PDA

View Full Version : New England Fall events

UncleFester
09-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Can anyone suggest some good September fall events? Besides hiking?

My G/F and I want to do some leaf peeping but also want to plan it around some other things too, something like a really great apple orchard or a festival.

I'm in CT but we can do a road trip.

Thanks

Snow Miser
09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I can't think of any off the top of my head since I don't live in New England, yet! But I'm sure if you Google the topic you would find calendars with tons of events listed.

FisherCat
09-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Fryeburg Fair. A must.

Details here:

http://www.fryeburgfair.com/

Brad
09-11-2009, 05:54 AM
I agree - Fryeburg fair is an experience you must do. Check out Woodsman Day - Monday. And make sure to get there early in the day!

mtruman
09-11-2009, 08:14 AM
The Big E (Eastern State Exposition) is good too (and closer for you in CT than Fryeburg).

spyboy
09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
I was just up at Windy Ridge Orchard in North Haverhill, NH. You take I-93 north through NH to Lincoln, then head west on 112.

http://www.windyridgeorchard.com/

They serve breakfast and lunch (and have awesome cider donuts). You can go apple picking, check out the farm animals, and enjoy the view of Vermont across the valley.

Drive up for breakfast, then go apple picking. Afterwards, head back towards Lincoln on 112, and stop at Lost River for a nice crawl through the rocks and work up an appetite.

Stop in Woodstock, and have lunch at the Woodstock Inn (always great food).

Continue on 112 through Lincoln and enjoy the views from the Kancamagus Highway as you head to Conway. The Kanc is always a great leaf peeping drive.

Once you reach Conway, head north into North Conway (and stop at the Weather Discovery Center of course!) then head up to the vista in Intervale with views of Mt Washington.

If you want lighter fare, Flatbread's (across from the Weather Discovery Center) makes awesome wood fired/clay oven pizza with all organic ingredients.

Head south from N Conway, and take Rte 25 back towards the Lakes Region. That will eventually bring you out to I-93.

That's a good day trip (might be long from CT) gives you the mountains and lakes of NH :)

Kirk

spyboy
09-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Here's the link to the NH Foliage report.

http://foliage.visitnh.gov.ns1www.silvertech.net/index-flash.html

And here's a list of Fairs going on in NH

http://www.nhfairs.com/fairdates.htm

Kirk

mtruman
09-11-2009, 10:43 AM
I was just up at Windy Ridge Orchard in North Haverhill, NH. You take I-93 north through NH to Lincoln, then head west on 112.

http://www.windyridgeorchard.com/

They serve breakfast and lunch (and have awesome cider donuts). You can go apple picking, check out the farm animals, and enjoy the view of Vermont across the valley.

Drive up for breakfast, then go apple picking. Afterwards, head back towards Lincoln on 112, and stop at Lost River for a nice crawl through the rocks and work up an appetite.

Stop in Woodstock, and have lunch at the Woodstock Inn (always great food).

Continue on 112 through Lincoln and enjoy the views from the Kancamagus Highway as you head to Conway. The Kanc is always a great leaf peeping drive.

Once you reach Conway, head north into North Conway (and stop at the Weather Discovery Center of course!) then head up to the vista in Intervale with views of Mt Washington.

If you want lighter fare, Flatbread's (across from the Weather Discovery Center) makes awesome wood fired/clay oven pizza with all organic ingredients.

Head south from N Conway, and take Rte 25 back towards the Lakes Region. That will eventually bring you out to I-93.

That's a good day trip (might be long from CT) gives you the mountains and lakes of NH :)

Kirk

If there is a perfect day in the White Mountains that doesn't involve hiking this sure sounds like it. Haven't been to the orchard but it sounds great. Lost River definitely = fun. Woodstock Station is our favorite restaurant in that area by far and we always eat there once or twice during any stay. Kanc is definitely great for leaf peeping (except for the traffic during peak). In N Conway the only problem is choosing between Flatbread and Moat Mountain Brewery. Best bet is to stay an extra day and do both!

UncleFester
09-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Wow, great stuff, thanks for the info. I have some starting points :)

JimS
09-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I've not been, but I've heard that the octoberfest at attitash is a good time. In addition to the other fair mentioned, the sandwich fair is a good time...in a beautiful part of the state.

Snow Miser
09-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Uncle Fester, with all these recommendations, you may just want to schedule a week up there.:D

Brad
09-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Please note the number of times SpyBoy mentions places to eat. Need I say more? I am sure he has pictures of food at each place too.

Brad
09-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Going up the gondola at Cannon Mt can be fun for folks too.

