PDA

View Full Version : Great Gully to Adams

krummholz
08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi there, fellow Obs people--

I did a very enjoyable hike yesterday up to Mt. Adams via the Great Gully, which is a trail that diverges from the King Ravine trail a little below the steep part of the headwall. And like the upper King Ravine trail, it is very steep (goes from 3800 to 5100 in about a half mile), though it has a different style to it. Both are fun, but in different ways--the upper KR is all rubble and rock, where as the GG is a beautiful combination of plant life (a stream runs down the gully) and boulder scrambles. You can see some pictures at the following link. I do know how to post pictures on this forum (I've even done it a few times), but it involves quite a bit of resizing and some extra work, so bear with me for being lazy and just giving the link here:

http://streamsandforests.wordpress.com/2009/08/26/the-great-gully-to-the-summit-of-adams/

KD Talbot
08-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Great pics as well! Oddly enough I have never ventured into King Ravine. I've been meaning to for years, just never did. I've walked its circumference on other trails. Now I know I'm going!

Oh yeah! Happy, B-day!

KDT

FisherCat
08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Yea, great TR, those trails out of Randolph really make you work for them. Well done!

Snow Miser
08-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Very nice photos and TR. Enjoyed reading it. Would like to do that route someday. Thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday!:)

Bill O
08-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Very nice. I've never seen photos of King Ravine. I really want to make it up there.

Did you see the ice caves or where the ice caves should be?

krummholz
08-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I didn't see the ice itself, but I could feel the cold air coming out of a few of the caves, which was kind of neat. I think you get closer to the ice if you take the "Subway" route instead of the "Elevated" route through the boulderfield at the base of the ravine, which is what I did. There must be an ice cave near the lower Great Gully trail, because I definitely felt a blast of cold air all of a sudden coming seemingly out of some rocks. But it's not mentioned in the WMG.

Brad
08-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Jenny, wonderful pictures. Thanks!

mtruman
08-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Wow - what a beautiful hike! Looks like King Ravine is now on our list too. Thanks for sharing an "uncommon" trip with us.