PDA

View Full Version : solo climber looking for direction

nhsportsman
09-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I have never climbed Mt. Washington or any mountain for that matter. I want to climb mtw and started planning a trip up to lake of the clouds, but now no one wants to go so i'm by myself. I don't want to tackle this solo, so what are my best options Ems type trips or clubs in the area that I don't know of any? thanx steve

Snow Miser
09-09-2009, 08:13 PM
If you're ready to go this Saturday, maybe you could tag along with a group doing "Flags on the 48"? Here's a link to what it's all about http://www.flagsonthe48.org/ . If not, there are others on here who can fill you in on clubs, etc. One warning though, your gonna get addicted to the mountain.:)

TrishandAlex
09-09-2009, 10:19 PM
If you want to go to Lakes of the CLouds, I'd head up Ammonoosuc Trail. The Flags team for Washington will be going up the other side of the mountain that day, so if you want company on the way to Lakes, I'd suggest going up with the group "Flagging" Monroe.

claaky23
09-10-2009, 10:47 PM
If you want to go to the Lakes I do suggest going up the Ammo as Trish and Alex said. I'm not sure which trail the Monroe flaggers are using, but another option is to hike alone. I just started hiking last year and I love going by myself to set my own pace. I don't necessarily recommend starting with MTW for your first solo hike though.
While it is a little less safe to go it alone, there are precautions you can take to minimize the risk:
1) Pack accordingly(AMC website has a suggested packing list)
2) Check the weather on the summit, call off the hike if risky.
3) Eat well before the hike.
4) Bring a cell phone, there is occasional service above treeline.
5) Hike within your abilities
6) Let people know where you are going. You can register at Crawford, then again at the Lakes for safety.
I also tell a few family members where I am going and what time I expect to be at certain natural checkpoints, and when I expect to be done. I include an "IF YOU DONT HEAR FROM ME POINT" That way If they don't hear from me at that time, they start to worry.

Hiking solo can be very rewarding and relaxing; additionally it makes it so no one can "ruin" plans by cancelling!!!!

Addicted
09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
With the Flags on the 48 tomorrow, there should be plenty of people on the trails and the summits. So, even if hiking alone, you won't really be alone if something were to happen. I'm not brave enough to hike one of the 'big ones' alone, but I do dream about it. Maybe for my 4oth birthday! Good luck!

Brad
09-11-2009, 05:06 PM
With the Flags on the 48 tomorrow, there should be plenty of people on the trails and the summits. So, even if hiking alone, you won't really be alone if something were to happen. I'm not brave enough to hike one of the 'big ones' alone, but I do dream about it. Maybe for my 4oth birthday! Good luck!
Addicted, I have done MW many times alone - but in the summer on good weather days. As you say, there are always lots of other people out there and many times you connect with someone going at the same pace.

TrishandAlex
09-11-2009, 07:06 PM
We'll be on Tuckerman's at an absolutely ungodly hour. If you pass me by, please donate a large cup of coffee.

However, if you are indeed aiming for Lakes, go up the other side of the mountain via Ammonoosuc.

Brad
09-12-2009, 05:31 AM
We'll be on Tuckerman's at an absolutely ungodly hour. If you pass me by, please donate a large cup of coffee.

However, if you are indeed aiming for Lakes, go up the other side of the mountain via Ammonoosuc.
Are you there yet? I am looking at the 5:15AM Ravines image and see a sall light near the bottom of the image - is that you? Wave if it is. :)

Snow Miser
09-12-2009, 09:24 AM

http://adland.tv/n1rv4n4g8/poster/juan.jpg

I hope you passed this guy on the way up so you could get your large cup of coffee.:)

TrishandAlex
09-12-2009, 09:12 PM
LOL, Snow Miser and Brad!

We got a late start since my alarm clock didn't go off...Alex and I hit the trail at 6am and got up Washington in plenty of time to fly the flag.

It went very well, my friends MadRiver, Susan, and Glen hiked up to help. Hugh and Sage, and another friend named Tobit, drove up the Auto road.

The vast majority of summit visitors voiced their appreciation regarding the flag, most were very nice indeed. However, when we took the flag down, there were a group of French tourists who were very rude about jostling us around...apparantly they couldn't wait one minute for us to dismantle the poles and fold the flag, they HAD to take their summit photo that very second...then there was one American man who told me "this is a public mountain, you're making people wait so you can fold your flag." This, while my 6 and 4 year old daughters were folding it the proper way, out of respect...it took them all of 20 seconds but this man apparantly also felt folks needed to get their summit shots NOW...:mad: Unbelievable. I was shocked at his behavior. I guess getting those touristy photos immediately is more important than showing proper respect for the flag. It would have taken less than 30 seconds for people to wait....but no....push shove, etc.

So other than those moments with the idiots mentioned above at the end of our timeframe, it was a good day. Again, everyone else was pleased, touched, and appreciative.

Brad
09-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Thanks for doing it!

TrishandAlex
09-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Our pleasure! :)

CHRIS
09-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Great job with the flag Trish. You meet all kinds of people and for the most part everybody is nice but there is always some real jerks out there. It should be a god given right that if you meet people like this you should be able to dope slap them.

Snow Miser
09-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks for flying our flag Trish for such a commemorative event! Great job.:)

Some people are just so rude, and they don't respect anyone else or what other people are doing. There's too much of that these days if you ask me.:mad: I'm sure you were more civil about the pushing and shoving than I would have been. I agree with Chris, people like that need to be dope slapped, hopefully teaching them some respect for others.

