PDA

View Full Version : Eisenhower/Monroe

Addicted
08-27-2009, 10:40 AM
We were planning on hiking Eisenhower for the 'flags on the 48' in Sept. Now our plan has changed a little bit and we would like to do Eisenhower and Monroe. Some of the crew is not as excited about the 'Monroe' part of the trip, they are afraid of rocks, so my question is this: If we are going up Edmunds Path to Eisenhower, then over to Monroe and back down the Amminoosic (sp?), how close are the trailheads at the bottom. If we park in one spot, can we get back to it from either end if half of us turn around and only do Eisenhower up and back?

AndyM
08-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Using a map measurement gauge on the AMC map, it looks like the walking distance between the 2 trailheads is about 2 miles. The map shows the roads connecting, but I have not been on Mt Clinton Rd where the Edmands Path trailhead is located.

CHRIS
08-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I have parked at Mt Clinton Rd. and did Pierce and I have also done the Ammo. trail and there is quite a bit to walk between the two parking areas. I have not measured but off the top of my head I would say 3-4 miles maybe. You would be better if you could spot a car at the Ammo. trail parking lot or Cog RR. I know I would not want to walk that far after a hike. I am sure there is someone here that knows better than me exactly how far it is.

sharky
08-27-2009, 11:57 AM
What is supposed to be so bad about the trail over top of Monroe? I'm curious as I'm due up there in a few short weeks.

Addicted
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys. I looked at the map last night, and it does look like about 2 miles. I've been to the parking lot on Mt Clinton Rd for Edmunds Path, but was exhausted on the way back and don't remember how far back to the Cog Base Rd it was. But yeah, don't think I wanna walk an extra 2 miles after that trek.

Sharky, I don't think the top of Monroe will be a huge challenge to anyone that hikes regularly, but my friend broke an elbow falling down and gets skittish around rocks. She strongly disliked the top of Mt washington and isn't looking forward to the "big rocks" again! I don't think it's the trail's fault : )

Gorque
08-29-2009, 07:05 AM
A few years back, I did the same hike in reverse, using the parking lot for the Ammo trail to Monroe, Pierce and then down the Edmunds Path. If you/re walking at a brisk pace, it'll add on about another hour on.

mtruman
08-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Can't imagine why the route over Monroe would be a concern. Very tame. Anyone who doesn't want to go over Monroe for some reason can simply go around though and meet at the other side...

Tim&Val
08-29-2009, 09:53 PM
If the summitting of Monroe is the concern, then as Mark mentioned, the hike *around* the summit is gorgeous. It's called Monroe Flats and has wonderful views. Completely level and no rocks. If the concern is coming down the Ammo trail, then I can understand somewhat. It's a tougher trail to descend than Edmands Path, but certainly do-able if you're careful and take your time.

p.s. the couple miles of road walking will seem like a piece of cake by the time you get off the trail :p

Valerie

Addicted
09-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice. I didn't even think about going around (especially since it needs to 'count' for my 48) but may consider it on the way down if that's doable. I think we'll be fine, and my friend is flying out the next day and is not willing to put in the time to add Monroe. She'll go down Edmunds with a friend, and I'll go down MOnroe with another. Win win.