Snow Miser
09-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Please note the number of times SpyBoy mentions places to eat. Need I say more? I am sure he has pictures of food at each place too.

Good observation Brad!:D

mtruman
09-11-2009, 02:18 PM

And what's wrong with that? ;)

I like pictures with my restaurant recommendations!

Brad
09-11-2009, 02:20 PM
It would be interesting to take his cell phone and see what percentage of photos are of food. My guess is it could be 85-90%.

mtruman
09-11-2009, 02:27 PM
It would be interesting to take his cell phone and see what percentage of photos are of food. My guess is it could be 85-90%.

Actually, some nice "food panos" taken from the center of the table would be nice...

UncleFester
09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
All this talk of food reminded me of a little place i like to stop on RT 84 in CT, it's right on the border of CT and mass before you hit Sturbridge.

It's called book and breakfast, a small diner that has walls of books, the deal is you can take one if you want, all old donated books. Really great atmosphere and food too, lots of bird feeders out of every big picture window so there's always a nice view. Not particularly near anything special besides Sturbridge, but worth stopping if you're passing through.

Brad
09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
All this talk of food reminded me of a little place i like to stop on RT 84 in CT, it's right on the border of CT and mass before you hit Sturbridge.

It's called book and breakfast, a small diner that has walls of books, the deal is you can take one if you want, all old donated books. Really great atmosphere and food too, lots of bird feeders out of every big picture window so there's always a nice view. Not particularly near anything special besides Sturbridge, but worth stopping if you're passing through.
I have seen the sign for the place as I drove by many times - but have never stopped. I might have to do that if I pass by in the daytime someday.

spyboy
09-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Come on now, part of a weekend getaway is the food!

Fall crisp air, the colors, apple cider donuts (yes, I LOVE those). Last year I drove 2 hours over to Stowe, VT (ok I think it's really in Waterbury Center) to go to the one orchard one Route 100 (can't think of the name of it).

I used to go every fall when I lived in Vermont, then moved away (TX, FL, etc). So last year was the first time I had been there since '99.

Kirk

Brad
09-12-2009, 05:32 AM
So, you have some catch up to do.

Snow Miser
09-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Come on now, part of a weekend getaway is the food!

Fall crisp air, the colors, apple cider donuts (yes, I LOVE those). Last year I drove 2 hours over to Stowe, VT (ok I think it's really in Waterbury Center) to go to the one orchard one Route 100 (can't think of the name of it).

I used to go every fall when I lived in Vermont, then moved away (TX, FL, etc). So last year was the first time I had been there since '99.

Kirk

You're right about the food getaways Kirk. We will often times see a place showcased on the Food Network and schedule a trip around going there. One of the last trips was from Philly to Pittsburgh for a Primanti Bros sandwich. The distance may sound crazy to some, but when you lay your teeth into one of those sandwiches, distance doesn't matter.

KD Talbot
09-12-2009, 11:31 AM
The Highland games at Loon Mountain on the Kanc in Lincoln. This event is awesome unless you hate bagpipes, are nervous around men in kilts and can't stomach haggis, then I'd say, "Just stay home!"

http://www.nhscot.org/

KDT

mtruman
09-12-2009, 12:28 PM
The Highland games at Loon Mountain on the Kanc in Lincoln. This event is awesome unless you hate bagpipes, are nervous around men in kilts and can't stomach haggis, then I'd say, "Just stay home!"

http://www.nhscot.org/

KDT

Same goes for those that are nervous around haggis and can't stomach men in kilts. :rolleyes:

spyboy
09-12-2009, 02:24 PM
I can't stand bagpipes. One song, off in the distance is ok, but when you're close to them, it's freakin' loud and song and song, blah!

Same goes for those that are nervous around haggis and can't stomach men in kilts. :rolleyes:

KathyC
09-13-2009, 09:11 AM
I love the ribs at Delaney's Hole in the Wall, White Mt. Highway in No. Conway. And I loved the prime rib at Merlino's steak house in No. Conway, though the last two times I've been there it seems to have gone down hill a little.

Nothing is better then Autumn in New England, we stayed in Mystic last weekend and I was excited because it already started to feel like fall. I can't wait to go up to No. Conway in mid. October for my Birthday again. My sister and I do an annual trip up for a girls get away.

I don't think we'll go up Mt. Washington this time, but would I be able to leave a care package for Marty and the Observers at the weather center or maybe at base of the Auto Road?

