PDA

View Full Version : First MW Climb

EDoubleu
09-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi,
This is my first post here and was looking for some suggestions. On 9/11/09, myself and 3 others will be setting out to reach the summit. We have reservations at the Lake of the Clouds hut for that night too. Our plan all along has been to head up Jewel/Gulfside Tr. I know it's never good to look more than 5 minutes ahead for an accurate weather report here in New England, but the long range forecast does have rain. I know Jewel is very exposed to weather, so I'm trying to get a better understanding for a backup plan or alternate route. Would heading up Ammonoosuc Ravine be any better? I've read that can be tough when wet.
I'm open to any and all suggestions

Thanks

JimS
09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Hi, and welcome...glad you are looking forward to, and planning for the hike.

Two thinks I can preface with:
1) Mount Washington is IMPOSSIBLE to predict more than 2 days in advance.
2) Even if the surrounding area is forecast for clear the day of your hike...bring your raingear.

The Jewel Trail is perhaps a bit more exposed than other trails, but any trail is going to have atleast a mile or two above treeline, so I don't think exposure is the issue. Footing can be, and as you mentioned, the ammo can be slick. The usual route I like is up the ammo and down the Jewel, which is much more mellow.

I wouldn't necessarily alter plans unless it looks real bad a day before. But have raingear with you. Head to toe. And warm clothes. September is hypothermia month on the mountain, because the weather is usually cool and damp, but not otherwise dangerous. Plan for that...and you'll have a great day!

Lastly...if you are outside your comfort, don't be afraid to turn around. Many of the accidents on the mountain are caused by people thinking that safety is at the top. They inevitably push themselves into a rapidly deteriorating situation and don't make it. The mountain will be there, waiting for you on a better day, or with more experience.

Brad
09-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Going up Ammo is a good option. Just as you break out of the trees you are at the back side of the hut. Go in - dry off - drop your packs. Then if the weather is good go up Monroe for the views. The next morning head over to MW summit - then down the Jewell. That is a great route and it gives you alternatives depending on the weather.

krummholz
09-04-2009, 06:56 PM
If it's at all slick because of rain, going up Ammonusuc Ravine is much better than going down, because it has some fairly rocky sections. Jewell does not have nearly as much steep ledgy rock, so that makes it better for downhill travel. I always find that on ledgy trails it's easier to go up than down. But that's just me...

Brad
09-04-2009, 08:32 PM
If it's at all slick because of rain, going up Ammonusuc Ravine is much better than going down, because it has some fairly rocky sections. Jewell does not have nearly as much steep ledgy rock, so that makes it better for downhill travel. I always find that on ledgy trails it's easier to go up than down. But that's just me...
I have done the Jewell down in the rain and it was fine.

EDoubleu
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and tips. Which ever way we decide to take, it'll be an trip we won't forget. I'm sure the LotC Hut is a nice sight no matter which we come in.