PDA

View Full Version : Perseid Meteor Shower pictures

Brad
08-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Did anyone get good conditions for taking pictures of the meteor shower last night? I went out early to find the stars were out and it was looking good. But, as it got to 10PM the clouds came in - a bit of fog - and a significant wind shift. So, I took a few pictures and went to bed. Maybe tonight will be better.

Here is one of town 2 miles away up the lake at 10PM.

http://images52.fotki.com/v1554/photos/5/8235/7520107/IMG_1507a-vi.jpg

Snow Miser
08-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Skies were too cloudy down here around Philadelphia. I went out a few times throughout the night, but could not see anything. Hope someone had clear skies and can tell us if they saw double the usual number.

Brad
08-12-2009, 07:49 AM
It sounds like Ryan had a good view. Being shift change day, we may have to wait a bit for his pictures.

Snow Miser
08-12-2009, 10:16 AM
It sounds like Ryan had a good view. Being shift change day, we may have to wait a bit for his pictures.

I will be waiting patiently to see if he was able to take any and post them here.

Brad
08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I will be waiting patiently to see if he was able to take any and post them here.
I guess i am not so patient. But, I will have to wait.

KathyC
08-12-2009, 07:29 PM
I woke up at 4, it was cloudy here in North Jersey.:(

Brad
08-12-2009, 07:30 PM
I guess i am not so patient. But, I will have to wait.
I have heard that Ryan watched the meteor shower and did not think to take pictures!

Snow Miser
08-12-2009, 08:13 PM
I have heard that Ryan watched the meteor shower and did not think to take pictures!

Sometimes I suppose it's nice to just sit back and watch the show instead of having to take pictures. If it's clear where you are tonight, I have read that the show could be better than last night, August 11th, according to this statement from SpaceWeather.com.

If it's dark where you live, go outside and look for meteors. Earth is still inside the debris stream of Comet Swift-Tuttle and, as a result, the Perseid meteor shower is still active. Indeed, the show could be better tonight, Aug. 12th, than it was last night, Aug. 11th, when Jimmy Westlake caught this fireball flying over Steamboat Springs, Colorado:

This is one of two Perseid fireballs that fell during a spike in activity between 1:30 and 2:30 o'clock MDT on August 12, 2009," says Westlake.

Brad
08-12-2009, 08:16 PM
What direction was he looking to get that picture? :-)

Snow Miser
08-12-2009, 08:22 PM
What direction was he looking to get that picture? :-)

Brad, not quite sure. The article didn't say, but I believe most radiate from the NE.

Knapper
08-12-2009, 10:35 PM
If we clear and the show is still going on, I will try again tonight...

KathyC
08-13-2009, 04:59 AM
It's still cloudy here....:mad:

Knapper
08-13-2009, 06:29 AM
About 90% of NH was under clouds last night as there was a strong marine push inland. The higher summits were clear with almost a total undercast. I saw a few shooting stars but two things were working against me: high clouds and a bright moon. That in addition to having my camera one way then have one the opposite direction fall. I will continue to try. Although it's all downhill from here after the peak of the night of the 12/13th but there will still be a fair amount to see/try with until roughly next weds.

KD Talbot
08-13-2009, 09:26 AM
It's not just cloudy, it's socked in here in Kingston! :mad: This seems to be the case just about every year.

I do however have a vivid recollection of an incredible meteor shower during the Perseids in the late 60's. We were at my uncle's farm in Illinois. I forget exactly how old I was, maybe 10. The whole family was out around midnight watching the sky. If you've ever been to Illinois you know there's a lot of sky to watch. Very flat country.

Anyway, we were seeing several a minute. Some were very long streaks. Some were incredibly bright, and some even produced colors like fireworks. It was an awesome spectacle. As a child I really thought the stars were falling!

Well, we can try again when the Leonids drop by in a few months!

KDT

Snow Miser
08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
It's been cloudy and hazy here in the Philly area for the last I don't know how many nights, and it will be into the weekend:( The show is a washout this year. It's just a bad time of year, at least in this part of the country. Not very many clear nights during the summer. Can someone please ask Mother Nature to reschedule the show for the winter or something:D

Charlie
08-13-2009, 06:53 PM
looks like we might get to see some tonight

Snow Miser
08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Charlie, that's cool. I know you don't live that far from me, and I see alot of blue sky outside right now. I hope the clouds stay away.:)

Charlie
08-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Charlie, that's cool. I know you don't live that far from me, and I see alot of blue sky outside right now. I hope the clouds stay away.:)

i tell you what
i will hold them up if they start coming in so at least one of us will see them tonight

Snow Miser
08-13-2009, 07:58 PM
i tell you what
i will hold them up if they start coming in so at least one of us will see them tonight

That would be good. They usually come over your area first as they head east towards here. I just hope they stay away so we can all see them.

Brad
08-14-2009, 08:30 PM
I got some pictures, but none were a real bright streak.

http://images49.fotki.com/v1555/photos/5/8235/7851293/IMG_1541m-vi.jpg

Some are posted at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/maine/summer/2009-08-13-perseid/

KD Talbot
08-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Very nice shot, Brad!

Last night I got home around 11pm and when I looked up much to my astonishment I could see the Milky Way. It is very rare that in summer we get a night clear enough here to see this. I went out to the dock and watched for awhile but saw no meteors.

That's alright, the Milky Way was enough!

KDT

CHRIS
08-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Great shots Brad What kind of exposure did you use? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks for sharing.

faegilr
08-14-2009, 11:08 PM
I think there was an edutrip going on tonight...maybe the people on that will have gotten photos?

Its clear here now, but it was cloudy for the last two days. I don't think anyone got anything of significance.

Brad
08-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Great shots Brad What kind of exposure did you use? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks for sharing.
Chris,

I varied the settings a bit depending on how much light there was. The shortest exposure was 30 seconds at f/2.8. The normal length was 40 seconds or 1 minute at f/2.8. Then I adjusted the ISO to make it work. I took a 40 second shot - looked at the result - minor adjustment - started the next 40 second shot right away. Did this constantly for an hour or more. I was not looking for spinning stars, just the meteors moving.

Here is an example EXIF

Exif Image Details

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS Rebel T1i
Width: 1000 pixels
Height: 667 pixels
Focal Length: 16.0 mm
F-Number: F/2.8
Exposure Time: 31 sec.
Metering Mode: Multi-segment
Exposure Program: Manual
ISO Speed: 1600

I was using the wide angle lens. And I did get ISO up to 400 and 800 for a bit.

Snow Miser
08-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Nice shots Brad! They look really good. The skies down here were clear the last couple of nights, but didn't see anything. Your pictures make up for it. Thanks for sharing.