PDA

View Full Version : Evening temps @ Lake of the Cloud week of Sept 7th

BlueDog
08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Can anyone give me a general idea of what the temps will be like up at Lake of the Cloud during the week of the Sept 7-11? Might be the first time staying at the hut, and also bringing my dad with me for his first hike up the mtn, so I want to be sure he packs appropriately as well.

mtruman
08-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Can anyone give me a general idea of what the temps will be like up at Lake of the Cloud during the week of the Sept 7-11? Might be the first time staying at the hut, and also bringing my dad with me for his first hike up the mtn, so I want to be sure he packs appropriately as well.

Not sure about the temps, but the good thing about the huts are that you get two heavy wool blankets with your bunk so for anything outside of winter a fairly light sleeping bag will still work.

BlueDog
08-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Ah! Yeah, forgot about the blankets. Will the days be good kilt weather is the most important question! :)

Snow Miser
08-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Ah! Yeah, forgot about the blankets. Will the days be good kilt weather is the most important question! :)

Any day on the Rock Pile in September might be cold weather for kilts.:eek: Have a great hike with your Dad. Especially if it's his first time up.

Knapper
08-31-2009, 05:48 PM
I can't give you the Lakes data but you can check what the high/low/average temperatures are for the summit for the past four years for those dates by looking at our WS Form F-6 (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/f6/). Just click on Sept for each year and then it looks like an excel spreadsheet of dates on the left and column descriptions across the top. Just figure Lakes will be a few degrees wamer or cooler at times. Sept is the month we usually get our first inch of snow on the peak and we have already hit freezing a few times this month. So it's that time of year again folks that you have to pack in layers because it might be summer-esque one day and full on fall the next.

JimS
08-31-2009, 06:48 PM
There were a few years in a row that I stayed with the croo the day after the hut closed. Always chilly on the mountain that time of year. A few times we saw ice, most times were in the 30s or 20s.

I guess it could be 40s, but still, not summer sleeping bag weather...

mtruman
08-31-2009, 08:15 PM
There were a few years in a row that I stayed with the croo the day after the hut closed. Always chilly on the mountain that time of year. A few times we saw ice, most times were in the 30s or 20s.

I guess it could be 40s, but still, not summer sleeping bag weather...

Sounds like both blankets will be in order.:) Not sure about the kilt :eek:

Bill O
08-31-2009, 09:18 PM
That's kind of dream range, but the easiest way is to get a 10/14 day forecast on accuweather or weather.com for a nearby town. Compare that to the average conditions for that location and extrapolate up the mountain. If the valley is ten degrees below normal, assume the summit will be ten degrees below normal.

rockin rex
09-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Hey Blue Dog. Have fun with your dad up at L.O.C. Weather wise you never know what Sept. will throw at you. I was married on the summit on Sept 26 and I hiked up to my wedding. It was so warm that I hiked the whole way shirtless. The next day it was around 32 degrees on the summit. Plan on it being cold and if it turns out to be warm as it did for me ENJOY and wear the kilt. Sept is when the first snow normally falls on the rock pile.