PDA

View Full Version : Flags on the 48 info

Addicted
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
We are planning a hike on Saturday to hopefully see the Flags on the summits. We're not part of any group, just thought it would be a good time hike and reflect. Can anyone tell me what time the flags will make it to the summits, so that we don't miss seeing them??

TrishandAlex
09-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Flags should be up from noon until 2pm on each summit. I'm responsible for Washington this year, and plan on getting up there by 10am to give me PLENTY of time to figure out any unforeseen snafus or flag- stabilizing issues.

EDoubleu
09-08-2009, 02:27 PM
What is this all about? Is there any information available?

Thanks,
Eric

Just answered my own question: http://www.flagsonthe48.org/

Snow Miser
09-08-2009, 08:24 PM
EDoubleu, I just noticed you are a new member on the FOT48 forums. Are you registering for one of the peaks? I would like to do my first FOT48 this year, but can't work out the logistics. Next year I will definitely participate.

EDoubleu
09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
I registered FOT48 yesterday, but haven't received an confirmation email yet. I had a question regarding it though. Friday I am hiking up to Mt. Washington and staying at the hut for the night, along with 3 others. I just happened to find out about the FOT48 yesterday. My question is, can we sign up for a peak for Saturday and start from the hut, considering we'll be up there already on Saturday morning, or do we have to make the complete hike that day with the team? We could do either Monroe or Washington for obvious reasons. Last I checked there was still room on both.

TrishandAlex
09-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I believe you can just show up at a peak. The coordinators are responsible for bringing the flag, etc. You don't really need to sign up at all, just show up.

I'm doing Washington and will be hiking up early Sat morning. We look forward to meeting you up there.

Definitely spend some time on Monroe before head up Big George, though. I think every year there are musicians on Monroe, so the atmosphere there will be nicer than Washington (where it will be just me, trying to make sure the flag is secured correctly).

EDoubleu
09-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I read that too about music on Monroe. Seems like we picked a good weekend to participate in this event. Last I checked there were about 70 people staying at the hut Friday night, so no reason they couldn't all make an appearance at the FOT48 in that area.

Addicted
09-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Music on Monroe? Sweet! Here's to hoping for a great day! Enjoy!