PDA

View Full Version : adirondack loj

smithtim
08-17-2009, 06:39 PM
so I'm planning my winter climbing trip and have bought my flights to LGA... of course for the main part of the trip I'm planning a few summits up in the beautiful whites as that is where my heart it ( definitely flume slide again, then probably Lafayette and Lion's head rock for a few nice day trip/climbs)

But I've got a few extra days to play with this year and I'm thinking of trying a little bit in the adirondacks. I was thinking about doing mt marcy ( or at least upto the ridge veiwpoint at mile 5.4 as 7 miles x 2 is quite a bit for one day); I've been looking at this adirondack loj (lodge) that is apparently right at the trail head and I was curious to see if any of you could share and advice on the lodge and/or trail

Thank you in advance & best regards, Tim

pmartin462
09-03-2009, 09:51 AM
I have never stayed in the loj, but I have done a lot of hiking in the Mt. Marcy area. You should know that if you intend on parking at the loj, there is a fee and it can get filled up on long weekends. The Hiking is beautiful, and I find Mt. Marcy easy compared to the Whites, I would suggest that you try to hike Avalance pass, and Lake Colden, either on the way in or out of Marcy. It is a beautiful area, and I try to hike it every time I am up that way. Marcy from the loj is a full days hike. If you intend on hiking in and camping BRING A BEAR CANISTER. Before they were required and friend and myself had all of our food eaten by a bear, and we are both experience hikers and knew how to properly hang the food. The last time I stayed at Lake Colden, we could hear the other campers for hours scaring away the bears in the evening and early morning.

Hope you have a great trip!

Peter
Gloucester, MA

pmartin462
09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello again,
I just realized that you are doing this in the winter (its my ADHD kicking in). Same information applies, except no bears in the winter. I have never gone to the top of Marcy in the Winter, but have done hiking in area in winter. I would have to say that Marcy would be tough to get to the top of from the loj in the winter. It is an all day hike in the summer. Also, I don't know if this was just chance, but the times that I have been hiking in the ADKs in the winter have been bitter cold compared to my winter trips in the Whites.

Peter
Gloucester, MA