PDA

View Full Version : Day hikes Mass or Conn

Uncas
09-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey all,

Looks like my wife doesnt want me climbing Mt. Washington this winter as I would be away a couple of days and she is pregnant.
I am going to try to get up there in Novemebr and hope for some nice Ice and Snow.
But as far as the rest of the year goes, I will only be able to get in some day hikes. Can someone let me know of an area in The Connecticut or Mass area that would require hiking in Crampons? Im not looking to Ice climb just somewhere where I can break out new crampons and winter boots for a few hours.

Gorque
09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
St. John's Ledges is an interesting section of the A.T., though once your past that, it becomes rather tame. The same could be said for the north side of Bear Mountain.

billysinc
09-10-2009, 05:51 PM
The backside of Wachusett is nice. Then of course Monadnock is just over the border.

climbabout
09-10-2009, 06:24 PM
North side of bear mountain would be my suggestion. Also some of the trails on MT Everett an Greylock in MA - of course depending on conditions.
Tim

redthorne
09-10-2009, 10:36 PM
What part of Massachusetts; Western, Central, Boston?

Uncas
09-11-2009, 03:05 PM
RedThorn- Im coming from new haven area, so anything within 3 hour I guess.

On bear mountain, can someone tell me where the trailhead is for the north side. Ive hiked here before- but believe I went from the south.

climbabout
09-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I've always taken the undermountain trail/paradise lane trail into sages ravine, then back up the north side.
Tim

Gorque
09-12-2009, 05:31 PM
The north side of Cobble Mountain in Macedonia State Park is also a decent climb.

Gorque
09-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Another steep trail that would be of interest in the winter is the left trail fork of the yellow blazed Jessie Gerard Trail in the American Legion and Peoples State Forest. This trail is steep and also utilizes 299 stone steps before reaching the Chaugham Lookouts. The right fork is less steep and it leads one past the old Indian Settlement known as Barkhamsted Lighthouse and it's nearby Indian burial site.

redthorne
09-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Another steep trail that would be of interest in the winter is the left trail fork of the yellow blazed Jessie Gerard Trail in the American Legion and Peoples State Forest. This trail is steep and also utilizes 299 stone steps before reaching the Chaugham Lookouts. The right fork is less steep and it leads one past the old Indian Settlement known as Barkhamsted Lighthouse and it's nearby Indian burial site.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Uncas
09-16-2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks I will check this out as well, looks perfect.

_

I've always taken the undermountain trail/paradise lane trail into sages ravine, then back up the north side.
Tim

Ok, thats the one I did last winter a couple of times, I forgot about the section that hits the AT and climbs the north side to get to the summit.