Brad
09-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Kathy,

I have left things at the Discovery Center in N Conway and they have been taken to the summit for me. I was concerned whether the large boxes of microwave popcorn would make it but I have been told they were delivered.

Tim&Val
09-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Hollis, in southern NH, has an apple festival right on the square in town. I went to it with my sister and her family a few years ago (before I moved to NH). Talk about food... it was like apple crisp and vanilla ice cream with a cider chaser. YUM!!!!

Here's a link! (http://www.hollistownband.org/apple.htm)

Valerie

Snow Miser
09-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Hollis, in southern NH, has an apple festival right on the square in town. I went to it with my sister and her family a few years ago (before I moved to NH). Talk about food... it was like apple crisp and vanilla ice cream with a cider chaser. YUM!!!!

Here's a link! (http://www.hollistownband.org/apple.htm)

Valerie

You're making us very hungry Valerie.:D

Brad
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Last fall there was a apple cider place Kirk posted pictures of just west of Meredith, NH - and if I remember correctly, there was a tour day of different places in NH. Kirk, can you update us on that?

KathyC
09-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Thank you Brad, I have a month to get the goodie bag together.

spyboy
09-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Picnic Rock Stand, when you're heading towards Weirs Beach from Meredith, it's on the left.

They sell apple cider, but it's not theirs, they don't have an orchard.

There's Cardigan Mountain Orchard in Alexandria, NH.

http://www.cardiganmountainorchard.com/

Last year, they had an old truck parked down at the Town Docks selling apples and cider, great stuff. Pure cider, unpasteurized and no ascorbic acid added. I find that's the only cider I can drink, all the processed stuff gives me major stomach aches :(

Kirk

Last fall there was a apple cider place Kirk posted pictures of just west of Meredith, NH - and if I remember correctly, there was a tour day of different places in NH. Kirk, can you update us on that?

Magpie
09-15-2009, 06:49 PM

That place is great. I found it many years ago, but forgot were it was. I picked up a couple dozen books for like $10- and had a huge turkey dinner.
Thanks for the reminder.

KathyC
10-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I went apple picking in Glastenbury CT. this past Saturday. I had cider donuts for the first time, they were GREAT!!!:D

Anna LeBlanc
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Kathy,were they regular cider donuts or the spiked variety to celebrate the Red Sox losing?:D:p:D

MelNino
10-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I LOVE apple cider doughnuts.

We did some apple and pear picking, hit the Big E and the Durham fair, and are going to the Pumpkin Fest up in Keene this weekend.

Love the fall.

Also going to spend a week in Lincoln, NH next month, and now that my leg finally healed, I can hike again!!!!

Charlie
10-16-2009, 09:05 PM
i had some apple cider doughnuts for the first time last weekend when i was in VT .i will be going back next Thursday and i will have to get some to eat then and bring some over to Brads for lunch on sat

KathyC
10-21-2009, 01:36 PM
We tried two new places to eat in No. Conway, we were very pleased with both.

Houligans, right around the corner from Horse Feathers. We both had the Salmon special which was excellent!! We had a caraffe of wine, my sister had one glass and I had the rest.....:p

The whole menu looked really good. The waitress asked the couple next to us how their dinner was, the guy replied ok, but a little spicey. I looked at his plate and it was perfectly clean. They comped. him the dinner.

We also tried The Black Hat, a really new place on 16 almost across from Settlers Green but a litte further down next to a gas station and ice cream place. We had huge salads, burgers and fries ( I had a few Coors Lights ). I ordered mine well, it came out med.. Not a problem, they took it back and gave me what I wanted piping hot and was SOO GOOOOOD!! Then we shared a yummy chololate and peanut butter cake.

We always eat at Delayney's, the best Ribs!!

hobbes
10-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Cider donuts can be had at the White Mountain Cider Co. (http://www.whitemountaincider.com/cider.html) in Glen right on 302. Yum!

We also tried The Black Hat

Hi Kathy, do you mean the Black Cap Grill? It opened up earlier this year next to EMS (on the Walgreen's side). A little pricey, but good food/service.

KathyC
10-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes, sorry. The Black cap grill.

MelNino
10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
More apple and pumpkin picking today...at Lyman Orchards in CT. I was going through a fruit withdrawal....store bought apples just don't taste as good anymore :)

ColdWeatherClimber
11-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Keene Pumpkin Festival.... but I heard they were going to stop doing it. That sucks, I think they should keep it up as it's a tradition now.

MelNino
11-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Really? Where did you hear they were gonna stop Pumpkin Fest? There are so many people there this year (and a new record for pumpkins) I can't see them stopping it.....that would really bite if they did