PDA

View Full Version : Aug 29 Moosilauke hike, our NH48 finish



TrishandAlex
08-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi fellow hikers!

My 6 year old daughter and I will be finishing the NH Four Thousand Footers on August 29 (Sat), on Moosilauke.

We welcome anyone who wants to join us or meet us at the top. We're going up Gorge Brook Trail and our summit ETA is 1pm.

mtruman
08-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Congrats to you guys on finishing the 48 (soon)! Would love to be there to celebrate the finish with you but it's unfortunately the day we're returning from Acadia. Too bad since we plan to get in the Moose ourselves sometime this Fall. That would have been a good day... Good luck with your final two!!!

CHRIS
08-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Best of luck Trish and Alex. I wish I could be there to see you guys complete your journey.You guys are amazing. Have fun and be safe. I will be waiting pariently for your report and pics.

Snow Miser
08-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Congratulations and best of luck on your last of the 48. I hope you have a perfect weather day. Will be looking forward to reading your TR and seeing some photos.

TrishandAlex
08-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks, guys! Mark, have a great time in Acadia!

Debi
08-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Trish, I'm hoping to be up there with my son (he's 10) at the same time if scheduling allows. We'll be sure to say Hi if we see you. - debi

Brad
08-19-2009, 05:11 AM
Bring a web camera and we will go along with you!

Have a great day.

TrishandAlex
08-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Debi, great! I hope to see you and your son out there.

Brad, if I had a web camera I would definitely bring it. :)

Tar Heel
08-21-2009, 07:02 PM
congrats and good luck trish and alex. wish i could be there, that's suppose to be a nh weekend for me but i am coaching high school soccer this year and that's tryouts. i will have to tell my 1st graders all about your adventures :D

CHRIS
08-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't know if you have been watching the weather channel but the tropical storm out in the ocean may be coming our way for Saturday. They say it may be a catogory 1 by then. Just figurd I would give you a heads up even thou I am sure you have been watching. If you are still on have a great hike and be safe to all of you.

TrishandAlex
08-27-2009, 06:56 AM
THanks, Chris. Hopefully, the rain will stay away. We will do the hike even if there's rain and wind (just not lightning).

TrishandAlex
08-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Our finish has now been changed to Sunday, the 30th. Other details remain the same.

We just didn't feel like getting struck by lightning and/or being blown off the mountain on Sat....

Snow Miser
08-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Probably the better of the two days. It looks like Danny will be over Nova Scotia by Sunday morning. Good luck on your last one!

TrishandAlex
08-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Hi folks,

Tomorrow's Upper Summit forecast calls for chilly temps and potentially high winds. It will be a cloudy day, but at least there probably won't be any rain.

The following isn't directed at anyone in particular -- it's a general statement because I know at least four families with young children who were thinking of hiking with us --

Those who were planning on coming and bringing their children -- please bring all necessary layers (including wool hats, layers for hands, etc.) and if the winds are indeed high, please be okay with stopping at treeline if necessary. Alex and I will go forward with facemask, balaclava, goggles, and all winter layers. I may tether the two of us together. Who knows, we might even need to crawl a good part of the way once we're in the wind. We find this kind of fun, but I doubt the novice kid hiker would enjoy the experience. Also, I don't want any accidents happening tomorrow, or anyone getting hypothermia. So once we get to treeline, we'll each have to make our own assessments and do what's best for our own kids. Also, please know that if it's really windy, my youngest will stay below treeline with her father, so you'll have company if you need to wait.

Please everyone, lets make sure any and all kids stay safe, warm and happy.

If it's too windy to linger at the summit, then we will tag it, and go back down Gorge Brook and wait for other hikers just below treeline.

Our ETA is still 1pm. Realistically, we could get there anywhere between noon and 1:30. If we're not at the summit and it's terribly windy, please come down Gorge Brook, we'll try to wait immediately below treeline (wherever we're out of the wind).

We'll stay on the summit or out of the wind on Gorge Brook until 2pm, then we'll head back down.

We'll wait at the Lodge until 5, then head over to MadRiver's, where we'll stay until 8pm.

Looking forward to this!

mtruman
08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Still wish we could make it. Looks like a good decision putting it off till tomorrow. We'll be looking North and thinking about you guys at 1:00 tomorrow!