PDA

View Full Version : OK, chillin'. Gather round!

KD Talbot
08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
My hero, Mats, is givin' it another go this year. He's done with chemo and all the joys of a bout with cancer, (and a bum knee) and is making another attempt at the NH 48 Direttissima. This year his partner is MEB. They plan on starting at Mount Cabot tomorrow.

For those of you who may wonder what this is, the NH 48 Direttissima involves hiking all 48 NH 4000 foot mountains continuously, from point a to point b and all the distance in between regardless of obstacles. To do this involves hiking a lot of smaller mountains as well as long distances between trailheads. If that weren't enough, they will do this without any caches along the way. They will carry 11 days worth of food with them as well as the days supply of water, refilling as necessary. As the days go by the load will become lighter, but Mats will start with over 66#'s and MEB over 50! The distance is roughly 240 miles and the elevation gain is somewhere around 87,000'.

If you would like to follow their progress go here tomorrow:

http://www.ecomalley.com/mats/

If you would like more info there is a thread on VFTT:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31679

KDT

Brad
08-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I will be there with them - all the way. I am sure my support will help them greatly - from my desk chair in front of my computer. Go Mats!

Brad
08-12-2009, 07:28 PM
There has to be a way to make this work so we can follow along and not give his ID and password out.

h2oeco
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
There has to be a way to make this work so we can follow along and not give his ID and password out.
It looks like it is possible for one to embed a map in a webpage. This would allow "public" access to location info, without disclosing his username and password.

Kevin - I am happy to do this if Mats doesn't have the ability. You can reply here or PM to let me know.

Once this is done, I can remove his username/password from your original post.

Ed

KD Talbot
08-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I actually think Mats could care less, but if you could do this it would be great! Thanks Ed!

It's quite an adventure and they are looking to break the record time for doing this. Mats did it a couple of years ago. I know a woman who did it in 9 days 23 hrs and 13 minutes in March of '06, I'm not sure what the official record is. There probably is no official record.

I think I am going to sit at home and drink a beer for every mile they do over the course of the next however many days and set my own record! :D

KDT

Snow Miser
08-12-2009, 08:32 PM
This is an incredible challenge. I will be following. GO Mats and MEB!

Kevin, you're gonna need alot of beer:D

Charlie
08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
I think I am going to sit at home and drink a beer for every mile they do over the course of the next however many days and set my own record! :D

KDT

This is an incredible challenge. I will be following. GO Mats and MEB!

Kevin, you're gonna need alot of beer:D

Keven i think you can break your own record :eek:

Tim&Val
08-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I'll be watching and cheering them on!

This is very cool - I can see them on Rt 115 just north of Twin Mtn right now... going 50mph.

h2oeco
08-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I actually think Mats could care less, but if you could do this it would be great! Thanks Ed!

It's quite an adventure and they are looking to break the record time for doing this. Mats did it a couple of years ago. I know a woman who did it in 9 days 23 hrs and 13 minutes in March of '06, I'm not sure what the official record is. There probably is no official record.

KDT

You can use this link to track Mats without logging into his account:

http://www.ecomalley.com/mats/

mtruman
08-13-2009, 07:36 AM
This is simply incredible. Hope the iPhone updates work so that we can follow him (nothing since 8:00 last night). I'll certainly be rooting for him all the way!

KD Talbot
08-13-2009, 09:09 AM
The last weigh in for Mats pack was 70.8#s. I think he has Sage and Alex in there. :)

KDT

Jimmy Legs and Little d
08-13-2009, 10:36 AM
I think he has Sage and Alex in there. :)

KDT

Kevin,

Way to funny:D Have you been hanging around Rocket21 again?

Good luck to Mats and MEB!

Little D:)

Toots
08-13-2009, 07:31 PM
24 miles a day for 10 days straight in the Whites is awesome!!!

.... but with a 70lb pack? :eek:

Good Luck!!! This is hardcore!!

KD Talbot
08-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Mats would do this with no fanfare at all if his friends would let him. He is the most modest hiker I think I know.

