PDA

View Full Version : Trail Selection Help

Survivor_One
09-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi!

I will be hiking up mt washington this weekend with some friends, and we haven't yet selected a trail.

I have hiked the ammo up and down a number of times, and am thinking about the ammo up and jewel down this time.

I know a couple of my friends want to do tuckermans ravine, but i'm afraid of heights, and have heard there is more "exposure" on the tuck ravine trail, and i'm not sure that it would be as enjoyable for me.

Question: Can anyone provide me with a comparison of some of the steep/exposed sections of the ammo vrs. tuckermans trail?

Thanks!

mtruman
09-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I haven't been on the Ammo but have used Lion Head up and Tucks down both times we did Washington. I am not good with heights and I never had anywhere that I felt at all exposed going down Tucks (and up would have been even less of an issue). There are a couple of spots on Lion Head that are definitely easier going up than down and I might have had minor uneasiness in those spots but nothing really bad.

Brad
09-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Lion Head is steep and in the trees till you are up on the Alpine garden. Then it is exposed to the weather but not uncomfortable for folks who do not like heights. The Headwall could be a bit of a problem going down as you are right out there and the "view" might be tough for some people.

On the western side you already know about the Ammo trail - protected almost all the way to Lakes of the Clouds hut - then exposed to the weather to the summit - but not scary on the edge type of thing. Going down the Jewell is very nice - a long stretch exposed to the weather and one short bit as you skirt around the Great Gulf on the right. For that bit you are looking out into the ravine and the trail is close, but still should not be an issue.

My vote would be Ammo up - Jewell down. Then see how that goes for first timers.

Addicted
09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
I was surprised by how not scary Tux was. I'm not afraid of heights, but I kept waiting to feel "out there" or exposed on the way up, and I really didnt' get that feeling. Looking back at what we actually did, I'm always amazed that I didn't feel like I might off into the ravine, but looks can be deceiving. The view is amazing, and takes the focus off of the steep wall and the fact that you're hiking up a ravine.