PDA

View Full Version : Need a Difficult Hike

bluecf66
09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm planning to do a Presidential Traverse in the next week. I've done a lot of reading about safety measures and planning, and I've already plotted out my route/timing/escape routes, so I don't have any questions about that.

I've done a few major hikes in the area, mostly to test my stamina. I did Moosilauke, Lafayette/Lincoln/Little Haystack, and Liberty/Flume over the course of 3 days, and I completed all well within book time and with little discomfort. So I'm feeling confident about that. However, I want to do at least one really difficult hike before I attempt a Presi Traverse. Any suggestions?

KD Talbot
09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
I'd say if you can manage those hikes in the course of three days you are ready. They do not compare with the rock-hopping you will be facing but I'd say they are difficult in their own way to do back to back.

The most comparable thing I think you can do without actually doing a Presi Traverse would be a Bond Traverse. Start at Zealand Rd. and hit Hale, Zealand, Guyot, West Bond, Bond and Bondcliff then exit by Lincoln Woods.

Quite a bit of elevation gain though there are long stretches of flat hiking at the start and finish. Comparable mileage to a Presi Traverse. Beautiful territory. Depending on the weather for both hikes you may like this better than the Presi traverse.

KDT

Bill O
09-11-2009, 11:21 AM
I agree with Kevin in that you are probably in good enough shape to complete the hike. I'm a big fan of rest and recovery instead of over-training. If you're still looking for a difficult hike I'll leave it open to those who know more about the area.

smithtim
09-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I defintley agree that if you can do those hikes in that period of time you are in good shape to do it ( Flume slide is one of the more challenging hikes in the whites) and also second the idea of rest and realx

If you really want to do one maybee try kings ravine area.. it looks like there are a lot of loops you can create up there with the airline trail or lowes... I've never actually done the full loop but what looks like an interesting loop is to come in on airline take the cut onto kings ravine trail then in the ravine take the right up the steep part; once you get up top there is a few options of getting back down depednign on how much time / distance you want... It can be done in as little as 7 miles or if you are creative you can push it up into the 10+ range

best of luck on the trip

krummholz
09-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I agree that the best thing is probably to rest the day or so before starting, but the one thing that you will encounter constantly on the traverse that you won't encounter on Franconia Ridge, Flume, the Bonds, or Moosilauke, is constant boulder-hopping. Therefore, if you do happen to have a couple of days to recover before doing the traverse, I would do something in the northern Presies with extended time above treeline. Anything from Route 2 up to Adams or Jefferson or Madison or a combination would be the best. Don't do it the day before your traverse!

Addicted
09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Jefferson defiantely has lots of rocks and above treeline hiking. And it's only 5 miles, so it's a fairly quick hike (Caps Ridge).

claaky23
09-11-2009, 06:15 PM
As a track coach, I don't recommend doing anything too strenuous 4-5 days before the hike if you want to be in the best possible condition for it. I'm planning a Presi for next summer when the days are longer and have my climbs leading up to it generally planned. The week of the traverse, all I'm slated to do is Monadnock (1850 ft, 4 mi.) to get the blood flowing. It looks like you have most of your prep. under your belt already so contingent on weather, you should be fine; adding a long hike too close to the traverse could be detrimental.