PDA

View Full Version : Osceola and east Osceola

Addicted
08-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Did this hike yesterday (based on advice I got a couple months ago on 'easier' summits) and it was great! Well, Osceola was great. The hike over and back to East Osceola was tough. It totally wiped us out! Anyway, I have a question. Does anyone know what the non descript summit marked with a random cairn is that you pass on the way over to East Osceola, just above the 'chimney'? I thought it was weird that there was a cairn there, till I realized that it was some kind of peak. We had a little depth perception problem believing that the big summit in front of us was East Osceola, since it looked way more than a mile away, and we were sure we were doing this little point in between. So, I'm wondering if that little summit has a name?? Anyone??

JimS
08-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Cant' help you on your question...but congrats on a great hike!

mahony
08-17-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't remember a cairn before the chimney...you sure you did Osceola first and then East Osceola...this picture is the cairn on East Osceola....do you have a picture of what you saw?

Addicted
08-18-2009, 08:48 AM
We definatley did Osceola first, you know, the one with the open summit. Then we did the mile hike over and back to E. Osceola. I remember the random cairn vividly, since my friend was convinced that that was the summit of E. Osceola and we had gone too far. It was just sitting there off the trail in a weird spot. No trail junction or anything. From the summit of Osceola, if you look to the left (east?) you see a pointed peak, then the ridge that leads over to E. Osceola. It might just be part of Osceola. I have pics, but can't quite figure out how to post them. I do not have a picture of the mystery cairn though. We met people at the summit of E. Osceola and took pics on the cairn though.