KDT

Snow Miser
08-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Is there a way for the map we are checking to keep a highlighted trail of where they have hiked?

KD Talbot
08-17-2009, 09:04 PM
M&M did Isolation, Washington, Monroe, Ike, Pierce and Jackson today and are turning in for some well deserved rest at the Highland Center tonight.

In answer to Snowmiser's query, I think probably not since they are not keeping the cellphone turned on all the time, just checking in at times.

KDT

mtruman
08-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Ed's page only shows the most recent location but if you go to the main site (in the VFTT link) you can see the whole route. Here it is as of last night. You have to be sure to select a high enough value in the "Trail" option to see all the points.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_KuEV5mt1_ak/SoqRLFthnWI/AAAAAAAAQjo/zCP4pTtFiPI/Mats8-17a.jpg

Snow Miser
08-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Ed's page only shows the most recent location but if you go to the main site (in the VFTT link) you can see the whole route. Here it is as of last night. You have to be sure to select a high enough value in the "Trail" option to see all the points.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_KuEV5mt1_ak/SoqRLFthnWI/AAAAAAAAQjo/zCP4pTtFiPI/Mats8-17a.jpg

Thanks Mark! It's nice to see the highlighted path from the beginning of their hike.

mtruman
08-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Looks like they were on Osceola at 10:00 this morning. No points sent since.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_KuEV5mt1_ak/So3PZ6oZGPI/AAAAAAAAQn8/vBsBdyaam10/mats8-20full.jpg

KD Talbot
08-20-2009, 06:43 PM
It's down to just Mats. Poor MEB had to drop out. Her feet were bloody stumps. ;) No, not really, but they were too bad to go on. Valiant effort MEB!

Go Mats!

As someone pointed out in another forum, it's one thing to carry a lot of weight. It's another thing to move fast. But to do both, day after day over 240 miles and thousands of vertical feet is just unbelievable!

KDT

KD Talbot
08-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Meb is back on the trail with Mats. They were at Mt. Hale around 2pm. Hopefully they made it to shelter before the intense storms hit the mountains. A very intense front just moved through here. It hit the mountains earlier. If it was anything like what we got it must have been wild in the mountains!

KDT

Snow Miser
08-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I was watching the map today at work and it looked like they were really covering some ground. More so than the previous couple of days.

mtruman
08-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Meb is back on the trail with Mats. They were at Mt. Hale around 2pm. Hopefully they made it to shelter before the intense storms hit the mountains. A very intense front just moved through here. It hit the mountains earlier. If it was anything like what we got it must have been wild in the mountains!

KDT

Their last point on the map showed them just west of South Twin at about 6pm. They definitely had a long day today (but then they have every day)

KD Talbot
08-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Yep, they made it to Galehead Hut for the night. Got soaked but are OK. 10 mountains to go!

KDT

KD Talbot
08-23-2009, 08:10 PM
They rolled into Lafayette CG this morning about 2:45 am. They're done. Skipped the last four, Cannon, North and South Kinsman and the Moose. Feet raw they decided to go for a big breakfast and call it a hike.

Unbelievable hike whether it was 44 or 48. Terrible, humid conditions. Super-human effort! Hats off!

KDT

Tar Heel
08-23-2009, 10:11 PM
congrats guys. that was amazing. 44 in a row like that is one diesel effort

Toots
08-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Does anybody have a pack list for their hike? Im just curious about the contents totaling 70+ lbs.

KD Talbot
08-25-2009, 07:48 PM
That would include food, clothes and gear fro 10 days. You can read about it all here:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31679

Mats has posted a day to day account.

KDT

Toots
08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks! I have been following along over there too. That's a lot of lbs for a 10 day summer trek. Id love to see specifics.

mtruman
08-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Simply amazing. I was thinking about them multiple times while we were away and wishing I could follow the rest of the trip. 44 or 48 - makes no difference - this was one incredible effort. Way to go!!!!