PDA

View Full Version : Great Gulf Camping

phybere
09-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Hello all
Planning a trip this weekend to the presidential range, I'm looking to set up base camp for 3 nights somewhere along the great gulf trail to the north of mt washington.

Is there any good source of water in this area? I'd like to avoid packing in a full supply of water if possible. If I do need to pack it in, any suggestions for how much water? I'm estimating 6 liters for about 3 days of hiking.

As far I've read there are a number of established campsites along this trail, and there are no restrictions other than camping 200ft from the trail/a water source along the trail (no FPA's?) I also haven't seen anything disallowing campfires. I'm yet to find any campsites on a map, looking to pick something up at pinham notch, unless someone has an onlie resource for this.

Any advice would be appreciated

claaky23
09-04-2009, 10:30 PM
The Great gulf is beautiful and there is water everywhere. Most of the trail is running along the West Branch of the Peabody river so that won't be an issue.

I know there are a couple of primitive tentsites on the Wamsutta trail, also there are a few earlier on in the Gulf within the first few miles. I did the hike in June and I seem to remember one being near the junction of the Wamsutta trail and the Great Gulf trail, as well as one further in, buit I may be mistaken. Other than the primitive tentsites you will not be able to find a place to set up camp. The Great Gulf is very very dense wilderness.

Other posters on this site are more privy to the rules and regulations and I guarantee that they will post them.

rockin rex
09-05-2009, 09:24 AM
One of my favorite places to stay and hike is the Great Gulf. Base camping in the Great Gulf gives you so many options. On one end you have Mount Washinton and the other Madison. The trails out of the Great Gulf are steep and rugged. As far as camping there is a set camp site on the Osgood trail but I don't find this area works as well for a base camp. I like being more in the middle of the Gulf so I, most of the time, set my site up by the six husbands trail. The one thing about camping in the Great Gulf is that the rules are STRICTLY enforced!! You must be at least 200 feet off the trail to set up your site. If your are closer than that you will get a ticket. There is also no camping above the Spinx trail. This means no camping at Spaulding Lake. The good thing about camping near six husbands is that at night with not much effort you can be in a spot to watch the incredible sunset. I have seen some incredible sunsets just up the six husbands / Buttress split. One other important thing when base camping in the Gulf. Make sure that you take enough warm clothes in your day pack with you. There can be a great change of weather between the foor of the Gulf and the ridge. Enjoy your 3 days in the Gulf.

phybere
09-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all the info, unfortunately I left friday morning so I didn't see it until now!

I did end up camping at the six husbands trail, was a good place for base camp. Summited washington, monroe, and clay on saturday and jefferson and adams sunday. The six husbands trail was my favorite, is there anything else like it in the area?

I bought a water filter before I set out, and as you said there was plenty of water to be found, quite a change from the catskills where I'm used to hiking.

I was disappointed to see that no campfires are allowed in the gulf... soups and oatmeal were on the menu, and would have tasted much better warm.