PDA

View Full Version : No helicopter rescue for hiker with thumb injury

mtruman
08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
This story has to be read to be believed. Be sure to read on past the "main event" to some of the stories of past rescue requests at the end.

http://theunionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=No%20helicopter%20rescue%20f or%20hiker%20with%20thumb%20injury&articleId=eb0d7912-ba05-4d08-b64e-429f26b4a560

Now in this case it seems like calling for a helicopter rescue because of an injured thumb is perfectly reasonable. Heck, you certainly can't hitchhike down the mountain with an injured thumb, right? :rolleyes:

CHRIS
08-18-2009, 01:57 PM
That guy should have been charged a stupid charge for even thinking of calling for a helicopter .

JimS
08-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Not that I am in ANY way supporting this wimp...but I can put myself in his state of mind.

Ice gulch is beyond rough. Some of the roughest trail in the whites. Definately need your hands. So you're from Texas...not used to damp, glacially strewn boulder trails. I bet he didn't realize what he was getting into, got partway into the gulch, hit his thumb...thought he'd never get out alive! Panics...calls for help...doesn't even realize what he's really asking for...

Seriously though...dude's gotta dig deep...people have gotten out of far far worst with far far less!

h2oeco
08-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Jim, you do realize that this means that you can't call for a helicopter if you injure your shutter finger while hiking, right?? ;-)

Brad
08-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Jim, you do realize that this means that you can't call for a helicopter if you injure your shutter finger while hiking, right?? ;-)
But it is okay to air lift the camera out for repairs.

Bill O
08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
That guy summitted Mount Everest after breaking his arm on the ascent

KD Talbot
08-18-2009, 10:38 PM
A few years back a guy impaled himself with his ice ax after a slide on Left Gully. He walked out with the ax sticking through his torso.

KDT

Charlie
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
i like the reply's
Rescue should always be available in these circumstances. Just give your credit card number, expiration date, and security code number.

As soon as the card issuer approves the transaction, a helicopter should be dispatched immediately.

Otherwise, carry yourself down on your own two feet.
- Kevin, Lancaster

Acts more like a Yankee than a Texan to me. Probably another carpetbagger who moved down to be where the jobs are.
- Joe, Midland, TX

TrishandAlex
08-19-2009, 10:41 PM
A few years back a guy impaled himself with his ice ax after a slide on Left Gully. He walked out with the ax sticking through his torso.

KDT

Eeeeeeww!! :eek:

(but admirably hardcore)

brosati
08-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Brad,
You are so right! You have got to save that camera!
Betsy

Brad
08-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Brad,
You are so right! You have got to save that camera!
Betsy
Betsy, I see you are from North Andover. My neighbors live there and that is prime Bradstreet territory from the 1600's.

brosati
08-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Thats cool! It seems like everywhere you go someone knows someone... Small world stuff...

Anna LeBlanc
08-25-2009, 07:58 AM
You're absolutely right about someone knowing you wherever you go.My husband and I were on the summit of Mt Lafayette when he heard someone yelling out his name.