TrishandAlex
09-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Some people are just so rude, and they don't respect anyone else or what other people are doing. There's too much of that these days if you ask me.:mad: I'm sure you were more civil about the pushing and shoving than I would have been. I agree with Chris, people like that need to be dope slapped, hopefully teaching them some respect for others.

Thanks, Chris and Snow Miser. I regret that I didn't handle it better. I wish I would have turned to the American in a civil manner and explained what we were doing and asked that he please show some respect. Instead, I was so flustered and my temper rose so quickly that I muttered something unintelligible and then complained about him to my friends. :o I didn't respond in the best manner, to say the least.

One can't control other people's behavior, but one can control your own. I really wish I had handled it differently. I am trying to learn to deal with people like that better, I definitely failed yesterday's test.

Anyway, 99% of the day was a huge positive, it went very well. I was proud of my girls, who did their job with the flag very well. We will definitely sign up for this again next year.

Snow Miser
09-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks, Chris and Snow Miser. I regret that I didn't handle it better. I wish I would have turned to the American in a civil manner and explained what we were doing and asked that he please show some respect. Instead, I was so flustered and my temper rose so quickly that I muttered something unintelligible and then complained about him to my friends. :o I didn't respond in the best manner, to say the least.

One can't control other people's behavior, but one can control your own. I really wish I had handled it differently. I am trying to learn to deal with people like that better, I definitely failed yesterday's test.

Anyway, 99% of the day was a huge positive, it went very well. I was proud of my girls, who did their job with the flag very well. We will definitely sign up for this again next year.

It sounds to me like you handled yourself very well under the conditions. One little muttered comment under ones breath isn't so bad. Glad to hear that 99% of the day was a huge positive. And I think it's great that you're teaching your daughters how to handle and fold the American Flag!:)

TrishandAlex
09-13-2009, 05:46 PM
It sounds to me like you handled yourself very well under the conditions. One little muttered comment under ones breath isn't so bad. Glad to hear that 99% of the day was a huge positive. And I think it's great that you're teaching your daughters how to handle and fold the American Flag!:)

Thanks Bob. Only it wasn't one little mutteres comment. I really railed about him to me friends, and I think he was within earshot. Rather passive-aggressive of me. Must learn how to calm myself down and handled these kinds of things better.

Anyway, yes, every single other aspect of the day was fantastic. We were honored to be able to do this, and we will definitely do this again next year!

mtruman
09-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks Trish, Alex, Sage and Hugh for representing us on Mt Washington. I'm also sorry that you were subjected to the rude behavior - particularly considering what you were doing. It never ceases to amaze me how people can act. I always love to watch the people that have driven up or taken the cog pushing their way through the line to get their picture taken at the summit sign - often forcing hikers out of the way in the process. It isn't that they shouldn't be able to do it too. A little common courtesy wouldn't hurt though.

TrishandAlex
09-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks. It really was a great day, that was the only negative. Probably shouldn't have included it in the TR, but it just surprised and flustered me so much that I wrote about it. The entire rest of the day was great though, and I would definitely like to do this again!

Addicted
09-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I can't believe that people are so ignorant and disrespectful. My boyfriend's cousin is in the Marines and wanted to hike Washington this summer. Since he just graduated boot camp and couldn't be around to do it, his dad took that Marine flag to the summit with him when he hiked Mt W and when he pulled it out for his summit picture, everyone parted and gave him space and showed a ton of respect. I'm sorry they didn't show you the same. Obviously auto road or cog travelers that get the summit pic cause it's 'cool' and not because they earned it.

Snow Miser
09-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I can't believe that people are so ignorant and disrespectful. My boyfriend's cousin is in the Marines and wanted to hike Washington this summer. Since he just graduated boot camp and couldn't be around to do it, his dad took that Marine flag to the summit with him when he hiked Mt W and when he pulled it out for his summit picture, everyone parted and gave him space and showed a ton of respect. I'm sorry they didn't show you the same. Obviously auto road or cog travelers that get the summit pic cause it's 'cool' and not because they earned it.

Perhaps everyone around your boyfriend's cousin's father was an American and CARED a little more about what the flag(s) stand for, unlike those rude visitors who treated Trish in such a poor manner. They should be ashamed of themselves, coming into this country and not respecting us and our traditions.:mad:

Also, kudos to the young man you speak of for passing boot camp and helping to keep our country safe.:)

CHRIS
09-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Kudos indeed to that young man. I was at the graduation ceremony @ Paris Island S.C. when my son graduated boot camp as a U.S. Marine. It brought tears to everyones eyes that were there. As far as people coming into our country and not respecting our traditions they should just stay in their own country. Sorry for being so blunt but it aggrevates me and Trish and everyone with her definetly should not have been treated like that.

TrishandAlex
09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks, guys. :)

It should be noted that the group that jostled spoke French...but the one man who said something to me was NOT in that group...he was an American, and dressed as though he had hiked to the summit. He was the one who scolded me for making anyone wait while my two small children properly folded the flag, and he made the statement about this being a public mountain (meaning I should hurry up and get out of the way so the tourists could take their pictures NOW)...

However, he's now been roundly thumped by people on three different hiking forums...so if he's out there and reading this then I think/hope he has gotten the message. Show respect for the American flag. Tourists can wait a minute.

Addicted
09-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Parris Island is definately a place of respect, I couldn't believe how respectful all the young men were and most of the visitors. Trish, I have a pretty short fuse, maybe I should Washington next year and help fight off the disrespectful summit hogs!