
08-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a good route. It was one of our potential ones for last month. Lost Pond trail is probably your best option considering how high the water has been this summer. Remember that there is no camping within 1/4 mile of any of the huts so if you're planning on staying at Carter you should make a reservation. If you want to camp the hut croo should be able to give you some suggestions for legal sites. I believe that there are legal tent sites near the intersection of the Wildcat Ridge trail and the 19 Mile Brook trail (which was what we planned to use).

KD Talbot
08-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Actually I was thinking you would start at Rattle River Trail, the AT on Rte.2.

At the end on the Wildcats you can skip crossing any water and the steep, rocky descent by descending the Polecat Trail, as I said before. This still gets you the Wildcat E summit and it still counts.

KDT

EarlyBird
08-11-2009, 10:13 AM
i saw rattle river too and was thinking after reading the hiker shuttle schedule that it might be easier to catch it at the Gorham Irving gas station wherever that is but it looks close to the AT trailhead.

have you done this hike?
i always enjoy reading your trip reports and viewing your photos off your website.

thanks again.

KD Talbot
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I've done all of this section of the AT multiple times, just not all at once. The Irving Station is not close to Rattle River, it is several miles north. What you need to do is park at Wildcat or Pinkham Notch and take the shuttle from there to the Rattle River Trailhead so that your car is waiting at the end of the line.

KDT